Is this an SP.3/AMD processor problem?

Valerie

Win XP Home, Gateway W3107, AMD Sempron 3100+, 512mb ram.

The pc has slowed considerably, been checked for malware & clean as a whistle. Runs AVG with Comodo and Spywareblaster. Whenever an attempt is made to open a desktop folder the error message displayed is "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close...".

The condition arose about 2 weeks ago but the user has no idea when SP.3 was installed, presumably during Win updates.

If the decision is made to uninstall SP.3 are there likely to be disastrous consequences, no hardware or software has been added. The user does not have an XP install disk of any kind.

Thanks

V.

Edited by Valerie

Answering just the question in your topic title, no this is not a SP3/AMD problem. That affected only HP computers and then only if an HP install or recovery disk had been used. The problem (short version) was that HP installed an Intel driver file on the CD sent out with all computers, including those with AMD processors.

If you really need to know, it is not too difficult to determine when SP3 was installed, by looking in the registry and/or in WindowsUpdate.log or (simplest of all) by using Nir Sofer's WinUpdatesList (wul.exe).

I would not like to see SP3 installed or uninstalled whilst both AVG and Comodo are running, but then I am naturally cautious when installing Service Packs!

i was called to a friends home this afternoon to sort his computer out which kept re - booting halfway through booting up. my friend had installed windows xp sp3 this morning and thats when the problems started ,after thinking things over and deciding the best options for him ( as he's not very technically minded ) i decided to do a system restore for him and things are back to normal. his computer is a hp and a AMD based system anyone any clues how to fix this bug . B)