Sugestions

Apollo232

Hi there ! :hello:

0 _ First of all i would like to thank you to offering this alternative. :wub:

I used Winrar & Winzip on my computer before finding this exceptional Universal Extractor.

Well, I have few suggestions that are maybe caused by the previous softwares, that I had used to work with.

These concern mainly the graphical interface.

I put numbers, it's easier to quote in this way...

1 _ Well that would be nice if we could choose on witch files we want the integration shell. For example I don't want to see "uniextract there" on shortcut Icon.

2 _ To Regroup the options in the shell context menu

3 _ Have a possibility to see what is in the archive without extracting it.

4 _ That is absolutely off topic (and I'm sorry for that) but even if this software is called universal"extractor" that would be really great to have the possibility to "Compress" !

5 _ Sorry for my english, I'm french and still learning the Shakespeare's language. :whistle:

6 _ Thanks to reading me.

7 _ see you soon :hello:

Well that would be nice if we could choose on witch files we want the integration shell. For example I don't want to see "uniextract there" on shortcut Icon.

You can. These options are on the "Select Additional Tasks" page of the installer.

To Regroup the options in the shell context menu

What do you mean?

Have a possibility to see what is in the archive without extracting it.

I agree that'd be nice, but there are some technical challenges involved. Feel free to add it to the Feature Request thread, though. It's worth looking into.

That is absolutely off topic (and I'm sorry for that) but even if this software is called universal"extractor" that would be really great to have the possibility to "Compress"!

This has come up once or twice before, and the file compression is fundamentally a completely different problem than what UniExtract is meant to solve. For some archiving utilities, such as WinZip, it makes sense to do both; WinZip is meant to control Zip files, which can be both compressed and extracted, so it makes sense that WinZip should be able to handle both operations.

However, UniExtract deals with all kinds of different formats, including executables, ISO CD-ROM images, etc. This is stuff that simply can't be packed or compressed in the traditional sense. If you extract files from a Wise installer, for example, and want to replace one of the included files with your own, you can't recreate that installer without using Wise's own utilities. UniExtract can't do anything about this.

If you want to be able to create archives in multiple different formats, I suggest using 7-Zip. It has pretty flexible format support, and can handle most non-proprietary formats.

I *think* he means to put all menu items into a submenu.

Ahh. That makes sense. THanks for the clarification.

This issue has come up a whole lot. Please search the original Universal Extractor thread for lots of discussion on why it hasn't been implemented, and why it (unfortunately) likely won't be implemented any time soon.