Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
are you sure the "resetting devicepath" in my post doesn't work?
I don't know how to check this, which key is it?

also, what is the effect of not resseting devicepath?
because my install seemed to go quite fine... (other probs, but unrelated to this)

Edited by a06lp, 09 January 2005 - 12:50 PM.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
positive it doesnt reset the devicepath...ill have to find the key...and pyron posted that it is a good idea to set it back to the default value AFTER windows is installed. Altho since you dont run setup.exe in your presetup.cmd, resetting the devicepath (and it actually working) would result in windows only looking at the inf folder, so in your case, its prolly good that it doesnt work like its supposed to.

EDIT: this is the key
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion]
"DevicePath"=

When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
@a06lp: thank you! I've read the entire topic just now, and I was going to test ile5's fix myself. Thanks to you I won't have to do that. (again a confirmation that it's working...) So I will use ile5's fix in the next release of my DriverPacks.

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
@evilvoice:

if you run setdevicepatch %systemroot%\inf, it just adds %systemroot%\inf to the end of what is already in the reg key (which is %CDDRIVE%\OEM\drivers), if you dont believe me, go look at the key

I'm going to have to disagree. I did a full clean install, and I just looked at my registry, and my
"DevicePath" = %Systemroot%\Inf
Did you ACTUALLY test it? Because I did, and that's what shows... so it DOES work.

@Bâshrat the Sneaky:
You're very welcome. Though I should thank YOU for all your help!
I figured I'd read through it all, ask my questions, and then post a WORKING SOLUTION.
Ideally, we could update that first post and replace it with my post, so no one else gets mislead. :)

[edit]
PS - I am doing ANOTHER clean install sometime in the next few days.
I'm sure it still works fine, but I will post more results again.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
I did an install in vmware, whats really funny is that %systemroot%\inf isnt in my devicepath UNTIL I run setdevicepath %systemroot%\inf...and when I go look at the key, it has a whole huge string and voila, at the end is %systemroot%\inf...whats even funnier is I delete the key before running setdevicepath using reg delete.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
i dont know, maybe its a vmware problem?
it works for me, and i'll do another test sometime in the next few days, and ill post results.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
ok, i see now, you actually have setdevicepath reset the key DURING windows setup...I dont have mine running until AFTER windows setup, like when the computer is shutting down...hmm, Ill have to change my presetup.cmd to reflect your change and then I guess itll be fixed...windows may have a problem resetting it when its trying to restart. I am actually going to use your method for another thing - reseting driverp policy back to what windows wants it as. I was having the hardest time getting that to work, but MAYBE if I run it when runonceex is executed in windows setup, it will work...and yes, runonceex DOES get executed during windows setup..I dunno the exact time but its after installing drivers.

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
well, i was just saying my method works. :)

mediapla

mediapla

Junior

• Pip
  • 76 posts
  • Joined 08-November 04
Hallo, maybe im a newbie, but i have found and tested some interesting things. So i install my "drivers from CD" without (!!!) "patched" XP files and it runs very well. The way is the detachedprogram line in winnt.sif. There i start a cmd file (is copied on textmode setup to HDD) that runs on t39, search for the CD/DVD drive and runs the there the needed 7zip.exe File.(I have a desktop and a notebook archiv). That file is expanded to HDD and MUST have the same path like OEMPNPDriverspath in winnt.sif. You dont see any DOS Window - thanks to cmdow. I have to support many configurations(PC-Tech), so my driverpack is 253MB(packed) and it expands a few minutes. But it runs very well, all PnP Drivers are installed (the inf Versions), testet from Celeron 1300 - 3,4GHz Pentium machines also on various HDs (40-250GB). Id never thought, that it is so easy to install. Because i have a multiboot DVD with more than 30 XP versions (preactivated manufacturer versions, Home/Pro/MCE) - i need the space . In earlier times i used the method with a own $OEM$ and other subdirs for each version, but that cost too much space...so i tried a other way and it runs very fine. :thumbup

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
I just completed my second real-world test of my method (described here), and, once again, it worked perfectly!

Also, in this test I tried new types of folder names ("Dell TrueMobile" as opposed to my old "DellTM", and "Uniden WLAN" as opposed to my old "WLAN"). Spaces are allowed, and the method still works perfectly!

I updated my guide to reflect this.

PS - evilvoice: Just as in my first test, my "DevicePath" = %Systemroot%\Inf :thumbup :thumbup

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
yes yes yes :P I told ya I misread the thing...didnt notice you run setdevicepath to reset itself during runonceex...

beaumar

beaumar

• 17 posts
  • Joined 09-December 04
Hello,

Just posting this to reiterate a point that evilvoice made and that ppl may miss ( I know I almost did!):

A06LP HAS POSTED A MODIFIED PRESETUP.CMD! If you're using Method 2 with Bashrat's compressed driver packs, be SURE to add the following lines to A06lp's presetup.cmd:

REM +===============================================+
REM | If you are using compressed drivers unpack them here: |
REM |-------------------------------------------------------|
%SystemDrive%
cd \
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\DriverPack_*.7z -o"%SYSTEMDRIVE%"

Also, as long as I'm at it, I may as well point out that if you're using Method 2 you'll need to REM out the
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\drivers
line and remove the "REM" on this line:
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\SetDevicePath.exe %SystemDrive%\drivers

I was *this* close to copying the presetup.cmd to my I386 dir without actually going thru it when I noticed the file size was about half the original one. I shudder to think about all the time I would have spent trying to troubleshoot this if I hadn't! :wacko:

Hope I head off some potential probs for others...
As always, thx to all who put in their $.02!

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
Ok, updated my zip to include (commented out) sections in presetup.cmd so that it can be further modified for compressed drivers, and a few other things. Same post.

The guide still follows how to install uncompressed drivers from CD, and the steps are still the same, so no one else has to worry.

This update is only for those who want to modify the files a little (and understand how to do so).
Everyone else just follow steps 1-7, and it will work.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
a few updates about your script a06lp...it seems that your runonceex keys are getting set BEFORE devices are installed...I checked this while drivers were supposedly being installed by going to the registry key and it only had %systemroot%\inf in the key...no other values...I am currently looking at how to get it to take the runonceex keys and also start setup correctly, but yea, if you check the registry key, you will see what Im talking about...another note, it seems watchdriversingingpolicy.exe is never started, but that could be on my end since I had it killing itself in runonceex (which was executing before installing drivers)...but install windows one more time, and right when setup starts, hit Shift+F10 and then type taskmgr to see if watchdriversigningpolicy.exe is still running, and also type regedit and goto HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and check if devicepath=something other than %systemroot%\inf

PS my script is almost exactly like yours now.

PPS Im not trying to be difficult about this, Im just hoping to come to a complete solution :) I am also not trying to discourage you, you found out what was giving me errors before for which I appreciate.

Afterdawn

Afterdawn

• PipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Joined 04-November 04
Never mind :whistle:

Edited by Afterdawn, 17 January 2005 - 05:14 PM.

I went to the doctor the other day and he said I was a paranoid schizophrenic... Well, he didn't actually say it, but we know what he was thinking.

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
@evilvoice:
Before I even try what you are saying:
Have you tried to install winxp using this method in a real-world environment? or is this all VMWare speculation?

maybe some of what I posted should happen isnt happening, but at the end of the day my drivers installed.
therefore i must ask you to try it out on a real test system (or your own, with another winxp copy handy incase it doesnt work) and then post your results.

larciel

larciel

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 06-December 03
need help with setup

presetup.cmd file is missing

continue with normal setup?

'click yes' and it displays setuporg.exe file is missing

ran with vmware

presetup.cmd and setup.ex_ and setuporg.exe file is in i386 folder

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
@larciel:
This sounds a LOT like new_user's post here.
Look at ile5's reply here.
Did you follow ALL the steps? 1-7?
Epecially editing "Txtsetup.sif" in i386 folder (Step 7)??

Also, you do realize that VMWare won't install your drivers, (since it doesn't really use your machine's hardware) right?

larciel

larciel

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 06-December 03
thanks for pointing that out

"
For test try to put this three files in the same directory:
- setup.exe,presetup.cmd,SetupORG.exe
("SetupORG.exe" is renamed original windows "setup.exe")
Edit presetup.cmd and leave only this:

presetup.cmd:

CODE  

if exist setup.exe ren setup.exe setupold.exe
if exist setupORG.exe ren setupORG.exe setup.exe
exit

Execute "setup.exe".

If "windows Xp Setup" window is pop up with "Please go to Control Panel..."
everything is fine because setup is started without parameter.
."

i emulated that. and setup only renames 'setup.exe to setupold.exe' and setuporg.exe to setup.exe and nothing happens.

txtsetup.sif has all neccessary info.

any idea ? :) thanks in adv

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
have you made any other changes to your CD that may be impacting this?
do you use nlite?
i can confirm that it all works fine on my end, so there must be something different about your U-CD.

larciel

larciel

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Joined 06-December 03
yeah i played with nlite

i'm going to make one from clean install

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
try a real cd, without using nlite. let me know what happens.

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Joined 19-August 04
@Everyone:

Well, I performed two more real-world tests, and thought I'd share:
1) Following all my steps from my post, but leaving my "drivers" folder empty (to see whether the drivers were really being installed, or happened to be WinXP default drivers)
Result: Drivers did not install. (That's good. :) This shows that the drivers, when placed in the "drivers" folder, actually DO install, as shown in the test immediatly below.)
2) Followed all my steps (as written)
Result: Drivers did install.

Once again, this is more proof that the method works. 3 fully operational trials proves this very well for me.

Cunning1inguist

Cunning1inguist

Vir bonus, dicendi peritus

• 21 posts
  • Joined 23-January 05
After adding this driver pack (extracted to c:\Drivers and running your installation method, my windows installation hangs on 12min (registering components)

Should I only include the drivers specific to my hardware, or is it okay to use the full driver pack at once?
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Athlon64 3200
1GB Corsair XL PC3200 (dual-channel)
74GB Raptor
200GB SATA150
ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256MB
Fortron BlueStorm 500W
Evercool Gatewatch fan controller

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

After adding this driver pack (extracted to c:\Drivers and running your installation method, my windows installation hangs on 12min (registering components)

Should I only include the drivers specific to my hardware, or is it okay to use the full driver pack at once?

Of course you can add as many drivers as you want!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN