Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

Cunning1inguist

Cunning1inguist

Vir bonus, dicendi peritus

• 21 posts

After adding this driver pack (extracted to c:\Drivers and running your installation method, my windows installation hangs on 12min (registering components)

Should I only include the drivers specific to my hardware, or is it okay to use the full driver pack at once?

I figured out what I did wrong. I set the wrong path for the drivers in the presetup.cmd
ASUS A8V Deluxe
Athlon64 3200
1GB Corsair XL PC3200 (dual-channel)
74GB Raptor
200GB SATA150
ATI Radeon x800 Pro 256MB
Fortron BlueStorm 500W
Evercool Gatewatch fan controller

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Amel

Amel
  • 6 posts
Hi All! Thanks Pyron and all others for this method :thumbup
But it should be remembered that You can write your own Setup.exe (a.k.a. ile5 B) ) using Autoit! Simple convert "setup.au3" to "setup.exe"
RunWait ("CMD /C PreSetup.cmd")
RunWait (@SystemDir & "\Setup.exe " & $CmdLineRaw)
The good idea is converting all PreSetup.cmd cmds to Setup.au3, and may be use space after finishing original Windows setup process (i.e. resetting DevicePath). In my opinion this method is more flexible, but require additional compile step after each modification of Setup.au3. And it WORK with SVCPACK.INF! Look in attach my result of converting... :whistle:

COMMENT: I use other locations of files, correct it for Your! (i.e. $oem$ instead OEM). And it not full tested, only in my needs... And this method require some modifications to a06lp steps - Leave out all entries about PreSetup.cmd file

Attached Files

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
Interesting post :)

I'll investigate this more :)

a06lp

a06lp

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

...You can write your own Setup.exe (a.k.a. ile5  B) ) using Autoit! Simple convert "setup.au3" to "setup.exe"
...And this method require some modifications to a06lp steps - Leave out all entries about PreSetup.cmd file

ah, but of course. as soon as i 'finish' explaining my mixture-method, and get it working great, this comes up...

I tried to make my guide real simple and step-by-step so that even most beginners can do it. I'm afraid that autoit (as easy as it is) may be an extra step that will confuse things.

I will wait to hear more from Bâshrat the Sneaky, but for now I'm sticking with my method.

Amel

Amel
  • 6 posts
@a06lp:
My first post is unpretentious and not in opposite to others methods - full tested and work fine... :hello:

My main causes is:
1. Verify guess of ile5 about SVCPACK.INF (and it's ok!)
2. Perhaps return control of runing original windows setup.exe as before in Pyron method (from presetup.cmd)

...and second cause - reduce modifications in original distributive (ideally - replace only one file setup.ex_) by means of integrating some functions in one .exe file (since every so often I miss smth. :} ). On the other hand CMD-file is the same script a.k.a. AUT-script, but with different language, and IMHO not easier...

@everyone:
ATTENTION: .AU3 --> .EXE (ver.3) scripts work fine in setup mode in Windows 2000 (my preffered OS), but exit with error in my Windows XP setup process. Windows XP PREVENT from executing AutoIt3 scripts in setup mode!
The system cannot execute the specified program
Fortunately .AUT --> .EXE (ver.2.x AutoIt) work in Windows XP as well. In attach this version of script...

Attached Files

Amel

Amel
  • 6 posts
One non-muted line in WINNT.SIF in the following quote resulting that
WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe NOT work (I test it in XP SP1 & SP2)
[Unattended]
;DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
 NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
This metod require muting BOTH lines in WINNT.SIF
[Unattended]
;DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
;NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
P.S. Same problem discuss in this thread
http://www.msfn.org/...ersigningpolicy

andy_le2k

andy_le2k

• 25 posts
I followed all the steps and i got a BSOD with "SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"
any ideas? I got it right after the setup enters the blue setup screen and starts loading some drivers right where it says "Setup is loading windows" or something like that.

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts

I followed all the steps and i got a BSOD with "SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"
any ideas? I got it right after the setup enters the blue setup screen and starts loading some drivers right where it says "Setup is loading windows" or something like that.

Which drivers did you add? Try again without any drivers, just to verify it isn't cause by the method itself.

Amel

Amel
  • 6 posts
Perhaps, I realize my goals, posted above... Now, I only replace ONE file (setup.ex_) in distributive! :yes:
Main AutoIt (setup.exe) script install all necessary files to temporary folder (%SystemDrive%\Unattend), run its and delete this folder at the end of setup.

If interesting, look my files in attach... Unpack its to new folder, and before run Compile!.cmd:
- Copy here two files from AutoIt (v.2.64) installation (Aut2Exe.exe, AutoItSC.Bin)
- Copy here expanded Setup.exe from Windows distributive and rename it to setupORG.exe
- Copy here Pyrons SetDevicePath.exe

I slightly modify Pyrons WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe in order that it restore policy settings (and DevicePath) and exit immediately before end of setup process (and before saving registry by System). For this purpose I use SystemSetupInProgress parameter of "HKLM\SYSTEM\Setup" Key. Then, %Home% folder may be deleted...

P.S. I am not cool programmer and so posted VC++ source code... It base on code, earlier posted by Pyron (Thx!)

Attached Files

gilesw

gilesw

• 43 posts
I'm going to use the detached program method. I just wanted to know why it's necessary to pack the drivepacks as console expanding .exe's . Why can't 7za.exe be used to extract the driver packs in their original form off the cd and onto the hard disk. The detached program is a batch file with the commands. Is it something to do with the /wait command ?

thanks,

g.

j4ever

j4ever

• PipPip
  • 201 posts
so am i supposed to leave the end of presetup.cmd like this:

REM +=======================================================+
REM | Finally start the installation with the originally |
REM | given parameters |
REM |-------------------------------------------------------|
start /WAIT setup.exe %*

REM | Cleanup |
RD /Q /S %SystemDrive%\drivers
REM | Reset DevicePath |

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
About that last one: if you want the folder %SystemDrive%\drivers to be deleted, yes.

(it seems you have already removed the DevicePath reset code...)

P.S.: use code tags next time, please!

RogueSpear

RogueSpear

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,529 posts
@gilesw Here is a batch file that I call from DetachedProgram.

@ECHO OFF
set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

%SystemDrive%
cd \
Start /WAIT %CDDRIVE%\OEM\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\Drivers.7z -o"%SYSTEMDRIVE%\D"
Start /WAIT %CDDRIVE%\OEM\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\ProgFiles.7z -o"%PROGRAMFILES%"
Start /WAIT %CDDRIVE%\OEM\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\Sys32.7z -o"%SYSTEMROOT%\System32"
Copy %CDDRIVE%\OEM\7za.exe "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\7za.exe"

Edit: I am actually using Method 1 for my drivers. I just modify the routine a little bit as you can see.

gret

gret

• 12 posts
hey...
this is great...

i have a question, though...
wat if i just want to go through the regular setup process but after the reboot, i want it to copy off the cd instead of trying to copy from the hard drive.

in short, i still want the winnt.sif file, but i just want the OEMPreinstall=No

is it possible?

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
Of course, gret, that's even easier :)

Just use this code:
@ECHO OFF
set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

This code scans for a tagfile (which you can change of course) and then appends the var %CDDRIVE% to the drive in which the cd is located. Note that you can continue to use this variable in this batch file only!

The copy/install commands should be added by you, of course :) ;)

Salvo2002

Salvo2002

• 11 posts
hey everyone, I have been reading up on a lot of posts on how to make a universial UXPCD. I am to the point where I picked method 2 to install Bâshrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks, and am ready run the RUN_ME.cmd. The only question is, I don't understand where and why Pyron's files are needed.

in Bâshrat the Sneaky's DriverPacks tutorial for newbies it says to follow these 4 main steps exactly, and then your done. The only thing it says about Pryon is

Method 2

This method is also known as "Pyron's method". The original goal was to make it possible to install drivers from CD. But it's also very handy to use for the DriverPacks installation! With this tool we can extract all driver archives before the GUI part of setup (you know, the part with the time indicator) starts!

All info you need can be found in this topic at MSFN.org.

This method is very spacesaving. Personally I prefer this method.

so it just says "info" is here....but doesn't say anyhting about using his files or anyhting....and then in the last step is says that your all done and ready to test.

I guess I just don't get how to implement Pyron's method.......sorry I know this is probably an easy/stupid question for you guys.

I think am just really confused becasue I keep reading all these posts saying do "this and that", but I don't understand what "this and that" really means.

:}

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
Method 2 IS Pyron's method, so it is completely handled 'under the hood', i.e. you - the end-user - doesn't notice anything of it! ;)

Salvo2002

Salvo2002

• 11 posts
thank you for the clarification!

:D

gret

gret

• 12 posts

4. copy my setup.exe to your I386 directory and overwrite the old one.

You mean your setup.ex_, correct ?

Yes, already corrected.

- Extract them where ? Anywhere ?
- Then i run SetDevicePath.exe from inside the folder created by the decompression, right ? But i don't understand what it'll do exactly. Will it update SetDevicePath.exe ? Then i have to put it back in $OEM$\Bin ? Sorry, i'm confused  :blushing:

You extract your archive into a directory of your choice.
Then you run SetDevicePath.exe <full path to directory of your choice>

(snipped regfile)
So that reg must be just added in our existing tweak reg file which applies during runoncex.cmd, that's right ?

Yes.

One last question :
How will it decompress 7z archives ? Do i just need to add 7za.exe to $OEM$\$$\system32 ?

Basically, yes. Unless you mean if it extracts your archives automatically, then it's no. You have to do it yourself in presetup.cmd. If you want it to happen automatically, name your archive drivers.7z, place it in \OEM and 7za.exe in \OEM\bin, thats what is already prepared in presetup.cmd. But since you seem to be using the $OEM$ directory structure you better modify presetup.cmd to suit your specific needs.

--
Pyron

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i had a previous post from earlier asking if i can keep the winnt.sif file... hmm, i guess forget that one... i decided i just want to completely get rid of winnt.sif but i need some files copied over to the system32 folder, like a desktop theme and some oem files. is that possible? how do i edit the presetup.cmd file?
i'm sorry.... i just discovered this one recently so i'm kinda new to this... i've been wanting to make an oem repair cd.

cheers,
-gret

gret

gret

• 12 posts

Of course, gret, that's even easier :)

Just use this code:

@ECHO OFF
set tagfile=\WIN51

This code scans for a tagfile (which you can change of course) and then appends the var %CDDRIVE% to the drive in which the cd is located. Note that you can continue to use this variable in this batch file only!

The copy/install commands should be added by you, of course :) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so i can use the copy commands in presetup.cmd, right?
wat if i want to copy certain files to the system32 folder and other files, do i need to edit txtsetup.sif or dosnet.inf or anything?

cheers,
-gret

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
Oh you want to do it from the presetup.cmd...

Then add this:
%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\Your_Archive.7z -o"%SystemRoot%\system32"

And put the files you want to be in the system32 folder in an archive named 'Your_Archive.7z'.

I hope you understand it now!

gret

gret

• 12 posts
i understand that part, but wat if i don't have my files compressed? and do you guys happen to know where i can get the 7za.exe and those other files?

thanks a bunch, everyone!!
you guys are great.

-gret

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts

i understand that part, but wat if i don't have my files compressed? and do you guys happen to know where i can get the 7za.exe and those other files?

thanks a bunch, everyone!!
you guys are great.

-gret

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-7za.exe is included in the 7-zip program, freeware, available at www.7-zip.org

-If you'd like to use copy commands, that's possible too, of course. You can use Windows' built in copy and xcopy, but I prefer robocopy, available at microsoft.com ( it's included in the resource kit tools: downloadlink, you can get the file out of this archive)

with copy:

xcopy %CDDRIVE%\OEM\system32files\*.* %SystemRoot%\system32 /Y /E

with robocopy:

%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\robocopy.exe %CDDRIVE%\OEM\system32files %SystemRoot%\system32 *.* /NS /NC /NFL /NDL /NP /NJH /NJS

I guess where you should put all files is pretty self-explanatory...

gret

gret

• 12 posts
one last question, then i'm going to test it...

this may have nothing to do with this topic, but is there a way i can change the default desktop theme instead of using the luna theme? i want to completely dissolve winnt.sif and that's the only place where i know i can change my desktop theme.

cheers, :thumbup
-gret

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts

one last question, then i'm going to test it...

this may have nothing to do with this topic, but is there a way i can change the default desktop theme instead of using the luna theme? i want to completely dissolve winnt.sif and that's the only place where i know i can change my desktop theme.

cheers, :thumbup
-gret

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes you can...

in your winnt.sif:
[Shell]
CustomDefaultThemeFile = "%WinDir%\Resources\Themes\MyTheme.theme"

Please do some research next time ;)

More info can be found in the offical guide!

EDIT: but don't forget to use a hacked uxtheme.dll!

Please don't ask any further in this thread, but search the forums instead. If you still can't find things you need to know, please post a new topic in the appropriate forum!

Edited by Bâshrat the Sneaky, 02 March 2005 - 07:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN