Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

RBCC

RBCC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Joined 09-July 04
:hello: Suppose I have a bunch of drivers with a setup file can I use this idea? John

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
Ever since XP SP2, i've used the method described in this thread but now i want to use it for SP3 but we need a new modified version of setup.exe (setup.ex_) ... does anyone know what is needed to do the mod? Or is there a version for SP3 available anywhere?

Cheers for any help.

X1pheR

X1pheR
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 26-February 07
So unfortunately this method cannot be used with SP3 slipstreamed installation sources as there is no modified exe available.
Too bad. :( What method is best for SP3 now?

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05

So unfortunately this method cannot be used with SP3 slipstreamed installation sources as there is no modified exe available.

I've found the solution ... if you use the DriverPacks Base to slipstream your drivers, one of the methods you can use creates a modded EXE.

I've uploaded one people can use as a replacement for this method here:

http://soporific.dsl...files/SETUP.rar

but ideally, scrap this method and use the Driverpacks method in its entirety.

Hope this helps. Sop.

kal

kal

• PipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Joined 07-March 04
This is really a good job! I use this trick on every CD I make, for DriverPacks. By the way, I don't like the way driver letter is detected in presetup.cmd :
set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

Indeed, if there's a Hard Disk with a WIN51 file at root, then identification is corrupted. One good thing should be that fake setup.exe passes drive letter as argument. This one can detect drive letter from which its launched, easily with windows API.

Does anybody have the source of fake setup.exe? I could mod it to suit my own needs.

Cheers,
Kal

booster

booster

Junior

• Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Joined 02-January 04

I just extract the SETUP.EX_ from Windows XP SP2 to SETUPORG.EXE, which works flawless together with the modified SETUP.EX_ from this page.

X1pheR

X1pheR
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 26-February 07

I just extract the SETUP.EX_ from Windows XP SP2 to SETUPORG.EXE, which works flawless together with the modified SETUP.EX_ from this page.

Ah thanks for the tip. I'll try it out... :)

carimlive

carimlive
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 29-October 09

I've found the solution ... if you use the DriverPacks Base to slipstream your drivers, one of the methods you can use creates a modded EXE.

I've uploaded one people can use as a replacement for this method here:

http://soporific.dsl...files/SETUP.rar

but ideally, scrap this method and use the Driverpacks method in its entirety.

Hope this helps. Sop.

Which method is?

And please reupload the file thx!

dwduckie

dwduckie
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-January 10
Here's what I have:

I am new at trying to make an unattended installation. I managed to make a dvd that contains all of the service packs, updates, and is basically "drop the dvd in the computer and turn it on" style of installation. Here is my problem... I am trying to make this dvd to automatically install all of the drivers required for a group of 13 different models of Dell computers. I have all of the drivers downloaded and extracted into the directory structure listed in the Unattended Guide under Intermediate, Drivers via CD and have followed the instructions listed there to get the drivers to install; however, none of the drivers install on my test computer. I have tried to even keep all of the files for the drivers (takes 2 GB for the drivers but I don't care... using a dvd anyways) but no go. My source is on my hard drive pulled from a Dell installation CD. I have followed the instructions listed on the document, but I get no drivers installed. I have also followed the instructions listed on the original post by Pyron, but still no joy. I am slightly confused as to how to make this work. I know that the source has SP3 already on the install, so I am wondering if this may be causing the problem as the original guide was written for SP2. I have read the later posts, but I am having trouble following the numerous changes made. Any information on this subject would not only be appreciated, but welcome as well. Basically, the end result would be to just drop this dvd into a Dell computer (one of the specific models that I have drivers for) and have Windows install with all of the necessary drivers (chipset, video, audio, lan, wireless). I wouldn't think this would become such a problem, but I don't seem to be able to make this happen. Please help!

Edited by dwduckie, 13 January 2010 - 03:42 PM.

soporific

soporific

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • Joined 12-June 05
you'll be wanting to visit Driverpacks.net

dwduckie

dwduckie
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-January 10
Thanks for the info. I hope I can do what needs to be done there. I was hoping that I was just missing some crucial piece that was breaking this, but I guess all the man hours that were spent on this are wasted. I will go there and continue my quest in building this dvd. Thanks again!

mMiniImManN

mMiniImManN
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-January 07
For those that are still following this thread:

I've noticed the progies required for this setup only work on 32 bit setup cds; I'm wondering if anybody has the original WatchDriverSigningPolicy.cpp file as Pyron posted so long ago: http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__117055

I plan to re-compile the apps with a 64bit compiler so all goes well on 64bit setups.

Also, just to confirm what SetDevicePath.exe <whatever folder> does; it sets the reg entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
DevicePath
to <whatever folder>

Then after installation is complete a runonce is added and sets DevicePath to "%SystemRoot%\inf"

Lastly, I've noticed only recently a few VBS files in the windows\system32 folder before windows does any setup, I plan to play around with this option as an alternative to using CMD or EXE files; could easily whip out a VBS instead of a WatchDriverSigningPolicy app.

cdob

cdob

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  • Joined 29-September 05

I'm wondering if anybody has the original WatchDriverSigningPolicy.cpp file as Pyron posted so long ago:

Sorry, no idea.
Amel version is available still http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__272941

before windows does any setup

You may disable driver signing policy permanent before windows does any setup.
http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__906043
Driversigning.c does compile at mingw64 http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__906507

mMiniImManN

mMiniImManN
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-January 07
oh sweet, i skimmed over pages 13-20 and missed him posting code, didnt notice he had his own watchdriversigning.cpp that did a bit of extra goodies, saw the AUT thing and skipped it.

nice to see his restores the DevicePath, i was thinking of adding that at another place (computer froze up while i was at work or last night sometime, lost my thoughts since then).
looks like the only thing missing is to have WatchDriverSigningPolicy take the path parameter that SetDevice would do and go from there..

looks like i'm set, i got the mingw64 compiler rollin and gonna play around with more options now, thanks.

mMiniImManN

mMiniImManN
  • 6 posts
  • Joined 01-January 07
just used that last source and made WatchDriverSigningPolicy act like the SetDevicePath; and sets values back to what they were before the app was run (provided they existed, and if not sets the system to ignore driver signing period).

I dunno what the default values are before Setup.exe loads, so i have it set them to defaults if it creates them (if BehaviorOnFail=1 and Driver Policy = 1 aka hex:01,00,00,00 )

and for those who didnt read how to compile this:
gcc -mwindows -Os -s WatchDriverSigningPolicy.cpp -o WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe <path to drivers>

i just thought of adding a snipit, if no param (path) is given, skip the setting of the DevicePath.. i'll do that tomorrow

.. yay for reviving old projects =D

Attached File  WatchDriverSigningPolicy.txt   4.2KB   32 downloads
Attached File  WatchDriverSigningPolicy_x86_32.exe   8KB   22 downloads
Attached File  WatchDriverSigningPolicy_x86_64.exe   14.5KB   18 downloads

Guest_SpideRaY35_*

Guest_SpideRaY35_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --
To save yourself alot of time trying to find all your installed drivers inf OR exe files the best way to do this is to use Driver Gabber v0.51 all yo need to do then is rename all the folders that are created into order remember Chipset first, you will need to find these yourself, then the rest that the grabber has found.

001_chipset
002_net
003_display

you get the idea !!

SpideRaY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users