Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
If I understand how DetachedProgram works, it runs it concurrently with windows setup, correct? What has me nervous is that for a large archive, it might take so long to extract the archive that by the time it's done, some hardware will have already been missed. I guess that's where your method comes into play.
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
I've been trying to do this too. I've made a SFX archive with WinRAR, which is set up to extract to %systemdrive%\Drivers.

It silently unpacks like this: drivers.exe /S. But it doesn't get unpacked at all when I run it detached by winnt.sif!!!

However, I've noticed again something interesting: when you create a SFX archive you can choose a SFX-module, somewhere in properties.

You can choose between:

-default.sfx
-DOS.sfx
-Win.con.sfx (Windows Console)

The last two, and specificly the last one could be very usefull I think? Could anyone test this, as I'll be in London the next two days? (school trip)

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
By george, it worked like a charm!

And Bashrat, your problem was likely that you didn't put the /S flag in the Arguments string. It doesn't go with the exe. But I used the standard RAR SFX module and had it show me progress and it worked like a charm. No need for flags if you create the SFX archive properly.

XP Setup even waits for it to finish running before it does PnP Device detection! Win-win!
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
::marks another on the board for good ideas::

wow, this good idea thing is starting to rack up :)
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
For those using WinRAR to achieve this, this is my method for creating an SFX archive that worked. RAR up the subdirectories within your Drivers folder (I personally do it with the best compression and as a solid archive and it got a 5:1 compression ratio). Make it self extracting, but don't worry about any SFX options for the time being. Once the archive is created, add a comment to the archive (a shortcut to this is Alt+M) with this info in it:
;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%systemdrive%\Drivers
SavePath
Silent=2
Overwrite=1
That will tell it to extract to Drivers on root (in other words, generally C:\Drivers). It will show an extraction progress dialog (so you can verify that it is indeed working. Change Silent=2 to 1 if you want it to be completely hidden. Overwrite=1 tells it to overwrite any files it comes across (not that it'll be an issue if you're doing a clean install).

So now you should have an exe (mine's called Drivers.exe and I'll be using it as an example) with the above comment in it (you can test its functionality too by double clicking and verifying that it extracts how you want it to). Place it in your $1 folder inside $OEM$. In the [GUIUnattended] section of winnt.sif, add the following line:
DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\Drivers.exe"
Leave your OEMPnPDriversPath settings in winnt.sif the same as if the files were uncompressed on the CD. They will be extracted prior to PnP device detection, so this will not be a problem.

Attached is a picture of what the archive should look like.

Attached Files

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
what I like about this method (the one at the beginning) is that it recursively goes through the directories, and that means less user error :) It's happened a few times.
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
I'm going to pin this topic. It could come in handy. I've seen a few people asking for this.

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

what I like about this method (the one at the beginning) is that it recursively goes through the directories, and that means less user error :rolleyes: It's happened a few times.

The way I see it is that both methods have their merits and each kind of serve their own unique purpose. The advantage to Pryon's method is that it can be used with a "vanilla" XP CD which allows for repairs and doesn't require the files to be copied from the CD prior. The advantage to the second method is that it allows for compression which inevitably means room for more stuff! :)

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
yeah more stuff.....

go DVD!! :) I still got about 1 gig of room to fill on it. so....yeah...:rolleyes:

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

yeah more stuff.....

go DVD!! :) I still got about 1 gig of room to fill on it. so....yeah...:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm really starting to yearn for a DVD burner. I'm thinking one of those SATA Plextor ones coming out soon sounds nice (thin cables...mmm...). But as it stands right now, my XP install CD is standing at 420MB (yay for jdboeck's cleanup batch files), so no need for it quite yet. I'd image if I go DVD at some point, I'll be scripting office2003 and such in there as well, though.

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
yeah, that office sends it over the limit. :)

wish I had a cable SATA drives myself. I only have two ports, but I'm sure they have expandsion cards or something. I currently have 6 IDE drive on 4 cables (They're not long enough, and I'm too lazy to buy a new one)

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
im sorry guys if i didn't got it correctly :) , does this approach work with an unattended xpcd?
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
yes.

I personally use a slightly modified version of the very first post.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
WOW! :)

Does this approach work when combined with the detached program method?

part of winnt.sif
[Unattended]
    UnattendMode=DefaultHide
    OemSkipEula=Yes
    OemPreinstall=Yes
    TargetPath=\WINDOWS
    FileSystem=*
    UnattendSwitch="No"
    WaitForReboot="No"
    DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore 
;OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\06_storage;...;Drivers\06_storage\nvidia"

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=215
    OemSkipWelcome=1
    DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\drivers\drivers.exe"

presetup.cmd
%systemdrive%
cd %windir%\system32

REM Scanning for driverdirectories
%systemdrive%\SetDevicePath.exe %systemdrive%\drivers

REM Enable installation of unsigned drivers
start %systemdrive%\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
no. Not what you're doing. You'r trying to combine the original post, and then Ryan's. If you use DetachedProgram, then you need all the paths spelled out in OEMPnPDriversPath in your Winnt.sif as they will appear after your DetachedProgram executes.

If doing the first one, it allows for not having to type out all the paths, but the drivers have to be all extracted and to a certain folder, whether on CD or harddrive.

As a little experiment to combine the two, and since you're alrady setup.....
try adding the line for your Detached Program in presetup.cmd, leave out OEMPnPDriversPath and DetachedProgram in Winnt.sif and see if it works.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
i wonder if files are case-sensitive. i had an error during the initial gui part of the setup that setupORG.exe is missing. my setuporg.exe file is placed on the i386 folder of the cd including the custom setup.ex_ file i downloaded.
Posted Image

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
sorry, made a double post. please disregard this one. :)
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about, but Detached Programs should be placed in the $OEM$\$1 folder if that's what you're asking.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
@Alanoll, so in doing this method, aside from REM'ming out the OemPnPDriversPath, i should REM out the DetachedProgram as well?

@RyanVM, just a couple of questions: :)

have you tried this method in an unattended cd setup? if so, are you using SFX-compressed archives in containing the drivers? i would also like to know where did you placed the necessary files? may i also know what does your presetup.cmd contains? thanks so much. :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
don't REM the lines. To comment in the Winnt.sif file, use a ; at the beginning of the line.

If it's complaining about a missing setuporg.exe, make sure you made the entries to txtsetup.sif AND dosnet.inf as shown in the first post. Otherwise, it's never copied from the CD, and presetup.cmd is launched from hdd.

@RyanVM

I believe edmoncu is trying to combine the two methods. But keep in mind, that your your SFX archive with all the drivers files, must be in $OEM$\$1 somewhere, and the line that then calls it is also refers to the directory it will be in. If you had a working DetachedProgram line, I said copy that to presetup.cmd. But it appears that you've only taken snippets from each of the methods, and trying to make it work.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
@Alanoll,

Oh, I get it now (I hope)! Thanks! :rolleyes:

So the decompression of the SFX-Compressed Archive has to be done under presetup.cmd?

I hope it would be possible to make an SFX RAR-Compressed archive that will work on a console (pre-gui) or dos-like environment. Or any SFX RAR-Compressed archive will do?

Will try this later this day... I plan on using these commands under presetup.cmd
start /wait %systemdrive%\Drivers\drivers.exe

%systemdrive%
cd %windir%\system32

what made me a bit confused is the 2nd and 3rd line of commands
%systemdrive%
cd %windir%\system32

i wonder is there still a need for these commands.

anyway, as for winnt.sif, shall i still have to comment-out on OemPnPDriversPath and DetachedProgram.

am i right on track? :)
Posted Image

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
hmm, it seems that the SFX archive needs to use WinCon.SFX (Windows console RAR SFX) module, rather than the Default.SFX (Windows GUI RAR SFX).

in other words, when making a WinCon-based SFX, functionality is limited, you cannot pre-specify a destination folder for the uncompressed file. meaning when using this with presetup.cmd, you have to make sure you execute the WinCon-based SFX archive at the folder you're going to extract files to. in my case, since I have the drivers.exe on the drivers folder of the root directory of the system drive (copied via $OEM$\$1\Drivers), i have to adjust the parameters within presetup.cmd:
%systemdrive%

cd %systemdrive%\drivers
start /wait drivers.exe

cd %windir%\system32

Posted Image

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
would like to ask a followup question though, under winnt.sif's OemPnPDriversPath setting, you can specify the order at which drivers were searched. i was wondering, in what order does this approach recursively search for drivers?
Posted Image

Alanoll

Alanoll

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03
Windows doesn't really determine the order based on the exact settings in OemPNPDriversPath. It creates the list dynamically and adds them to it. Then it sorts, then searches. So either way, the list should come out the same.

in OEMPnpDrivers path you could have 002,004,001,005,003 but when Windows searched for drivers it would see it as 001,002,003,004,005

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
thanks Alanoll. :)

btw, just a note, sfx-winrar archive doesnt work at being uncompressed at this part of the installation. though sfx-winrar (compressed using windows console mode) will work, as well as sfx-zip archive compressed via 7zip.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN