Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

thanks Alanoll. :)

btw, just a note, sfx-winrar archive doesnt work at being uncompressed at this part of the installation. though sfx-winrar (compressed using windows console mode) will work, as well as sfx-zip archive compressed via 7zip.

Do you need any switches to extract a 7zip sfx archive? I guess no?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
btw, just to be sure, i had to supply the switches when extracting the 7zip-based sfx archive. (calling it -- the extraction from the presetup.cmd file). btw, this approach worked though :)

however, in the case of the winrar-sfx (wincon-mode) archive, no additional switches were required.
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

btw, just to be sure, i had to supply the switches when extracting the 7zip-based sfx archive. (calling it -- the extraction from the presetup.cmd file). btw, this approach worked though :)

however, in the case of the winrar-sfx (wincon-mode) archive, no additional switches were required.

I'm asking WHAT switches you used...

RyanVM

RyanVM

Like a big surly teddy bear.

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
How does one tell a 7zip SFX archive to extract automatically to a specific directory? It compressed my drivers folder 3MB smaller than a WinRAR SFX, but I can't see any of the advanced SFX options WinRAR has.
RyanVM MSFN Files | RyanVM Forums
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.
Current Update Pack Release: 2.2.2
(Released April 28, 2008)

BTW, 90% of what I say is kidding around. Don't take things so personally ;)

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

How does one tell a 7zip SFX archive to extract automatically to a specific directory?  It compressed my drivers folder 3MB smaller than a WinRAR SFX, but I can't see any of the advanced SFX options WinRAR has.

I'm having the same problem :'(

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
@Bâshrat the Sneaky:
ooops im sorry, i didnt get your first post. anyway, i used the following switches when i extract the 7zip-sfx archive:
-y /q /r:n

anyway, here's how my presetup.cmd looked like:
%systemdrive%

cd %systemdrive%\drivers
start /wait drivers.exe -y /q /r:n

cd %windir%\system32

REM Scanning for driverdirectories
%systemdrive%\SetDevicePath.exe %systemdrive%\drivers

REM Enable installation of unsigned drivers
start %systemdrive%\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

anyway, as for the destination directory, i have no much information yet to declare within a 7zip-sfx archive the destination folder, its assumed that extraction has to take place to the default working directory.

in order to make sure it extracted at the proper place, i had to manually invoke a CD = change directory command before the extraction of the sfx-archive. i assigned the default working directory to %systemroot%\Drivers folder. i also placed a wait flag to the start command so that it fully finishes extraction first before proceeding with the next set of commands in the CMD file.
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
Interesting, I'll have to play with that idea. And it doesn't surprise me that the Windows GUI version of the WinRAR SFX module doesn't work since the GUI isn't even loaded yet when it launches :). It does work OK if you run it as the DetachedProgram, though.
Please do not link directly to files on my site or modify/redistribute them without getting my permission first. Link to the above URL instead.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
yup. even if executed via the DetachedProgram method, the criteria for the sfx archive remains the same, it either has to be rar-sfx-compressed using the windows console module or if you want a more appealing (or more uniform) presentation, then compress it via 7zip... which i also think compresses better than winrar's. :) btw, in my observation, i think sfx decompression is also faster when 7zip is used to compress it which is a plus plus! :rolleyes:
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

yup. even if executed via the DetachedProgram method, the criteria for the sfx archive remains the same, it either has to be rar-sfx-compressed using the windows console module or if you want a more appealing (or more uniform) presentation, then compress it via 7zip... which i also think compresses better than winrar's. :) btw, in my observation, i think sfx decompression is also faster when 7zip is used to compress it which is a plus plus! :rolleyes:

I still maintain that you're incorrect on that matter. I'll create and ISO and take screenshots in VirtualPC a bit later on today to back that up.

EDIT: But I too am convinced that 7zip does give better compression that RAR. Like I said before, it takes over 3MB off my drivers archive.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
oh, may i know which part am i incorrect? :)
/me suddenly feels to worry about my work.
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03
WinRAR SFX Windows GUI module extracting at the T39 mark prior to device detection running as the DetachedProgram in winnt.sif.

Attached Files

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
oh i see... i stand myself corrected then. :)
Posted Image

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

WinRAR SFX Windows GUI module extracting at the T39 mark prior to device detection running as the DetachedProgram in winnt.sif.

And you didn't use any switches??? I can't get it to work with the normal GUI :'(

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
same here... that is when i use the detachedprogram method (as well as via presetup.cmd). :)

anyway, i tried complimenting the execution of the sfx-rar archive with /S on the arguments.

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=215
    OemSkipWelcome=1
    DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\others\drivers.exe"
    Arguments="/s"

Posted Image

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

same here... that is when i use the detachedprogram method (as well as via presetup.cmd). :)

anyway, i tried complimenting the execution of the sfx-rar archive with /S on the arguments.

[GuiUnattended]
    AdminPassword=*
    EncryptedAdminPassword=NO
    OEMSkipRegional=1
    TimeZone=215
    OemSkipWelcome=1
    DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\others\drivers.exe"
    Arguments="/s"

I tried it too like that, with normal GUI.

What module did you use and did it work with the /S switch?

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
i tried the Default.sfx module. although when i tried running it using the WinCon.sfx module, i got no problem decompressing it at any situation... though i have lesser control over it than Default.sfx.
Posted Image

RyanVM

RyanVM

• 2,661 posts
  • Joined 31-August 03

For those using WinRAR to achieve this, this is my method for creating an SFX archive that worked.  RAR up the subdirectories within your Drivers folder (I personally do it with the best compression and as a solid archive and it got a 5:1 compression ratio).  Make it self extracting, but don't worry about any SFX options for the time being.  Once the archive is created, add a comment to the archive (a shortcut to this is Alt+M) with this info in it:

;The comment below contains SFX script commands

Path=%systemdrive%\Drivers
SavePath
Silent=2
Overwrite=1
That will tell it to extract to Drivers on root (in other words, generally C:\Drivers).  It will show an extraction progress dialog (so you can verify that it is indeed working.  Change Silent=2 to 1 if you want it to be completely hidden.  Overwrite=1 tells it to overwrite any files it comes across (not that it'll be an issue if you're doing a clean install).

So now you should have an exe (mine's called Drivers.exe and I'll be using it as an example) with the above comment in it (you can test its functionality too by double clicking and verifying that it extracts how you want it to).  Place it in your $1 folder inside $OEM$.  In the [GUIUnattended] section of winnt.sif, add the following line:
DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\Drivers.exe"
Leave your OEMPnPDriversPath settings in winnt.sif the same as if the files were uncompressed on the CD.  They will be extracted prior to PnP device detection, so this will not be a problem.

This is exactly how I made it.

Denney

Denney

*shrug*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
Hmm... don't know quite what's wrong here... wondering if someone could help me (this is my first attempt at using DetachedProgram)...

WINNT.SIF:
[GuiUnattended]
 OemSkipWelcome=1
 TimeZone=260
 DetachedProgram="%systemdrive%\MSA\DriverSetup.cmd"
DriverSetup.cmd:
@echo off

if exist D:\WIN51IP.SP2 D:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM D:
if exist E:\WIN51IP.SP2 E:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM E:
if exist F:\WIN51IP.SP2 F:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM F:
if exist G:\WIN51IP.SP2 G:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM G:
if exist H:\WIN51IP.SP2 H:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM H:
if exist I:\WIN51IP.SP2 I:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM I:
if exist J:\WIN51IP.SP2 J:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM J:
if exist K:\WIN51IP.SP2 K:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM K:
if exist L:\WIN51IP.SP2 L:\OEM\utilities\setenv -m CDROM L:

%CDROM%\OEM\utilities\cmdow @ /HID

start /wait %systemdrive%\MSA\drivers.exe

%CDROM%\OEM\utilities\setdevicepath.exe %systemdrive%\MSA\drivers

exit
For some reason that doesn't work. Can I use .cmd files from DetachedProgram?

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03
CMD is not available at that stage. You've got to use it in a special way, which I don't know anymore... :) Someone who remembers it?

Denney

Denney

*shrug*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
FIXED IT! Never actually thought, change it from a .cmd file to a .bat file!! It works!! So simple.

It took me so long to figure that out. :)

.cmd is a "Windows NT Command Script" whereas .bat is an "MS-DOS Batch File".

iSmart

iSmart

• 19 posts
  • Joined 04-January 04
This cool method doesn't allow to install RAID or SATA/RAID drivers from floppy by pressing F6. For the first time, a driver is copied from floppy, but when the yellow marker grown up on text-mode stage, driver cannot be copied with error.

Maybe you'll release new version, Pyron?

Denney

Denney

*shrug*

• PipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts
  • Joined 11-September 03
In relation to my first post, I have given up on the CDROM bit... For some reason nothing will work to detect the CDROM drive at this stage (or any stage for some reason).

The "if exist" part will work but only if I use "set" rather than the "setenv" executable (but then I have to do the "if exist" part again at cmdlines). The DetectCD executable won't work either.

After a day of trying this I have given up (I still use the compressed drivers though). Just thought I'd let people know.

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
@RaveRod

perhaps could you try setting the variable with "set" and then use the variable you just added as the input for "setenv" ?

Alanoll

Alanoll

CODE tags people, CODE tags!

• Patrons
  • 5,496 posts
  • Joined 25-September 03

This cool method doesn't allow to install RAID or SATA/RAID drivers from floppy by pressing F6. For the first time, a driver is copied from floppy, but when the yellow marker grown up on text-mode stage, driver cannot be copied with error.

Maybe you'll release new version, Pyron?

this has NOTHING to do with RAID. Sorry.

It intended solely for the purpose of not having to copy over massive amounts of drivers like for different video cards during each install, and instead use them from CD (or modify it otherwise)

RAID can NOT be done this way. the RAID drivers must be loaded during txtsetup and an entry in WINNT.SIF breaks teh F6 function. This method only STARTS AFTER textmode is done. We can't run ANYTHING DURING TXTMODE. SO the only alternatives is to NOT use a winnt.sif OR add the driver's manually to txtsetup.sif on your own, or use a drivers pack.
Welcome to the Forum! Please READ Me!!
Alright, that's it for the site for now. Now on to the next project....which could concievable replace the current site :)

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
quick question: i heard from the early part of the thread that this *should* work with win2k... has anyone tried it with win2k?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN