Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

Lucius Snow

Lucius Snow

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
Just tried with VMware and it worked perfectly ! Thank you !

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts

But this brings me also to another question. Might it be possible to modify SetDevicePath.exe in a way, that it will scan two directories on two different drives? This way one could use compressed and uncompressed drivers simultaneous without the need to copy the uncompressed drivers to HDD and the presetup.cmd would even be more universal.

Do you really need this? I don't see any practical use here.
Nevertheless, I think about it.

As I said, I can work with compressed and uncompressed drivers simultaneous the way it's currently implemented, so I can live with it already. But I think this would make the whole thing even more universal and clever.

And I have the feeling, that there is not much to change in the source of SetDevicePath, so it will support more than one path. :)

idle.newbie

idle.newbie

Junior

• Pip
  • 93 posts

compressed and uncompressed drivers simultaneous

in different drive...

that's a good idea, uncompressed for the old way in cd, for testing.

You can also move 7za.exe into your system32 directory, to get built-in-Windows support!

i love that new meaning for built-in.

I already feared that ...

:whistle: :whistle:
THANKS A LOT, for your guide & lovely little tools.

and thanks to this forum, somebody always makes me :D :D

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
@Pyron, in talking about resetting the devicepath and driver signing, I was looking at presetup.cmd, it seems that devicepath already resets itself to \Inf...is this right, or do I still need the tweak?

@idle.newbie...I will test as soon as I can, but im not quite at the point of testing yet :( but if you dont test it before I do, I will post my results...Im also there, but itll prolly be like a day or 2. Im sorry
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts

@Pyron, in talking about resetting the devicepath and driver signing, I was looking at presetup.cmd, it seems that devicepath already resets itself to \Inf...is this right, or do I still need the tweak?

I tried to prepare it in presetup.cmd, that's right. (Actually I didn't test that bit, but I am pretty confident that it works.)

--
Pyron

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
hmmm, im sure this has been adressed, but didnt really see any solutions...INFCACHE.1 exists in every directory on my hard drive, is there a reason for this? setdevicepath is set for %systemdrive%\drivers...so I dont know why its in EVERY folder. Could this have happened because I dont have a drivers folder? I havent gotten to the point to add drivers YET, but I was testing to see if your setup and everything ran, it seemed to...but now this infcache.1 has me worried...I just dont like added files LOL. Also, is anyone else running this and installing hotfixes? My hotfixes no longer seem to install, Im not sure if its because of this or not, but I believe this is the only thing I did differently from the last time I installed.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
Windows adds these in every directory referenced by DevicePath. So when you ran SetDevicePath.exe on a non-existant path, it probably just scanned the whole HD (I should add some error checking...).

--
Pyron

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
This may have been answered previously but, is the 7za.exe we are talking about here the same 7za.exe we used in serialz method? else where can I get it?

For the moment I'll try expanding 7za.ex_ from serialz method...
@pyron when you say it starts the setup of GUI mode, does it count as GUI setup when you nlite a cd to get the classic win2k installation style (no blue kiddish gui during install, only a progress bar).. Anyway I'll find it out soon

And what is this supposed to do? I know it's optional but maybe it's usefull it it's there
REM +=======================================================+
REM | Prepare later installations (optional)                |
REM |-------------------------------------------------------|
REM SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REM REG ADD %KEY%\998 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\t-13_install.cmd" /f
REM REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "REG ADD %KEY%\zzz999 /V 1 /D %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\postinstall.cmd /f" /f

Same thing for this one
REM | Do other stuff like copying useful tools (optional)   |
REM cd %SystemRoot%\system32
REM %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\data\System32.7z

Anyway, for my part i'm installing 7zip to the computer so I don't really need to copy 7za.exe to the system32 directory, but what is this system32.7z?

And a last one, cause I'm curious, why is setup.exe run with %1 %2 %3 %4 ?? are those variables? and where do they find their value then?
5. Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb. -- Tarun

Lucius Snow

Lucius Snow

• PipPip
  • 247 posts
@ Thauzar : Yes it's the same 7za.exe. About the two optionals command lines, i don't know what it's for. But i can say i didn't need them for the drivers integration (which seems logical since they're described as "optionnal").

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
@Pyron...I replaced your setup.exe with the original, and my svcpack.inf was run...is there any way to fix it so that it runs when using your setup.exe. im using your current version. But I did narrow it down to when Im running your setup.exe...if svcpack.inf still runs for every one else, could it be dependent on me having a drivers folder? i cant imagine that would be it, but it could be.

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
@evilvoice, I don't have any pre-SP3 updates yet on my cd so I really don't know how the setups work with it, but isn't it supposed to start the original setup.exe anyway after presetup.cmd starts? In that case it should not change anything else except seeing and executing presetup.cmd.. well normally... :wacko:

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
thats what I thought, but its definitely this new setup.exe...Also, if you read, he talks about certain things being out of place, like runonce executing at t-34 or something like that.

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts

thats what I thought, but its definitely this new setup.exe...Also, if you read, he talks about certain things being out of place, like runonce executing at t-34 or something like that.

RunOnce is indeed running at T-34 but there is nothing wrong with it. If you refer to RunOnceEx, it still runs at T-13.
Try adding keys to RunOnce through HIVESFT.INF, it should be running at T-34.

--
Pyron

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
that was just an example, my problem is when using your setup.exe, svcpack.inf does not work

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

And what is this supposed to do? I know it's optional but maybe it's usefull it it's there

REM | Prepare later installations (optional)                |
REM SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx
REM REG ADD %KEY%\998 /V 1 /D "%CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\t-13_install.cmd" /f
REM REG ADD %KEY%\999 /V 1 /D "REG ADD %KEY%\zzz999 /V 1 /D %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\postinstall.cmd /f" /f

This is to add RunOnceEx entries to the registry. You've never heard of RunOnceEx? Then is http://unattended.msfn.org (the guide) the place to be!

Same thing for this one

REM | Do other stuff like copying useful tools (optional)   |
REM cd %SystemRoot%\system32
REM %CDDRIVE%\OEM\bin\7za.exe x -y -aoa %CDDRIVE%\OEM\data\System32.7z

This is to extract usefull utilities (like pskill, 7za.exe, etc.) directly to the X:\WINfolder\system32 folder. (Does the same as $OEM$\$$\system32, only with (better) extraction!

And a last one, cause I'm curious, why is setup.exe run with %1 %2 %3 %4 ?? are those variables? and where do they find their value then?

Those are the parameters to start the REAL setup.exe! Fore more info, you should PM Pyron I think.

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
@Bashrat Nope, never (well I heard of) used runonce or runonceex, a good old batch file is just fine for me, I like that black screen and dos commands, simple and efficient. And it's not the unattended guide that seems to explain more of it in details... looked a LOT easier with batch files.

This troubles me... if svcpack.inf doesn't work, then how will we add the Pre-SP3 hotfixes?

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
This post may be in the wrong thread but: how can I extract compressed drivers from Dell?

I explain: there is a .exe I extract with winRAR that gives me a folder with some setup files, lots of files, and 2 .cab files (i presume the drivers are hidden here). But running the installer extracts the files (where??? not in temp folder :no: ). I am trying to get to the inf to add to my drivers.7z file for my unattended xp but can't get the processor and mouse ones because of that stupid problem. The .cab file doesn't appear to be normal cab files cause I tried expand, and extract and both commands did not recognise the file, expand simply copying the .cab and extract saying wrong file format... winRAR and 7zip neither can uncompress those .cab files... :wacko:

Thanks

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
Well, if it is InstallShield, it doesn't extract itself neccessarily. The installer probably just reads out the cab-files directly. If this is the case, you can only install the drivers and grab them out of your running system with a software like WinDriversBackup(hard to find, pm me if you need it) or My Drivers.

BTW: can someone confirm the svcpack.inf issue? I didn't use it myself for such a long time that I can hardly remember how it works...

--
Pyron

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
@Pyron I'd like to but since there is no updates to add to svcpack.inf yet I can't test it :( If you know a way I could do a test to help you out PM me and I'll try whatever I can!

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
I will test again, this time without adding the files to my source...and will give any updates...basically, I will be taking an sp2 source, and adding the files to the oem\bin dir and also adding svcpack.inf and my hotfixes, and thats it...maybe something else I am doing is breaking it, but since noone has responded, I figure ill give it another shot.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
Tested with a CLEAN SP2 CD...No nlite, no tweaks, no slipstreaming...just a base sp2, the files from the first post, and 7za.exe, all set up exactly the way you say...svcpack.inf does not get run correctly...I will say that something pops up during the time svcpack.inf runs (which has got to be svcpack.inf being run as a command script) but nothing installs...Could it be that we dont have enough variables being passed to setup.exe? I dunno, I just know that with this method a person can not use svcpack.inf on the cd.

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Tested with a CLEAN SP2 CD...No nlite, no tweaks, no slipstreaming...just a base sp2, the files from the first post, and 7za.exe, all set up exactly the way you say...svcpack.inf does not get run correctly...I will say that something pops up during the time svcpack.inf runs (which has got to be svcpack.inf being run as a command script) but nothing installs...Could it be that we dont have enough variables being passed to setup.exe?  I dunno, I just know that with this method a person can not use svcpack.inf on the cd.

This is a disaster :'( :(
So after all this method isn't working anymore...

STUPID SP2 :realmad:

Any clue, Pyron?

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts
For me this works with SP2 and svcpack.inf.
I have .NET-SP1, HighMAT and some other stuff in svcpack.inf and a bunch of compressed drivers also. No problem encoutered. Everything installs fine.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
either youre doing something beyond whats listed in the instructions, or your svcpack.inf isnt really executing...Ive tested it twice now in vmware and still svcpack.inf never installs anything...

What I have done is this...
DOSNET.INF
[optionaldirs]
hotfixes

TXTSETUP.SIF
SetupORG.exe (and whatever the numbers and commas after it)
Presetup.cmd

OEM\bin
7za
SetDriverPath
WatchDriverSigningPolicy

OEM
DriverPack_Lan.7z

svcpack.inf works if I copy setup.ex_ from the original on top of Pyrons.

Pyrons method does work, I REM the line in presetup.cmd that removes the drivers and it does extract and seems to work perfectly, but svcpack.inf is broken...unless there is something else I need to do...Ill test it again by ONLY copying the original setup.ex_ over pyrons and let people know if it works.

UPDATE: Ok, the only thing I did this time was to overwrite pyrons setup.ex_ with xpsp2 setup.ex_ and svcpack.inf works again. Again, this is all in a vm, but shouldnt it work in that? I know some people say that not everything will work in a vm, but honestly, I havent found something that doesnt work...before, I was having problems with reg tweaks, but that was because I had an error in my reg file.

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
@evilvoice

Yeah, shouldnt be any reason why it wouldnt work in a vm... If you reporduced it by just changing the setup.exe there must be something up... :o

This puts a hamper on my conversion to using pyrons tool.. May do it anyway as there are no hot fixes out yet.. Short of the whole tcpip.sys loopback thing.. But I integrated that already just by cabing tcpip.sys from the hot fix and dumping in i386. :thumbup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN