Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

SOLVED: drivers from CD

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
465 replies to this topic

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
these are the hotfixes I install
dotnet1.1sp1
msjvm (cause I like MS's Java machine)
highmat
wmp10
msxml
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Bâshrat the Sneaky

Bâshrat the Sneaky

aka Wim Leers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Joined 29-October 03

these are the hotfixes I install
dotnet1.1sp1
msjvm (cause I like MS's Java machine)
highmat
wmp10
msxml

Did you repack the Dotnetfx installer? Maybe that's the problem...

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
well, I also started to think that...this repack is done with 7zip, the one that ryanvm posted about...so that could be what it is...I guess I could pull that one hotfix out and see if the others are running, and if they are, then I guess I could throw dotnet and msxml in to runonceex, though I dont want them to run there, but if its the only solution, then so be it.
When I spotted this little cutie with some sex appeal. I winked at her, she gave me a look like I'm a booger. I thought b***h, I'd rather spend my money on a hooker. Then a bright idea ran across my mind, if I could swipe a manikin I'd have a freak all the time.

Thauzar

Thauzar

4th Star Learner

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Joined 10-August 04
So finally what's the solution? Take setupORG and rename it setup.ex_ in presetup.cmd?
5. Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb. -- Tarun

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04

well, I also started to think that...this repack is done with 7zip, the one that ryanvm posted about...so that could be what it is...I guess I could pull that one hotfix out and see if the others are running, and if they are, then I guess I could throw dotnet and msxml in to runonceex, though I dont want them to run there, but if its the only solution, then so be it.

I don't think this is the problem. I have the same 7z-sfx (and even some more) in my svcpack.inf and it works.
Did you try to remove everything from svcpack.inf and call a cmd.exe instead, to see if svcpack.inf gets executed (and to check pathes etc.)?

It might be the problem, that the SetupORG.exe doesn't get renamed properly to setup.exe. Did you check the files setup.old and setup.exe after your installation?

I don't use VM, so there might be some incompatibilities.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
my files, according to pyrons updated instructions are as follows...
setup.exe gets renamed to setupold.exe, setuporg.exe gets renamed to setup.exe - both exist in system32, so i take it the rename worked...from your reply, i take it you are not using the updated files.

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04

my files, according to pyrons updated instructions are as follows...
setup.exe gets renamed to setupold.exe, setuporg.exe gets renamed to setup.exe - both exist in system32, so i take it the rename worked...from your reply, i take it you are not using the updated files.

No. I use the new one (from the updated guide). Eventhough I don't think Pyron has changed them in the last pair of days, I will try an install in the next pair of hours with the files I can currently download.

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
should the file be renamed to setup.old? also, i know i do this, but are you using the new presetup.cmd or one that you have customized, id hate to think that it has something to do with the cmd file, but thatd be the easiest fix.

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
I just re-tested it with new downloaded files from page 1 and everything still works.

Yes, I have modified my presetup.cmd and the renaming should lead to a setupold.exe and not a setup.old (was just a typo).

Here is my presetup.cmd, but keep in mind I also use some modified pathes and do other things there.
REM +=======================================================+
REM | Finding CDROM driveletter                             |
set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDDRIVE=%%i:

REM | We should be already in system32, this is just to be  |
REM | sure                                                  |
%SystemDrive%
CD %SystemRoot%\system32

REM | Trick Windows into identifying the original setup.exe |
REM | deleting the setup.exe will not work, just rename it  |
if exist setup.exe ren setup.exe setupold.exe
if exist setupORG.exe ren setupORG.exe setup.exe

REM | Unpack the drivers                                    |
MKDIR "%SystemDrive%\Install\Drivers"
FOR %%I IN (%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\Drivers\*.7z) DO "%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\Bin\7za.exe" x "%%I" -y -aoa -o"%SystemDrive%\Install\Drivers"

REM | Copy uncompressed driver-dirs                         |
FOR /D %%I IN (%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\Drivers\*) DO XCOPY "%%I" "%SystemDrive%\Install\Drivers\%%~nxI" /S /I /E /C /H /R /Y

REM | Scanning for driverdirectories                        |
%CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\Bin\SetDevicePath.exe %SystemDrive%\Install\Drivers

REM | Enable installation of unsigned drivers               |
start %CDDRIVE%\$OEM$\Bin\WatchDriverSigningPolicy.exe

REM | Finally start the installation with the originally    |
REM | given parameters                                      |
start /WAIT setup.exe %1 %2 %3 %4
But the general approach is the same as Pyron's original presetup.cmd.

I don't think, I'm the only person where everythings works fine. Why are no other people reporting errors or success stories? This thing is so neat and fine that everybody should use it.

I hope this is not limited to the german XP (as Pyron and I are most likely only using a german version).

So it might be helpful if other people also try it out and report their findings.

edmoncu

edmoncu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • Joined 28-April 04
anyway, im using pyron's method as well, plus a combination of bashrat's (notably mass storage drivers). i've recompressed all the drivers (even all bashrat's collections) under the $OEM$ to an SFX-compressed 7Zip archive. it works fine so far. all drivers were installed as expected.
Please join the growing Filipino Community of PC Experts and Enthusiasts
Posted Image

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

The truck or you is disabled?

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this but this seems to be the closest to what my question pertains to, so here goes.

I have in my UXPCD folder structure as:
$OEM$\Install
In this install folder, I compressed the entire Plus! for XP cd to PLUS!.7z.

I want to extract it during RunOnceEx.cmd which I am calling from WinNT.sif under:
[GuiRunOnce]
Command0=RunOnceEx.cmd
also in my WinNT.sif I have:
[GuiUnattended]
DetachedProgram="%SystemDrive%\PLUS!\MICROSOFT PLUS! FOR WINDOWS XP.MSI"
In my RunOnceEx.cmd I have this:
cmdow @ /HID
@echo off

set tagfile=\WIN51
for %%i in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist "%%i:%tagfile%" set CDROM=%%i:

SET OEMPATH=%CDROM%\$OEM$
SET OEMINSTALL=%CDROM%\$OEM$\$1\Install

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Installing Applications" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "7-Zip" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "%OEMINSTALL%\7Zip.exe -y /q:n /r:n" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\002 /VE /D "PLUS!" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 1 /D "7za x -y -aoa -o%systemdrive%\Plus! %OEMINSTALL%\Plus!.7z" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\002 /V 2 /D "%SystemDrive%\Plus!\MICROSOFT PLUS! FOR WINDOWS XP.MSI /qb" /f
My question is will this work to extract the Plus!.exe to C:\Plus! and install it from there?
I should also mention that I have also put the 7za.exe in my i386 folder and txtsetup.inf entries in as well to extract it so it will be ready when I need it, though I have considered just taking the one I have in my \Program Files\7zip folder and placing that one directly into $OEM$\$$\System32 for sake of simplicity. Which is the best way to do this?
Also, one last question, I am curious if I still need to do all the other instructions listed here for this to work or not, since I am just wanting to call all of these instructions from my RunOnceEx.cmd file? This last question is becuase I don't fully understand what to do here as it's not really all to clear to me, my single brain cell is frying as I type this.
I ask this because I have yet to test it, and want to be sure I have the syntax correct before I add other programs to the list. FWIW, I am also including the RunOnceEx.cmd file for reference below.

*EDITED Typos and an addition below*

I forgot to mention, I also added this to my TXTSETUP.SIF file, but I am unsure about the Drvz.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0 because I don't have this file or know where to obtain it.
[SourceDisksFiles]
7za.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
Drvz.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
DevPath.exe = 1,,,,,,,2,0,0
Do I need anything else in here as well?

Attached Files

Edited by DisabledTrucker, 20 September 2004 - 01:00 AM.

Matthew 22:36-40

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 04-December 03
@DisabledTrucker:
This thread is mainly about unattended driver installations, if you just want to extract the 7z-archive with your RunonceEx.cmd, you don't need anything from this thread, it should work like you described it. The Drvz.exe is from another thread about unattended driver installation, again not needed if you just want to extract that archive. (you can leave DevPath.exe out as well)

@all:
I am now into investigating that svcpack.inf issue. (Still having problems getting that stuff to work with an unmodified XP CD though... ;))

--
Pyron

millennium_bug

millennium_bug
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 19-September 04
Anyone try to do it this way?

(step 1) compress the new driver .infs in the i386 directory so they are ".in_" and extract to the Windows\inf folder via txtsetup.sif...

(step2) and then compress the rest of the files into cabs (maybe multiple cabs cause some of the filenames are the same w/ different filesizes...) and then have those cabs copy to the Windows\Driver Cache\i386

I noticed that with service pack 2, Microsoft created a file called sp2.cab that resides in the Windows\Driver Cache\i386 (where the big drivers.cab is). I searched in the registry for sp2.cab, but it didn't find anything...What I think is that Windows automatically searches through the Driver Cache\i386 for all cabs and plucks the files for the drivers...

Take the mass storage drivers as an example...

Get all the .inf's and use compress.exe to turn them into ".in_".......place those in the i386 install folder and then add those .in_/.inf names to the txtsetup.sif so they extract to the %systemroot%\inf folder.

Then take the remaining files (.sys, .hlp, .exe, .dll, .cat, etc) and add them to a .cab like MassStorage.cab and then use txtsetup.sif to copy it to the %systemroot%\Driver Cache\i386 folder.

What I "hope" happens is Windows will find the inf for the driver in the Windows\inf and then consult EVERYTHING in the Windows\Driver Cache\i386 and then pluck the files it needs.

I haven't done this yet, but hopefully it works :) -- btw, if it does, it might be better than the other methods of integrating the drivers :)

One thing someone can do, is analyze how they added the drivers in the service pack 2 by looking at that 266mb network install file to see how it was done...I'm not sure, but I think my method might work...

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

@DisabledTrucker:
This thread is mainly about unattended driver installations, if you just want to extract the 7z-archive with your RunonceEx.cmd, you don't need anything from this thread, it should work like you described it. The Drvz.exe is from another thread about unattended driver installation, again not needed if you just want to extract that archive. (you can leave DevPath.exe out as well)
*edited*

I realize it was about unattended drivers, but it also kinda fit what I was looking for as well, mostly because I will be using this same thing to install some of my drivers with, which was the reasoning behind my going with the file which give me the most headache. I was just trying to figure out if I was doing it all right or not, and if not what I needed to change so it will work correctly. I plan on using a couple of Bâshrat the Sneaky's driver packs into this as well.

"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?" And he, (Jesus,) said to him, "You shall love the Lord Your GOD with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind. This is the greatest and first commandment. And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets."

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
@Pyron, thanks for looking into it...I normally know what I am doing, but there is that chance that something gets overlooked...like I had a svcpack issue, and it was ALL because I didnt update dosnet.inf...but that was before sp2 came out, now I have steps I go through...so thanks again for looking at it...

DisabledTrucker

DisabledTrucker

• PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • Joined 02-July 04

Anyone try to do it this way?

(step 1) compress the new driver .infs in the i386 directory so they are ".in_" and extract to the Windows\inf folder via txtsetup.sif...

(step2) and then compress the rest of the files into cabs (maybe multiple cabs cause some of the filenames are the same w/ different filesizes...) and then have those cabs copy to the Windows\Driver Cache\i386

I noticed that with service pack 2, Microsoft created a file called sp2.cab that resides in the Windows\Driver Cache\i386 (where the big drivers.cab is).  I searched in the registry for sp2.cab, but it didn't find anything...What I think is that Windows automatically searches through the Driver Cache\i386 for all cabs and plucks the files for the drivers...

*Edited For Content*

I haven't done this yet, but hopefully it works :) -- btw, if it does, it might be better than the other methods of integrating the drivers :)

One thing someone can do, is analyze how they added the drivers in the service pack 2 by looking at that 266mb network install file to see how it was done...I'm not sure, but I think my method might work...

I have been working on that way for a while now, but I don't seem to be having any luck with doing it that way, when I get it done, I hope to make it universal so anyone can use it, in a XML file or something which will work to incoporate all the drivers into the cabs and put them in i386 with all the required information placed in the inf's, registry, etc.
The problem I am having is being able to find all the correct places to call for everything when it's needed to be installed. It will leave the folder structure of the CD alone, with everything incorporated into the i386 folder just as M$ does everything. But would add any updates to the O/S there as well.

Once I figure out where everything is being called from, I will be able to takle this better, right now, with my seizure disorder and what's left of my single brain cell, I am having problems with concentrating on what I am doing long enough to get this working in a more timely fashion. I hope to have this working 100% by the time "Longhorn" is released at the latest. I realize that XPCreate comes close to what this will acomplish, but what I want to do goes beyond what is being done in XPCreate, because there wont be more than two or three extra folders to hold svcpack, txtmode, and hotfixes. Plus you will be able to .cab all your pic files for use as wallpapers, theme your desktop, and do basically everything that people want to be able to do here, all within the i386 folder structure which is already available. Such as add programs, drivers, etc Right now I have 160GB of HDD space being used to decypher all of this as I am trying to get through about 20 different methods of doing each thing.

Yea, it's easy to add wallpaper, all you need to do is cab your pic files place them into i386 and add their entries in txtsetup.inf as they are done with say bliss.jpg for example, then add the entries in the other file as well, which will rename them to their correct names, (cant remember if this is also done in txtsetup.inf or what file it's actually done in, but it's done in one of the files I was looking at in the i386 folder.) (Such as REDMOON ==> Red Moon Desert.) This is also the way I do my theme files as well.

Anyway, I have hogged this thread long enough on this subject, but those are some of what I have been working on.

bilemke

bilemke

• PipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 08-December 03
All the infs would need to be modifed to look for the files in the corect place similair to the ones ms includes in the inf folder. The ones most commonly downloaded from any manufacturer tend to refer to their own source file locations.

serialzs

serialzs

• PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Joined 21-December 03
@DisabledTrucker

here is the link for the new guide...
the DRVZ.EXE doesn't working im so SORRY for that...
but im sure this new guide works 100%... :thumbup

heres the link

-=[serialzs]=-

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
ok, think i solved the svcpack issue...you must use setup.exe -newsetup %1 %2 %3 %4 (or whatever) and svcpack.inf will run...or at least it runs my cmd file right now...gonna test with all the hotfixes in a minute.

EDIT: Verified...in presetup.cmd make sure you add -newsetup after setup.exe and svcpack.inf will run...maybe pyron will autoupdate his presetup.cmd for all those who will download it in the future...

bitmonster

bitmonster

• 35 posts
  • Joined 29-March 04
I just verified, that the presetup.cmd from Pyron already gets the "-newsetup" parameter correctly. So we should find out, why evilvoice's batch is not working, before someone calls setup.exe with a "-newsetup -newsetup" parameter.

One easy way to find out if the batch receives the parameters correctly is to write them to a file like this:
echo %0>c:\test.txt
echo %1>>c:\test.txt
echo %2>>c:\test.txt
echo %3>>c:\test.txt
echo %4>>c:\test.txt
echo %5>>c:\test.txt
echo %6>>c:\test.txt
echo %7>>c:\test.txt
echo %8>>c:\test.txt
echo %9>>c:\test.txt
Just put these lines at the beginning of the presetup.cmd and inspect the C:\test.txt file after the installation.

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 04-December 03
Ok, now I am officially confused.

One of the new additions to my setup.exe was that the parameters given to it are carried over to the presetup.cmd script, therefore that
setup.exe %1 %2 %3 %4
line.
Some of you may remember that I use two scripts in my own setup. I start cmdlines.cmd on the CD for easier testing in a VM and forgot that the parameters are not automatically carried over to the next script, therefore I had to change my last line in presetup.cmd to
call cmdlines.cmd %1 %2 %3 %4
instead of just
call cmdlines.cmd
@evilvoice: Are you, by coincidence, using two scripts? (or maybe even an older setup.exe which doesn't get the parameters?) If in doubt, try bitmonster's method to determine if setup.exe gets the right parameters (directly in presetup.cmd).

--
Pyron

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
no 2 scripts...and after being told by bitmonster that it works on his, I redownloaded setup.ex_...is there a fileversion I can get to compare and make sure? Date modified is the same from the setup.ex_ that I just downloaded and the one Ive been running.

EDIT: ok, using bitmonsters post about how to test setup.exe, this is my test.txt output...

presetup.cmd
-newsetup
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF
ECHO is OFF

ya know, looking at this code...I have a question...presetup.cmd shouldnt be the first variable...-newsetup shouldbe...the way its doing it now is this

setup.exe is set with %1 %2 %3 %4

so setup.exe would run like this..."setup.exe presetup.cmd -newsetup" so maybe we should instead of starting at %1, maybe start at %2,..moreover, this makes me wonder how the hell do you guys have it working on yours?

Pyron

Pyron

Junior

• Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Joined 04-December 03
I have never had this before.... "presetup.cmd" as first parameter is definately wrong here and looking at the source I have simply no explanation for that effect. But I changed some string operations, maybe some hidden bug there. I attached the new version, please try it.

--
Pyron

Attached Files

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
hmm, ya know, in rethinking...%0 is presetup.cmd, not %1, %1 is -newsetup...I have no idea why its not passing to setup.exe...is it getting lost in my presetup.cmd...I combined this method with serialzs updated guide for compressed drivers...

evilvoice

evilvoice

Ditchy McAbandonpants

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Joined 27-January 04
tested new setup.ex_ and from what I can see, it installs in vm...so I have no idea what it was...might have been a bad iso i was working with...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users