Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Fallout 3

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

CaptainStacks

CaptainStacks

Junior

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 31-July 07
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have been playing Fallout 3.

I'm personally loving it. Sure, it kind of feels like Oblivion, but is that really a bad thing?
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I would really like to play it. If I was a smart spender, I would have a computer at home able to play it... man I can't save money if I try. :unsure:
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3-5 | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

ripken204

ripken204

The Hardware Guy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,311 posts
  • Joined 23-December 04
I like the game so far, as the OP said it feels like Oblivion, and Oblivion is one of my favorite games :)
i just wish that the weapon system was a little better, the guns and their aiming seems a bit dummied down.
it also is a pretty good looking game, not as good as Oblivion but i guess that it because Oblivion has such beautiful nature, Fallout 3 is just an atomic wasteland..

Desktop: || lappped Q6700 w/ lapped TRUE || ASUS P5Q Deluxe|| Sapphire 4870 1GB || Mushkin Ascent XP2-8500 (2x2GB) || 2 x WD6400AAKS || Corsair HX620W || Lian-Li PC-60FB || 2 x BenQ G2400WD || Vista Ultimate 64bit || Samsung SH-S223Q || Logitech MX518 || Logitech Ultra-X || SteelSeries SX || Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 || ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe ||
Server: || E5200 w/ XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 || ASUS P5Q-EM || EVGA 8800GTS G92 w/ Accelero S1 R2 || G.SKILL 6400 2x2GB || 1 x WD6400AAKS || 4 x 1TB Samsung F1 || SeaSonic M12II SS-500GM || Antec Three Hundred || Samsung SH-203BL || Ubuntu 8.10 ||

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

At least on the PC, since Fallout 3 was based on Oblivion, is it modder friendly? Has any mods been made for it yet?
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

glocK_94

glocK_94

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Joined 13-July 06

At least on the PC, since Fallout 3 was based on Oblivion, is it modder friendly? Has any mods been made for it yet?

Well, Bethesda just released the GECK, which is basically a SDK. So, mods should arrive soon.

Hey guys, just wondering if any of you have been playing Fallout 3.

I'm personally loving it. Sure, it kind of feels like Oblivion, but is that really a bad thing?

I'm a big fan of the Fallout serie (even Fallout tactics...) and I was really afraid they'd kill the Fallout spirit but nope, it's really a GREAT game :thumbup .

Actually, I like this game so much that I won't touch GTA IV before I finish it (and I mean side missions and at least several ends)!
A bit more humour and a fully PC optimized interface would have been nice though.
Traductions fran├žaises des packs & MAJs pour Win98 : Posted Image

Stand up for Windows 9x ! Use a 9x userbar in your sig : Posted Image

jeffredo

jeffredo

• 12 posts
  • Joined 12-December 04
I spent about 1000 hours on Oblivion over two years time. I spent 105 on Fallout 3 before wrapping up the main quest and am struggling to get another character going. While Bethesda did a lot of things better than in Oblivion, I can't seem to get too interested in the NPCs like I did in that game (as far as caring about them).

CaptainStacks

CaptainStacks

Junior

• Pip
  • 97 posts
  • Joined 31-July 07

Actually, I like this game so much that I won't touch GTA IV before I finish it (and I mean side missions and at least several ends)!
A bit more humour and a fully PC optimized interface would have been nice though.

I agree, the interface is a little cumbersome at times.
"When we don't know who to hate, we hate ourselves." Chuck Palahniuk

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
I'm at level 19 and one the last part of the main quest. I don't want to beat it yet because I still have a lot of locations to discover.
I love the game. I haven't been this immersed in a game since Oblivion.

minotaur

minotaur

• 29 posts
  • Joined 04-July 07
I am at level 10, and I am loving every minute of this game. It's easily my game of the year.
Oblivion with guns and frickin "laser" beams, yeah! :lol:

EDIT: I just got the flamer, and I am having fun toasting the supermutants with it.

Edited by minotaur, 22 December 2008 - 11:27 AM.

Stoner81

Stoner81

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Joined 15-June 08
Played it and completed it.

My thoughts....

1. Game is too short I completed it in less than a week.
2. Graphically I expected more since they did Oblivion which was grogeous to look at.
3. Very prone to crashing even when I got the latest patch from them!!!!!

Overall a good game but could have been sooo much better and made Oblivion its b***h! but they missed that one hopefully the fourth one (if they make it) will be what this one should have been.

Zenskas

Zenskas

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 484 posts
  • Joined 07-May 08

Played it and completed it.

My thoughts....

1. Game is too short I completed it in less than a week.
2. Graphically I expected more since they did Oblivion which was grogeous to look at.
3. Very prone to crashing even when I got the latest patch from them!!!!!

Overall a good game but could have been sooo much better and made Oblivion its b***h! but they missed that one hopefully the fourth one (if they make it) will be what this one should have been.

Hey if you are annoyed with the games bugs take a little look here:

http://www.tweakguid...Fallout3_3.html

Also read the other pages of this guide for all the information you need to tweak this game to perform the best it can.

[Passive Gamer] Silverstone TJ08-EW | Intel Core i7 3770S | Silverstone Heligon HE02 | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | ASUS GTX 750 Ti Strix OC 2GB | Antec Neo HE 550W |

Jeremy

Jeremy

Casual Poster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,473 posts
  • Joined 24-June 04
Ever since the latest patch I have had more frequent crashes and I can't Alt+Tab as easily. I always have to End Task.
I might reinstall tonight with the second latest patch.
I've beaten Operation Anchorage (joke easy).

Maleko

Maleko

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 17-June 05
Only just got hold of this, and I love it! I love doblivion, and I love this!

No problems my end with crashes thus far!
Posted Image

DigeratiPrime

DigeratiPrime

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 3,550 posts
  • Joined 18-August 04
I gotta chime in, I got Fallout about two weeks ago and have been addicted to it. It definitely feels like Oblivion in terms of gameplay, graphics are good but should be better, music is great, combat system is different. Fallout is the best game I've played since Oblivion and it's better.
Recommended Software: KeePass | Microsoft ICE | VisualWget | Vitamin D Video |

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
is dying to start playing some of these games. i got lost planet 2 weeks ago, spent $700 on a new laptop to play it on and still cant get it playable. :realmad: i figured i would star with an older game and work my way up to the really good stuff ( like Fallout, and now Oblivion)

what are you all using for a controller ???
will the XBOX360 controller work on my PC ??

i picked up a Philips controller, but its not right at all ?? directional stick is off, up is left, left is down, its not going to be an option.

wish me luck, some day soon i hope i will get my chance to play too. :thumbup
it sounds like its going to be a blast.

Maleko

Maleko

Gold Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined 17-June 05

what are you all using for a controller ???
will the XBOX360 controller work on my PC ??

Keyboard and mouse all the way!

XBOX controllers do work, have use done before..don't knwo if it will work on FO3, never tried, but you can use them on a PC.
Posted Image

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
Keyboard and mouse all the way! :o

WOW no kidding, last time i tried that was an old tom Clancy's rainbow 6 game
it drove me nutzzzzz :crazy: how do ya keep the key's strait ????
made me give up on first person games until now.
new computer new start, new toys. :thumbup

been surviving on C&C all this time, ready to step up to the big boys toys.
although i just got warcraft3 so that will distract me for a bit.LOL

thanks for the info
James

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

Typically, I try to use the same keys for all games. The first thing I ever do after installing a new (FPS for example) game is to redo the keys.

I can't stand using controllers for FPS, and I am terrible playing games on XBOX or anything else. I use my mouse with really high sensitivity, so I can't stand the sluggishness of controllers.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
i supose its all what you get used to.
i'll have to give it a try.
resetting the keys might help,
getting used to them will defenetly help.:)
i'll practice on lost planet, then try stepping up to fallout.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

And don't forget, if you want to try the keyboard, you don't always have to use WASD for movement. This seems to be popular, but I find it very easy to hit the wrong keys, so I always use the arrow keys for movement, and change the keys around them for other stuff like reload, switch weapon, croutch, etc. As I mentioned above, I haven't played Fallout 3 yet, but the key layout I used for Oblivion was the same I use for Quake 3 and the same I had used for Doom II.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
well i upgraded to a gamer laptop, so graphics are sweet and no longer an issue. :thumbup

so now its still the keys that are getting me.
i picked up a N52TE key pad. having trouble keying it in right ??

i will have to check for a post on it, or start on if there is not one here yet. with a lil luck one of you guys will have one and meat me in the new post to help me set it up.

Oblivion is definitely next on my must play list, then its on to Fallout. :thumbup

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
hey guys, are Oblivion and fallout 3 rush threw games?? or can you take your time and wander around looking for cool stuff or just checking things out ?? kinda like metal gear solid, or is it more like lost planet or medal of honor ?? in lost planet you have an eco soot that you have to keep filled up so you have to rush to the next check point to fill it or kill a bug to get a little. if ya run out of bugs you gotta hurry. i found in medal of honor you really need to run threw killing fast and move as well.

i like games that you cam spend more time wandering around in. metal gear has limited wandering space, but you can go slow and check out or kill as you feel the mood.
I'm looking to get a new game and was wondering if Oblivion and fallout 3 fell more into the wander and kill as you want mode or more of the rush if you want to live kind of thing ??

so how about a whats it like on them ?? :w00t:

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,923 posts
  • Joined 28-April 06

Donator

I have "completed" Oblivion so far, never played Fallout 3 but I understand its the same thing. The cool thing about Oblivion is that you can do anything you want. You choose whether or not to follow any quest you are given, or even playing the main quest. After you load the game, you can ignore your "destiny" altogether and do whatever you want. If that means you want to collect brooms, or kill everyone, or go around making potions or eating all the plants you can find, it is up to you. In fact, with both of these games, after you complete the main quest, you can still play it and go about and do whatever you want. There are a bunch of side quests, and different factions you can join and such. And if that eventually gets boring, there are large modding communities for both games to add extra content into them. Be it new quests, factions, houses, boats, enemies, races, weapons, you name it.

The only thing that becomes a pain is if you start using mods is that your program folder can get very large! :lol:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

fun4now

fun4now

Junior

• Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Joined 03-March 09
sweet, that the kind of game im looking for. a game i will still play 3 years from now.
i still play my C&C games from 10 years ago, just love them lil critters.
looking forward to Oblivion first then fallout.
just have to let the wallet recover from buying this laptop a bit first.:(
thanks
James

Lord of Sound

Lord of Sound

• 12 posts
  • Joined 24-March 09
I finished it and the first add on, just coz I'm a huge fan of the game.
But I have to confess that I'm a fan of an Interplay game.
#'d one seems like an atomic bomb feel down on oblivion => it's short, and boring.
It doesn't have all the great atmosphere of the first and second games...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users