• Announcements

• xper

MSFN Sponsorship and AdBlockers!   07/10/2016

Dear members, MSFN is made available via subscriptions, donations and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, become a site sponsor and ads will be disabled automatically and by subscribing you get other sponsor benefits.
tommyp

Windows Updates

776 posts in this topic

what's the status of Windows Installer 4.5 integrating support?

It looks like installer if for xp and greater (I don't use xp). So I would need help with it. One of these days when I get some free time, I'll start a new thread with some betas for people to check out. I refuse to change my OS to do testing.

Edited by tommyp

@ Acheron

If I remember correctly the last beta I tried include windows installer 4.5 and not well integrated, but you can try to t-13 (HFSVCPACK_SW1) and works well.

Thanks for the feedback Marsianin. Those two updates are already on the list though.

Hi, the new hotfix 967715 is listed by MU for Windows 2000 (even xp or 2003, but I've only checked my 2k VM). It contain an update version of shell32.dll, so I think that replace the hotfix 921398 (not linsted when 967715 is previously installed).

And many thank for keeping updated this list!

Further information:

KB967715 is the same update as KB953252. It's just that KB953252 was never offered on Automatic Updates, but now KB967715 is.

If systems already have the update offered in Knowledge Base Article 953252 installed does this update need to be installed as well?

No. Systems that have installed the update offered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 953252 will not need the update offered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 967715. Systems with the update offered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 953252 installed already have the version of the update that correctly respects the registry keys values to disable Autorun. The update that is offered in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 967715 contains the same update, but was deployed via automatic updating.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...ory/967940.mspx

There are 2 new updates on my WU (kb959772 and kb961118). Are they safe to add them at HF Folder?

There are 2 new updates on my WU (kb959772 and kb961118). Are they safe to add them at HF Folder?

Sounds like you are a wmp11 type of guy. How unfortunate. lol. There's FAR better media players than wmp11. Assuming your using the latest beta, you can use HF for the 959772 update. I'll have to add this to the WU listings. The 961118 is a .net related issue not a windows update. I don't plan on integrating a .net update into hfslip. Sorry about that.

Sounds like you are a wmp11 type of guy. How unfortunate. lol. There's FAR better media players than wmp11. Assuming your using the latest beta, you can use HF for the 959772 update. I'll have to add this to the WU listings. The 961118 is a .net related issue not a windows update. I don't plan on integrating a .net update into hfslip. Sorry about that.

lol. I am a "microsoft up to date" type of guy. Even I don't use wmp11, I like every update to be installed.

As far for 961118 it is strange because it is stated as Windows XP critical update and it cannot be slipstreamed with Silent NET Maker and I thought it could be slipstreamed to XP source. Thank you for the explanation.

Just a quick note I figured out after a little bit of digging. On your Windows 2000 list, you say that in March 2009, 951748 is to be deleted. Yes, this is true, but ONLY on Server. On Professional it is still a valid update with no successor.

Thanks for the input. Strange how the old HF was updated only for server.

Well, I thought that myself, but looked at it more closely. The reason it was updated for Server only was an unrelated set of updates fixing DNS and WINS Server vulnerabilities (that you have listed) which apparently updated all the files included in 951748, making it obsolete. But since those updates were only for DNS server and WINS server, you naturally wouldn't want to apply that to Professional.

kb909520 showed up on my WU. I downloaded Windows-KB909520-v1.000-x86-ELL and added in HF folder and installed OK. You can add this update in XP Hfslip List.

Is this smartcard hotfix a critical or non-critical update?

KB909520 is an optional non-critical update on my XP SP3 and 2K SP4 machines.

Edited by krose

Let's give this update a few days to see if it's true. There are plenty of occasions that things like this happen. On top of it all, I don't see why a hotfix from 2005 is coming to light many years later. I plan on updating the list after patch Tuesday.

I plan on updating the list after patch Tuesday.
Yay! I am getting my HFSLIP config converted from 2000 to XP and plan on implementing sometime post-Tuesday.

Hi, just noticed that the DirectX link still points to the november redistributable. Here you go for the current version. Cheers

Thanks for the update mukke.

To all -

Question 1 - Is KB909520 a valid update? Or is msft pulling our leg?

Question 2 - Can someone compile a list of IE8 updates?

Is KB909520 a valid update?
It's a valid update BUT
Or is msft pulling our leg?
seems like that to me: they're trying to push their new (vista+) 'way' of doing things.

So the real question is:

whether exist any hardware (smart card) that requires this new functionality and wouldn't work without it (won't work the old way)?

GL

Thanks for the update mukke.

To all -

Question 1 - Is KB909520 a valid update? Or is msft pulling our leg?

Question 2 - Can someone compile a list of IE8 updates?

1: I still see KB909520 in WU.

2: The only update for IE8 is KB968220

:hello:

"1: I still see KB909520 in WU."

I see this file, too. It is Optional, Validation required. Don´t know why MS offers this old file :huh:

Don´t know why MS offers this old file :huh:

Because you have a smard card reader?

GL

Don´t know why MS offers this old file :huh:

Because you have a smard card reader?

GL

I don't have a smartcard reader.