Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Windows Updates

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
775 replies to this topic

My2GirlsDad

My2GirlsDad

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Can you check the version of wmvcore.dll? It should be in windows\system32. The version should be 9.x.x.x.

My version is 9.0.0.3362

If it's version 9.x.x.x, do a clean install of the iso, run WMP9, then visit WU. Maybe something w/wmp9 needs to initialize to keep WU happy? I'm just throwing darts to figure this one out.

What do you mean by clean install of the iso? Do you mean just without WMP9? Please advise as I'm a little confused. I apologize for being dense.

Thank you for your patience and continued help.

M2GD

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,678 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
Clean install = install using the hfslip created iso. Once the iso is installed, click start/run/wmp so that it "runs". Typically when wmp is run the first time, a mess of registry stuff is added. Maybe WU is looking for that stuff. :unsure:
Posted Image

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08
New Update for Windows XP:

Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Installer 4.5 on Windows XP.

KB981669

Parseus

Parseus

Junior

• Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Joined 03-October 09

New Update for Windows XP:

Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Installer 4.5 on Windows XP.

KB981669

There's no sign of that in KB article, but when you compare binaries from these updates, you can see that KB981669 supersedes KB958655.
:)

Edited by Parseus, 27 April 2010 - 10:54 PM.

My2GirlsDad

My2GirlsDad

Junior

• Pip
  • 98 posts
  • Joined 28-December 08

Clean install = install using the hfslip created iso. Once the iso is installed, click start/run/wmp so that it "runs". Typically when wmp is run the first time, a mess of registry stuff is added. Maybe WU is looking for that stuff. :unsure:

tommyp,

I did what you said with the same result. MU still asks for the four updates for WMP6.4 even though I slipstreamed WMP9.

Should I resign myself to installing these hotfixes even though WMP6.4 is not suppose to be installed or do you have another idea?.

Thanks for your input.

M2GD

tommyp

tommyp

MSFN Addict

• Developer
  • 1,678 posts
  • Joined 09-January 04
I wish I had time to test, but time isn't on my side.

Can you try out using windows update instead of microsoft update? Try this, do another clean install and manually install WMP9. Visit WU and see what happens. Tell me if it reports that WM9 or WM6 are missing.

Next, rerun hfslip with all the wm 6 and wm9 hotfixes that you initially reported. Do a clean install and visit WU. Report what WU finds.
Posted Image

Inki

Inki

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05

MU still asks for the four updates for WMP6.4 even though I slipstreamed WMP9.

Should I resign myself to installing these hotfixes even though WMP6.4 is not suppose to be installed or do you have another idea?.

???

My humble understanding is, that MP6.4 is not replaced by WMP7/8/9/10/11 in 2k/XP, and it remains alongside whichever later version is also installed, whether that be manually or through HFSLIP. Thus, unless I am gravely mistaken, it would only be natural, that MP6.4 might feel a bit cross if everything else gets hotfixed while it is left hanging high and dry.

To test this, try launching 'Mplayer2' via the 'Run' command in the start menu and see what happens. Maybe you can remove it altogether, if somebody has reliably identified what binaries to prune, but I am not aware of such a method.

Inki

Inki

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
  • Joined 28-December 05
I am not sure if it is of any interest to anybody, but along the lines of my previous posting, please allow me to summarize my understanding of the nature of some WMP6.4 hotfixes:

The following patches for WMP6.4 are apparently more or less like other basic OS patches in the sense that the component to be patched is by default present:
- KB925398/MS06-078 for 2kSP4
- KB954600/MS08-076 for 2kSP4, XPSP3
- KB974112/MS09-052 for 2kSP4, XPSP3
- KB975025/MS09-051 for XPSP3
For WinXP, even the names of the hotfix installers follow the basic WindowsXP-KBXXXX.... structure. For Win2k, the names of the installers are typically like WindowsMedia6...., which may lead one to think that they are more optional than what is the case. Perhaps one might add some other hotfixes to that list, like what My2GirlsDad initially brought up, but I am not sure how the separating line between WMP6.4 and other system components might run.

On the other hand, the following patches are optional in the sense that they are actually patches to wmp6cdcs.exe, which itself is optional and installs WM9 codecs for WMP6.4:
- KB969878/MS09-051 for 2kSP4, XPSP3
- KB975025/MS09-051 for 2kSP4
It is easy to be mislead into thinking that they are somehow related to WMP9, but that would be incorrect. The most intuitive way to group these hotfixes would be together with wmp6cdcs.exe as optional add-ons to WMP6.4. Anyhow, without wmp6cdcs.exe it makes little sense to include them in HFSLIP.

Incidentally, it is possible to install wmp6cdcs.exe also on WinXP, though I am not sure how practical or useful that might be. On Win2k I did once come against a .wmv video file, that to my surprise launched WMP6.4 rather than WMP9, and the apparent reason was that the codec in question, (not a legacy codec, but a fairly recent one) was not available for WMP9 on Win2k, but was included in wmp6cdcs.exe.

Ok, that is how I see this thing. Of course, it is always possible that I may have missed or misunderstood something, as I am no IT expert.

Addition:

About KB977816/MS10-026. It seems to have two parts to it. The first, WM64 part, updates l3codecx.ax, which is an original WMP64 codec, (which would place the hotfix in the first category listed at the beginning). The second, WM9 part, updates l3codeca.acm, that comes with WMP9 (and is presumably also used by WMP11).

Edited by Inki, 05 May 2010 - 04:33 AM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
Mim0, Muppet Hunter, Parseus, tommyp, etc -

I ran into a discussion over at RyanVM's, beginning Here and continuing for the next 7 posts, that seem to agree that there is a problem with all of the updates to the Windows Installer 4.5 after KB967756. This includes last month's KB981669 which causes a problem with the Wndows Live Photo Gallery installation such that the installer stops with the following message:

"The Windows Inistaller Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Please try installing Windows Live programs again. An unknown error occurred. hr:0x80070641"

I tend to find that when 5eraph, ricktendo64, user_hidden, and RogueSpear all agree that there is a problem, there usually is. Has anyone run into this problem with a build made using HFSLIP such that we need to be aware of this and change our update lists accordingly? Just trying to keep anyone from having an unexpected problem.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 05 May 2010 - 06:17 PM.

Posted Image

Muppet Hunter

Muppet Hunter

XP Hotfix List Maintainer

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05

Mim0, Muppet Hunter, Parseus, tommyp, etc -

I ran into a discussion over at RyanVM's, beginning Here and continuing for the next 7 posts, that seem to agree that there is a problem with all of the updates to the Windows Installer 4.5 after KB967756.

Thanks for that bphlpt. I was just waiting for news of something like this after putting KB981669 in my list. I suppose I'll either have to add a note or roll back to KB958655 (KB967756 isn't downloadable).

Edited by Muppet Hunter, 05 May 2010 - 07:00 PM.

bphlpt

bphlpt

MSFN Addict

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts
  • Joined 12-May 07
I know we ALWAYS want to download all hotfixes directly for MS when at all possible, but in this case, since it's not, it is available at The HotFix Share. I do trust xable.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt, 05 May 2010 - 09:42 PM.

Posted Image

klenot

klenot
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
To fdv:

Fred, in your XP3 updates list http://www.vorck.com...otfixes_xp.html there is a typo:
WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe is listed both in the "active hotfixes" section and in a "to remove" section. It os obsolete now and should only be found in section "to remove".

The same it is with WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe. It only should appear in the section "to remove".

Moreover, this text "WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe" appears in the link to patch 975560. The link leads to correct patch, but is incorrectly labeled. Just search for string "WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe" in your list, and you will find it 3 times.

Muppet Hunter

Muppet Hunter

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05
klenot

Sorry for the errors, I think I must have edited a backup copy when I last did the list. I've just recently been through the whole thing and cleaned it all up.

I'll be updating as usual on Tuesday but in the meantime you can see the newer copy (attached).

Attached Files

Edited by Muppet Hunter, 12 May 2010 - 12:43 AM.

klenot

klenot
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
Guys,

Do I need to slipstream the WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe into XP SP3 install CD, if I plan to slipstream WMP11 also? In the post-SP3 updates list at vorck.com, there is no mention about WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe. But Mim0's list shows it as Important update.

Muppet Hunter

Muppet Hunter

• PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Joined 18-March 05
klenot

That one ought to be included. The WMP section is the last bit on my list that needs sorting out, so in the meantime use Mimo's list or even Boogy's one.

Edit : KB952069 will be included in the next lot of updates and this means that all the security fixes should be included. Some of the other non-security ones listed elsewhere probably aren't necessary unless you're having the problem described, but I'll take a look anyway.

Edited by Muppet Hunter, 12 May 2010 - 01:57 AM.

johnroberts

johnroberts
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-April 07
Hi TommyP, Mim0 and guys

just a note that the messenger.msi link is dead. KB899283 exists but the download link is bogus ATM.
Tried though to slipstream the latest wlm that I pulled from a full WLE installation.
I'm doing some tests on a VM but this seems to work OK. I've put it in \HFGUIRUNONCE same as before
but in contrast to the plain old Windows Messenger requires more stuff, namely:

messenger.msi (Windows Live Messenger 2009 14.0.8089.726)
Contacts.msi (windows Live Contacts)
dw20shared.msi (MS Application Error Reporting)
crt.msi (MS Visual C Runtime)

A patch is also needed to fix an issue with DBCS for WLM 14.0.
It's KB961503 -> \HF

Also, since Messenger 5.1 seems out of reach, KB946648 is no longer obsolete
and Messenger 4.7 is still operational besides WLM

Greets

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

just a note that the messenger.msi link is dead.

Yes, I noticed it also a few days ago. In my current update-list I've added download-links for ENU and DEU.

For ENU I got a download-link from MS. So it seems that the downloads are still available - only the download-page was removed.
For DEU I uploaded it.

Does others have the Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715 in other languages and can upload them? I would like to add more download-links. Or probably anyone has the direkt-download-links form MS...

Edited by Mim0, 11 May 2010 - 10:51 PM.

klenot

klenot
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
Mim0,

Looking into your updates list, I am confused by the KB972582 issue in Table 4: Non-security updates for Internet Explorer.

This workaround:
extract the shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (SP3GDR), compress it with makecab.exe to shdocvw.dl_ and place it to REPLACE\I386.
apply only for those, who do NOT slipstream IE8 ? May I completely forget about the KB972582 issue (and a workaround shown in your list), if I will slipstream IE8 and the latest cumulative security update for IE8 ?

Edited by klenot, 12 May 2010 - 03:58 AM.

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

This workaround:
extract the shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (SP3GDR), compress it with makecab.exe to shdocvw.dl_ and place it to REPLACE\I386.
apply only for those, who do NOT slipstream IE8 ? May I completely forget about the KB972582 issue (and a workaround shown in your list), if I will slipstream IE8 and the latest cumulative security update for IE8 ?

WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe is an optional update only when you slipstreaming IE8. It's marked as an IE8-Update in the column "File". And also the alternative (shdocvw.dl_) is only applicable together with IE8.

If you don't slipstream IE8 (still using IE6) WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (including the current shdocvw.dll) is mandatory because it's a security update for IE6.

Edited by Mim0, 12 May 2010 - 07:27 AM.

klenot

klenot
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
Thanks mim0 for your reply.

It seems, that I do not stated clearly what I do want. Well, my fault.

I plan to slipstream:
- IE8,
- WMP11,
- latest available post-SP3 hotfixes,
into XP SP3.

After reading your post, I went to your list and read the KB972582 issue once more, now carefully. So, if I will slipstream IE8, I have to:

- put the IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe hotfix (the one intended for IE8) into HF\ folder.
- extract (and compress it by makecab) the shdocvw.dll from the WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe (the one intended for IE6) and put it into REPLACE\I386\ folder.

Is it correct?

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

- put the IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe hotfix (the one intended for IE8) into HF\ folder.
- extract (and compress it by makecab) the shdocvw.dll from the WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe (the one intended for IE6) and put it into REPLACE\I386\ folder.

Yes! (but don't forget to 'makecab' it...)

Or use this:
- HF\IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe
and
- HF\WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe

Edited by Mim0, 12 May 2010 - 10:43 AM.

Maxfutur

Maxfutur

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • Joined 05-June 05

Does others have the Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715 in other languages and can upload them? I would like to add more download-links. Or probably anyone has the direkt-download-links form MS...

Windows Messenger 5.1 Spanish, uploaded by trustee:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMKSYGPM

PD, I've seen mimo's website down at the time of writing this post.
Mozilla Firefox http://www.getfirefox.com the best web browser i've used.

Mim0

Mim0

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Joined 23-September 08

Windows Messenger 5.1 Spanish, uploaded by trustee:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMKSYGPM

THX!!! I'll put the link to the list!!! :)

PD, I've seen mimo's website down at the time of writing this post.

Yes... ****! page will be only shortly..

johnroberts

johnroberts
  • 3 posts
  • Joined 03-April 07
Mim0 many thanks for the update.

In fact, kept them both. Windows Messenger 5.1 and WLM 2009/14
and both of them seem to work fine ;)

Greets

klenot

klenot
  • 9 posts
  • Joined 20-February 10
mim0, MuppetHunter, or anybody ho knows it..

I found another mismatch in those lists you maintain.

The Cumulative Time Zone Update KB979306 have to be placed in HFSVCPACK_SW1\ folder according to list at vorck.com, and into HF\ folder according to mim0's list.

Which destination folder is correct?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users