Windows Updates

tommyp

There will be an announcement regarding the 2000 hotfix list shortly.

And here it is.

I will be updating the Windows 2000 Hotfixes list at FDV's website until EOL (July 2010). Any issues regarding the list should be addressed to me henceforth, for the duration. To be sure of a prompt reply, it would be great if you could PM me, as well as posting here.

I'm a relative newcomer to HFSLIP, and like many of you I too have limits on my time. So in all likelihood I'll need your help, particularly regarding any unofficial updates that come along.

That said, I aim to update the page within 3 days (at most) of the release of updates (a rod for my own back there ;) ).

Also, Windows2000-DirectX9-KB975560-x86-ENU.exe goes into HFSVCPACK_SW1

Thanks PVU. The page will be corrected with that information shortly.

Thanks to all past and future contributors,

bristols

Edited by bristols

Two brief comments concerning both WinXP update lists (also applicable to Win2k), to the best of my understanding:

WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ENU.exe (DirectShow WMA Voice Codec / MS09-051) contains an updated version of wmavds32.ax, which apparently originates from "[Windows Media 9] Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player 6.4" (wmp6cdcs.exe). Thus, it is linked to MP6 rather than MP9, and it is probably pretty much useless without wmp6cdcs.exe.

Also, wuweb_site.cab is probably unnecessary, as it contains an older version of wuweb.dll than what exists in the latest version of windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe. (I managed without.)

There will be an announcement regarding the 2000 hotfix list shortly.

And here it is.

I will be updating the Windows 2000 Hotfixes list at FDV's website until EOL (July 2010). Any issues regarding the list should be addressed to me henceforth, for the duration. To be sure of a prompt reply, it would be great if you could PM me, as well as posting here.

I'm a relative newcomer to HFSLIP, and like many of you I too have limits on my time. So in all likelihood I'll need your help, particularly regarding any unofficial updates that come along.

That said, I aim to update the page within 3 days (at most) of the release of updates (a rod for my own back there ;) ).

Also, Windows2000-DirectX9-KB975560-x86-ENU.exe goes into HFSVCPACK_SW1

Thanks PVU. The page will be corrected with that information shortly.

Thanks to all past and future contributors,

bristols

bristols, thanks for picking this up. Time to deal with an official list was not on the agenda until June/July, so I'm glad you got it.

Edit: britols, you got my the IE update. The old IE cumulative update was in your Obsoleted column. Sorry for that.

By the way, that's a **** nice hotfix layout. Thanks again.

Edited by PVU

Two brief comments concerning both WinXP update lists (also applicable to Win2k), to the best of my understanding:

WindowsMedia9-KB969878-x86-ENU.exe (DirectShow WMA Voice Codec / MS09-051) contains an updated version of wmavds32.ax, which apparently originates from "[Windows Media 9] Codec Installation Package for Windows Media Player 6.4" (wmp6cdcs.exe). Thus, it is linked to MP6 rather than MP9, and it is probably pretty much useless without wmp6cdcs.exe.

Also, wuweb_site.cab is probably unnecessary, as it contains an older version of wuweb.dll than what exists in the latest version of windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe. (I managed without.)

Inki - I understand that WMP6.4 is like the base of WMP and that codec installation package is from 2004 and updates Windows 98, NT4, etc. I've no idea about wuweb as I never use WU, but the latest and greatest isn't always necessary (sometimes it breaks things too). Thanks for taking the trouble to post anyway.

Edited by Muppet Hunter

Does anyone know if the method of extracting the WMP11 installer to HF\WMP11 always works (as described on Mim0's list)? Personally I've always used WMLite11 and copied over newer dll's that I've collected from various hotfixes. I'm not sure about HFSLIP does this, but you can use nLite to rip out WMP 6.4 compatibility :D

On the subject of using WMP 9.5 codecs, have any of the files from wmfdist95.exe been replaced by security updates? That file is from KB891122 which is over 5 years old now.

I'm not sure about "always", but I haven't seen any reported problems here on the forum regarding using HF\WMP11. As to wmfdist95.exe, the latest discussion about it on the forum I've seen was here. That might give you some info.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Muppet - You can always try to do what I do. Create a HF\WMP11 subfolder, and extract only the wmfdist11.exe file there. This way, you can play WM11 encoded files on any player you like. Just make sure you include WMP11 hotfixes. It probably breaks WMP totally, but that doesn't bug me because I rip WMP out using hfcleanup ;). If you use WMP, then things can be funny. I still never get the point of WMP though. It never properly recognizes id tags. Once you use WMP to change and correct the ID tag, and then and then re-do the library, the new ID tag never sticks.

Thanks bphlpt.

Muppet - You can always try to do what I do. Create a HF\WMP11 subfolder, and extract only the wmfdist11.exe file there. This way, you can play WM11 encoded files on any player you like. Just make sure you include WMP11 hotfixes. It probably breaks WMP totally, but that doesn't bug me because I rip WMP out using hfcleanup ;). If you use WMP, then things can be funny. I still never get the point of WMP though. It never properly recognizes id tags. Once you use WMP to change and correct the ID tag, and then and then re-do the library, the new ID tag never sticks.

TP - I really asked about the HF\WMP11 thing because I added a note to my update list. I have used WMPLite to play videos in webpages, it just seems like a very heavily stripped down version plus codecs (VLC is another solution but I haven't tried it recently). FFdshow seemed to work pretty well when I tried it a few months ago. I've never really used the full WMP as I've heard that is sucks at most things media related :lol:

Hi all,

The Windows 2000 Hotfixes page at FDV's website has been updated with April 2010's patches, and a few other changes (see under the "Last update description" heading near the top of the page). Thanks go to Parseus for his help with some of these. Any issues, then please post here (but please PM me to make sure I reply promptly).

============

There are a few things on which I need you guys to help:

- 980858 - Windows Media Services 4.1 update, released this month. I've listed this. As far as I could see, TommyP did not list any Windows Media Services updates when he was maintaining the page. I'd like to know your opinion on these updates. Who needs them? Are they undesireable? I've listed 980858 as for Server only. Is that right?

- 977816 - Microsoft MPEG Layer-3 Codecs vulnerability, released this month. I think this is only for WMP6. Could anyone correct me otherwise?

- 976323 - Vulnerabilities in Microsoft Exchange and Windows SMTP Service, released this month. Again, I've listed this one as for Server only. Is that right?

- DirectX 9.0c (Gaming). We still have the March 2009 release here. I have refrained from replacing this with the February 2010 release, because I recall (vaguely) issues with it for Windows 2000 users. Parseus pointd me to a thread on extracting the cabs from the February 2010 DirectX release, but I'd like the input of users of HFSLIP for Windows 2000. Is there any reason why I shouldn't list this newer release?

============

Thanks,

bristols

Most of the answers are in the Microsoft Security Bulletin page, not the KB article. You should check them out, they often have good info.

980858 is a windows media service which is part of 2000 server, not part of 2000 pro. More than likely I missed a few server updates because, well, I never had 2000 server. :)

977816 is a codec thing, unrelated to wmp. The mpeg codec isn't part of the original 2000. The mpg codec is part of dx9. I'd include this hotfix if you are slipping dx9. It may work without dx9, but I'm not about to do testing on a 2000 machine without dx9.

981832. Never knew SMTP was part of 2k pro. The Bulletin says it's needed for 2k pro. Weird.

DX9 - I'm not going to download the latest package to see if some files are there, but you need bdant.cab & dxnt.cab to slipstream dx9. Hopefully they are part of the latest distro.

Most of the answers are in the Microsoft Security Bulletin page, not the KB article. You should check them out, they often have good info.

Indeed, I did (I usually try to find out myself, and only ask when I'm not satisfied with the answer :)).

(Aside: Most of my time at MSFN has been spent around the 9x forums. Observing people there get to the bottom of various problems (sometimes in spite of conventional wisdom) has lead me not to take everything I read in Microsoft Security Bulletins and Knowledge Base articles as gospel truth. It's just my impression, but the information Microsoft publishes in bulletins and KB articles seems to get sloppier, the older (and closer to EOL) that the system in question is.)

Thanks for clearing up 980858 (Windows Media Service). :thumbup

977816 is a codec thing, unrelated to wmp. The mpeg codec isn't part of the original 2000. The mpg codec is part of dx9. I'd include this hotfix if you are slipping dx9. It may work without dx9, but I'm not about to do testing on a 2000 machine without dx9.

Hmm, thanks. The bulletin for 977816 seems to confirm that, but it says also that the codecs are delivered via WMP:

The vulnerable MPEG Layer-3 audio codecs are the MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec for Microsoft DirectShow (l3codecx.ax) and the Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 ACM codecs (L3codeca.acm and L3codecp.acm). These MPEG Layer-3 audio codecs are delivered as part of Windows Media.

I just find that confusing.

981832. Never knew SMTP was part of 2k pro. The Bulletin says it's needed for 2k pro. Weird.

Right, neither did I. SMTP service has not been installed on any Win2k Pro system I've seen. Black Viper brings some clarity:

(SMTP is) not installed by default, but if needed, you may install it later off of the Windows 2000 CD.

It is installed by default with Server, I believe; just not with Pro.

When I have more time I'll look further into including the last version of DirectX 9. If anyone has any advice, please post!

DX9 - I'm not going to download the latest package to see if some files are there, but you need bdant.cab & dxnt.cab to slipstream dx9. Hopefully they are part of the latest distro.

They're still part of the DirectX 9.0c Redistributable.

bristols,

Since you are tracking Windows 2000 with different Script versions, you may want to revisit MS09-045, which designates KB971961 for Script 5.1 and 5.6, whereas KB975542 is for Script 5.7. Note that the Script 5.x installation package (scripten.exe) includes jscript.dll and vbscript.dll.

Thanks to all involved in maintaining these update lists.

Since you are tracking Windows 2000 with different Script versions, you may want to revisit MS09-045, which designates KB971961 for Script 5.1 and 5.6, whereas KB975542 is for Script 5.7. Note that the Script 5.x installation package (scripten.exe) includes jscript.dll and vbscript.dll.

Great spot. I had known that my coverage of Script updates was incomplete.

Thanks gubwy. Made it easy for me.

@ Muppet Hunter

First of all, lets just have a glimpse at all the thanks and the recognition you deserve for keeping the hotfix list up to date.

:angel

Just reporting a typing error, there are two "WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe" one links to kb971557 but the other one (feb 2010) links to kb975560.

Another thing : is it normal that some patches that were removed in feb 2010 are back in the main list now ?

Thanks again and keep up the good work !

Edited by xyu