tommyp

tommyp,

Windows2000 PRO slipstreaming WMP9.

When I run MU it asks for the following updates:

WindowsMedia6-KB925398-v2-x86-ENU.exe

WindowsMedia64-KB954600-x86-ENU.exe

windows2000-kb955759-x86-enu.exe

WindowsMedia64-KB974112-x86-ENU.exe

All of these updates are for WMP6.4. I have slipstreamed WMP9. Why is MU asking me for these? Is there a way to remove WMP6.4 or do I need to apply these updates?

Also, I tried putting Windows2000-WindowsMedia-KB977816-x86-ENU.EXE in HF, but because of WMP6.4, MU still asks for it. Do I need to put it in HFSVPACK_SW1?

Finally, MU asks for Windows2000-KB926122-x86-ENU.EXE which the bulletin says is for PRO and SERVER. The latest version of this update is Windows2000-KB973037-x86-ENU.EXE which is listed for SERVER only. Why is MU asking me for this update if it is for SERVER? Do I need to include it?

Your Thoughts?

M2GD

M2GD, I've found that WMP is a bit difficult on any OS and slipstreaming various varieties always could pose a prob, especially when it comes time for WM related hotfixes. First off, can you go through your HF folder and tell me if MPSetup.exe exists? I know it's a dumb question, but the presence of that file is supposed to trigger something. As far as the last hotfix you mention, MSFT is sloppy. Your resultant iso will not be corrupted if you include server hotfixes on a pro source. You may have a few extra files on your cd. No biggie. :)

M2GD, I've found that WMP is a bit difficult on any OS and slipstreaming various varieties always could pose a prob, especially when it comes time for WM related hotfixes. First off, can you go through your HF folder and tell me if MPSetup.exe exists? I know it's a dumb question, but the presence of that file is supposed to trigger something. As far as the last hotfix you mention, MSFT is sloppy. Your resultant iso will not be corrupted if you include server hotfixes on a pro source. You may have a few extra files on your cd. No biggie. :)

tommyp,

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I do have MPsetup.exe in the HF folder. Can WMP9 be extracted in a separate folder like WMP11 in XP or will that cause other problems? Just wondering!

As far as the server hotfix, what's one more file?

Appreciate your help.

M2GD

Edited by My2GirlsDad

I didn't go through all the hotfixes, only the 923869. Can you check the version of wmvcore.dll? It should be in windows\system32. The version should be 9.x.x.x. If it's version 9.x.x.x, do a clean install of the iso, run WMP9, then visit WU. Maybe something w/wmp9 needs to initialize to keep WU happy? I'm just throwing darts to figure this one out.

It is possible to extract the wmp9 installer, but hfslip won't process it if it's extracted. :) I'm glad you said "what's one more file". There's some folks out there that lose sleep with unused binaries in the sourcess folder. [yes this is true.] lol.

Edited by tommyp

Can you check the version of wmvcore.dll? It should be in windows\system32. The version should be 9.x.x.x.

My version is 9.0.0.3362

If it's version 9.x.x.x, do a clean install of the iso, run WMP9, then visit WU. Maybe something w/wmp9 needs to initialize to keep WU happy? I'm just throwing darts to figure this one out.

What do you mean by clean install of the iso? Do you mean just without WMP9? Please advise as I'm a little confused. I apologize for being dense.

Thank you for your patience and continued help.

M2GD

Clean install = install using the hfslip created iso. Once the iso is installed, click start/run/wmp so that it "runs". Typically when wmp is run the first time, a mess of registry stuff is added. Maybe WU is looking for that stuff. :unsure:

New Update for Windows XP:

Install this update to resolve a set of known application compatibility issues with Windows Installer 4.5 on Windows XP.

KB981669

There's no sign of that in KB article, but when you compare binaries from these updates, you can see that KB981669 supersedes KB958655.

:)

Edited by Parseus

Clean install = install using the hfslip created iso. Once the iso is installed, click start/run/wmp so that it "runs". Typically when wmp is run the first time, a mess of registry stuff is added. Maybe WU is looking for that stuff. :unsure:

tommyp,

I did what you said with the same result. MU still asks for the four updates for WMP6.4 even though I slipstreamed WMP9.

Should I resign myself to installing these hotfixes even though WMP6.4 is not suppose to be installed or do you have another idea?.

Thanks for your input.

M2GD

I wish I had time to test, but time isn't on my side.

Can you try out using windows update instead of microsoft update? Try this, do another clean install and manually install WMP9. Visit WU and see what happens. Tell me if it reports that WM9 or WM6 are missing.

Next, rerun hfslip with all the wm 6 and wm9 hotfixes that you initially reported. Do a clean install and visit WU. Report what WU finds.

MU still asks for the four updates for WMP6.4 even though I slipstreamed WMP9.

Should I resign myself to installing these hotfixes even though WMP6.4 is not suppose to be installed or do you have another idea?.

???

My humble understanding is, that MP6.4 is not replaced by WMP7/8/9/10/11 in 2k/XP, and it remains alongside whichever later version is also installed, whether that be manually or through HFSLIP. Thus, unless I am gravely mistaken, it would only be natural, that MP6.4 might feel a bit cross if everything else gets hotfixed while it is left hanging high and dry.

To test this, try launching 'Mplayer2' via the 'Run' command in the start menu and see what happens. Maybe you can remove it altogether, if somebody has reliably identified what binaries to prune, but I am not aware of such a method.

I am not sure if it is of any interest to anybody, but along the lines of my previous posting, please allow me to summarize my understanding of the nature of some WMP6.4 hotfixes:

The following patches for WMP6.4 are apparently more or less like other basic OS patches in the sense that the component to be patched is by default present:

- KB925398/MS06-078 for 2kSP4

- KB954600/MS08-076 for 2kSP4, XPSP3

- KB974112/MS09-052 for 2kSP4, XPSP3

- KB975025/MS09-051 for XPSP3

For WinXP, even the names of the hotfix installers follow the basic WindowsXP-KBXXXX.... structure. For Win2k, the names of the installers are typically like WindowsMedia6...., which may lead one to think that they are more optional than what is the case. Perhaps one might add some other hotfixes to that list, like what My2GirlsDad initially brought up, but I am not sure how the separating line between WMP6.4 and other system components might run.

On the other hand, the following patches are optional in the sense that they are actually patches to wmp6cdcs.exe, which itself is optional and installs WM9 codecs for WMP6.4:

- KB969878/MS09-051 for 2kSP4, XPSP3

- KB975025/MS09-051 for 2kSP4

It is easy to be mislead into thinking that they are somehow related to WMP9, but that would be incorrect. The most intuitive way to group these hotfixes would be together with wmp6cdcs.exe as optional add-ons to WMP6.4. Anyhow, without wmp6cdcs.exe it makes little sense to include them in HFSLIP.

Incidentally, it is possible to install wmp6cdcs.exe also on WinXP, though I am not sure how practical or useful that might be. On Win2k I did once come against a .wmv video file, that to my surprise launched WMP6.4 rather than WMP9, and the apparent reason was that the codec in question, (not a legacy codec, but a fairly recent one) was not available for WMP9 on Win2k, but was included in wmp6cdcs.exe.

Ok, that is how I see this thing. Of course, it is always possible that I may have missed or misunderstood something, as I am no IT expert.

Addition:

About KB977816/MS10-026. It seems to have two parts to it. The first, WM64 part, updates l3codecx.ax, which is an original WMP64 codec, (which would place the hotfix in the first category listed at the beginning). The second, WM9 part, updates l3codeca.acm, that comes with WMP9 (and is presumably also used by WMP11).

Edited by Inki

Mim0, Muppet Hunter, Parseus, tommyp, etc -

I ran into a discussion over at RyanVM's, beginning Here and continuing for the next 7 posts, that seem to agree that there is a problem with all of the updates to the Windows Installer 4.5 after KB967756. This includes last month's KB981669 which causes a problem with the Wndows Live Photo Gallery installation such that the installer stops with the following message:

"The Windows Inistaller Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Please try installing Windows Live programs again. An unknown error occurred. hr:0x80070641"

I tend to find that when 5eraph, ricktendo64, user_hidden, and RogueSpear all agree that there is a problem, there usually is. Has anyone run into this problem with a build made using HFSLIP such that we need to be aware of this and change our update lists accordingly? Just trying to keep anyone from having an unexpected problem.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Mim0, Muppet Hunter, Parseus, tommyp, etc -

I ran into a discussion over at RyanVM's, beginning Here and continuing for the next 7 posts, that seem to agree that there is a problem with all of the updates to the Windows Installer 4.5 after KB967756.

Thanks for that bphlpt. I was just waiting for news of something like this after putting KB981669 in my list. I suppose I'll either have to add a note or roll back to KB958655 (KB967756 isn't downloadable).

Edited by Muppet Hunter