Windows Updates

tommyp

I know we ALWAYS want to download all hotfixes directly for MS when at all possible, but in this case, since it's not, it is available at The HotFix Share. I do trust xable.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

To fdv:

Fred, in your XP3 updates list http://www.vorck.com/windows/hotfixes_xp.html there is a typo:

WindowsXP-KB971486-x86-ENU.exe is listed both in the "active hotfixes" section and in a "to remove" section. It os obsolete now and should only be found in section "to remove".

The same it is with WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe. It only should appear in the section "to remove".

Moreover, this text "WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe" appears in the link to patch 975560. The link leads to correct patch, but is incorrectly labeled. Just search for string "WindowsXP-KB971557-x86-ENU.exe" in your list, and you will find it 3 times.

klenot

Sorry for the errors, I think I must have edited a backup copy when I last did the list. I've just recently been through the whole thing and cleaned it all up.

I'll be updating as usual on Tuesday but in the meantime you can see the newer copy (attached).

hotfixes_xp.html

Edited by Muppet Hunter

Guys,

Do I need to slipstream the WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe into XP SP3 install CD, if I plan to slipstream WMP11 also? In the post-SP3 updates list at vorck.com, there is no mention about WindowsXP-WindowsMedia-KB952069-v2-x86-ENU.exe. But Mim0's list shows it as Important update.

klenot

That one ought to be included. The WMP section is the last bit on my list that needs sorting out, so in the meantime use Mimo's list or even Boogy's one.

Edit : KB952069 will be included in the next lot of updates and this means that all the security fixes should be included. Some of the other non-security ones listed elsewhere probably aren't necessary unless you're having the problem described, but I'll take a look anyway.

Edited by Muppet Hunter

Hi TommyP, Mim0 and guys

just a note that the messenger.msi link is dead. KB899283 exists but the download link is bogus ATM.

Tried though to slipstream the latest wlm that I pulled from a full WLE installation.

I'm doing some tests on a VM but this seems to work OK. I've put it in \HFGUIRUNONCE same as before

but in contrast to the plain old Windows Messenger requires more stuff, namely:

messenger.msi (Windows Live Messenger 2009 14.0.8089.726)

Contacts.msi (windows Live Contacts)

dw20shared.msi (MS Application Error Reporting)

crt.msi (MS Visual C Runtime)

A patch is also needed to fix an issue with DBCS for WLM 14.0.

It's KB961503 -> \HF

Also, since Messenger 5.1 seems out of reach, KB946648 is no longer obsolete

and Messenger 4.7 is still operational besides WLM

Greets

just a note that the messenger.msi link is dead.

Yes, I noticed it also a few days ago. In my current update-list I've added download-links for ENU and DEU.

For ENU I got a download-link from MS. So it seems that the downloads are still available - only the download-page was removed.

For DEU I uploaded it.

Does others have the Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715 in other languages and can upload them? I would like to add more download-links. Or probably anyone has the direkt-download-links form MS...

Edited by Mim0

Mim0,

Looking into your updates list, I am confused by the KB972582 issue in Table 4: Non-security updates for Internet Explorer.

This workaround:

extract the shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (SP3GDR), compress it with makecab.exe to shdocvw.dl_ and place it to REPLACE\I386.

apply only for those, who do NOT slipstream IE8 ? May I completely forget about the KB972582 issue (and a workaround shown in your list), if I will slipstream IE8 and the latest cumulative security update for IE8 ?

Edited by klenot

This workaround:

extract the shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (SP3GDR), compress it with makecab.exe to shdocvw.dl_ and place it to REPLACE\I386.

apply only for those, who do NOT slipstream IE8 ? May I completely forget about the KB972582 issue (and a workaround shown in your list), if I will slipstream IE8 and the latest cumulative security update for IE8 ?

WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe is an optional update only when you slipstreaming IE8. It's marked as an IE8-Update in the column "File". And also the alternative (shdocvw.dl_) is only applicable together with IE8.

If you don't slipstream IE8 (still using IE6) WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-XXX.exe (including the current shdocvw.dll) is mandatory because it's a security update for IE6.

Edited by Mim0

Thanks mim0 for your reply.

It seems, that I do not stated clearly what I do want. Well, my fault.

I plan to slipstream:

- IE8,

- WMP11,

- latest available post-SP3 hotfixes,

into XP SP3.

After reading your post, I went to your list and read the KB972582 issue once more, now carefully. So, if I will slipstream IE8, I have to:

- put the IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe hotfix (the one intended for IE8) into HF\ folder.

- extract (and compress it by makecab) the shdocvw.dll from the WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe (the one intended for IE6) and put it into REPLACE\I386\ folder.

Is it correct?

- put the IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe hotfix (the one intended for IE8) into HF\ folder.

- extract (and compress it by makecab) the shdocvw.dll from the WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe (the one intended for IE6) and put it into REPLACE\I386\ folder.

Yes! (but don't forget to 'makecab' it...)

Or use this:

- HF\IE8-WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe

and

- HF\WindowsXP-KB980182-x86-ENU.exe

Edited by Mim0

Does others have the Windows Messenger 5.1.0.715 in other languages and can upload them? I would like to add more download-links. Or probably anyone has the direkt-download-links form MS...

Windows Messenger 5.1 Spanish, uploaded by trustee:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JMKSYGPM

PD, I've seen mimo's website down at the time of writing this post.

mim0, MuppetHunter, or anybody ho knows it..

I found another mismatch in those lists you maintain.

The Cumulative Time Zone Update KB979306 have to be placed in HFSVCPACK_SW1\ folder according to list at vorck.com, and into HF\ folder according to mim0's list.

Which destination folder is correct?