Windows Updates

tommyp

Guys,

I have the vanilla XP SP3 install media and want to make it up-to-date. Do I need to slipstream both of these patches:

- msxml6-KB973686-XXX-x86.exe (MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2)

- WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-XXX.exe (Update for Windows XP (MSXML3 & MSXML6))

M$'s KB article states, that KB973686 is only for Win XP SP2.

KB973687 brings MSXML3 to version 8.100.1051.0 and MSXML6 to version 6.20.1103.0.

KB973686 updates MSXML6 again - to version 6.20.2003.0.

Both updates are worth to use.

Edited by Mim0

Guys,

I have the vanilla XP SP3 install media and want to make it up-to-date. Do I need to slipstream both of these patches:

- msxml6-KB973686-XXX-x86.exe (MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2)

- WindowsXP-KB973687-x86-XXX.exe (Update for Windows XP (MSXML3 & MSXML6))

M$'s KB article states, that KB973686 is only for Win XP SP2.

Hi

I guess, if you have SP3 in, you don't need a fix for SP2. (?)

Eveline

(Edit)

I'm Sorry if I caused confusion. MimO already gave the (not too obvious) better answer.

MimO, thanks a lot for your list and the great file checking tool!

kind regards

Eveline

Edited by ebernard

My XP Hotfix List has been updated for June.

There's just one note I've added since emailing the list and it's to point out that the August 2008 bugfix KB951978 is for IE6 or IE7.

I think any major problems have pretty much been sorted out, but feel free to let me know of any issues you may encounter.

Jun 2010 Changelog

Updated : [Adobe Flash] SWFLASH.CAB - Updated to v10.1.53.64 (Security Update)

Updated : [Roots Certificates] KB931125 - Update for May 2010

Replaced : [Kernel-Mode Drivers] KB969947 - Replaced by Security Update KB979559

Replaced : [WMP (9,10,11) Security] KB968816 - Replaced by Security Update KB978695

Replaced : [ActiveX Killbits Cumulative] KB978262 - Replaced by Security Update KB980195

Replaced : [iE6 & IE8 Cumulative] KB980182 - Replaced by Security Update KB982381

Replaced : [iE8 Compatibility View List] KB980302 - Replaced by KB982632

Added : [DirectShow] KB975562 - Security Update

Added : [Asycfilt.dll (COM)] KB979482 - Security Update

Added : [OpenType CFF] KB980218 - Security Update

Misc : [Timezone Update] Changed default folder from HFSVCPACK_SW1 to HF

Misc : IE8 users need the IE6 cumulative update to solve the 'Organize Favorites' Issue

Misc : Changed the severities of the updates which were marked N/A

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Windows Messenger 5.1 Portuguese (Portugal) PTG in Windows XP Newsgroups...

Keep the good work HFSleepers :)

Courtesy of the lovely Menthix:

http://tinyurl.com/3xw8qc7

--

Jonathan Kay

Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger

MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger

MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com

Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com

© 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation

4 days to go!

I've uploaded it to this address: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PIBCK93U

I've uploaded it to this address: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PIBCK93U

ups... I've forgotten to add this link. Sorry. Coming soon... :)

btw... The new link doesn't offer this file. I take the previous link.

That's strange... I'm going to slipstream your updates today. And see if something is missing. ;)

I will reply asap.

Good job on your xp updates... I was wondering... do you have a filechecker for Windows 2000?

I'm going to make a final Windows 2000 Slipstream... because it's support is going to end in two days...

Let's see what can be done. ;)

...Good job on your xp updates... I was wondering... do you have a filechecker for Windows 2000?

For W2K, Parseus offers an extension: HFSLIPFC-2K. Put this file also in the HFSLIP-folder, fill the SOURCES-folder with W2K and start the file-checker. If you have an older INI, rename your current hfslipfc.ini and let hfslipfc create a new INI. There are some other options for W2K :)

...Good job on your xp updates... I was wondering... do you have a filechecker for Windows 2000?

For W2K, Parseus offers an extension: HFSLIPFC-2K. Put this file also in the HFSLIP-folder, fill the SOURCES-folder with W2K and start the file-checker. If you have an older INI, rename your current hfslipfc.ini and let hfslipfc create a new INI. There are some other options for W2K :)

Fine... today i will give a try. I had slipstreamed all your updates (except SP3) on my Windows Professional SP3 CD (MSDN ISO)

the slipstream went fine, the instalation fine, all ok... then i got online to check for updates...

it still shows KB905474! (Windows Genuine Notifications)

I read on the now dead Hfslip homepage about this... which update must I have? should I inspect Windows Update.log (On Windows Folder)

and see where Windows Update goes fetch the update? Or the update always proceeds this way (Will Always going to list as a missing update)?

Besides that point... It's fully working :) All well slipstreamed! I Will Proceed to Slipstream a Windows 2000 CD :) Thanks a Lot mim0

If i could help you guys... shout! ;)

Also, does anyone know if KB973540 is still necessary since the new WMP11 installer came out? It contains Wmp.dll & Wmpdxm.dll 11.0.5721.5268

It's still necessary (and still on my List :P)

The *new* WMP11 contains:

Wmp.dll 11.0.5721.5262

Wmpdxm.dll 11.0.5721.5262

It's really strange why MS doesn't put new version ...5268 of these DLLS into the installer :wacko:

Does anyone know the direct link for the new WMP11 installer? I'm on Linux at the moment so can't validate and download to get the link :}
is this the one you're looking for? ;)

I think that's the link to the old installer. The one I'm looking for is whatever the download link is from validating through this page http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=1d224714-e238-4e45-8668-5166114010ca

Also, does anyone know if KB973540 is still necessary since the new WMP11 installer came out? It contains Wmp.dll & Wmpdxm.dll 11.0.5721.5268

It's still necessary (and still on my List :P)

The *new* WMP11 contains:

Wmp.dll 11.0.5721.5262

Wmpdxm.dll 11.0.5721.5262

It's really strange why MS doesn't put new version ...5268 of these DLLS into the installer :wacko:

I suppose Microsoft want us all to be using Windows 7 :o