WinSetupFromUSB problem -> Grub4dos and win98 network install

junksmi

Well, I wanted to install my OEM version of XP on my laptop using WinSetupFromUSB, and it turns out it couldn't handle SP2.cab during "copying files" phase of setup (although those files were visible), and in the second phase, it couldn't find find Normaliz.dll, and when I put it there, the whole thing crashed.. possibly has something to do with my attempt to make that CD unattetended..

Anyways, I sort of got around it using a network install, so I just wanted to document my steps:

1. Used a Grub4DOS USB key, to boot a dos98 network boot floppy
    http://www.lockstockmods.net/download/11/ (referred by Install Windows over network with PXE)
    The commands are as follows (partly from Grub4dos tutorial - Grub4Dos Wiki):
    title Boot dos network image
    map --mem (hd0,0)/w98se-netboot.IMA (fd0)
    map --hook
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map --hook
    chainloader (fd0)+1
    rootnoverify (fd0)

Notice here that as we are booting from USB, originally it is the USB that represents drive hd0 (that is C:) - unless it is mapped to hd1 (which is actually the real hard drive) and vice versa, then after the network install via winnt.exe is started, XP setup thinks the USB drive is C, and it will copy files there (and potentially screw up your usb key !!!)
    Notice also, that for me the above commands did not work in a menu.lst (the process freezes) - however, they do work when executed one by one from the grub command line.

2. On the PC serving the installation files, we will have two shares:

1. Mount the XP iso, and then share the root of the virtual CD say as share1 (note: VCdControlTool virtual drives cannot be shared, and FileDisk virtual disk driver for Windows NT/2K/X - MSFN Forums didn't work, possibly because Sherpya filedisk-1.1.cab is now at 1.2; I used MagicDisc )
    2. Share another folder as share2, and then in it, place SMARTDRV.EXE)

3. Now boot, on the PC to be installed, into the w98 network does disk - and make sure the serving PC and the two shares are visible using net view, and then execute

> net use G: \\servepc\share2
      > G:\SMARTDRV.EXE
      > F:
      > cd I386
      > winnt
      > net use F: \\servepc\share1

Note that this procedure will pretty much copy the installation files to the hard drive, and then proceed the installation from harddrive (provided the correct mapping is done in grub4DOS) so it is not strictly a USB install :) (nor a network one I guess :D ) - however there are some changes from my regular CD experience; my OEM CD originally didn't ask for password - now it does; it originally registered all the partitions on the harddrive, and asked to partition either of them either as FAT or NTFS - now it only asks to repartition the first one as NTFS...
      So, eventually it'd be great to get this working fully unattended with WinSetupFromUSB - so if anyone has any ideas on how to fix the above problems, please report back; else I hope someone finds the method above useful :)
      Cheers..

Hi, thanks for the guide :)

As for the USB setup-

it turns out it couldn't handle SP2.cab during "copying files" phase of setup (although those files were visible)
You are saying the file was on the USB stick, right? Could it be a bad copy, due to antivirus interfering while preparing USB or a something else, related to the file copy operation? WinSetupFromUSB copies the whole folder I386 as it is, there is no messing of any kind. Maybe you can compare checksum of sp2.cab on USB and in the source folder...
and in the second phase, it couldn't find find Normaliz.dll, and when I put it there, the whole thing crashed.
Normaliz.dll is part of IE7 as far as I get it, did you add IE7 as nLite addon, or what method did you use? Are IE7 files outside I386 folder?
...however there are some changes from my regular CD experience; my OEM CD originally didn't ask for password - now it does;
Because you did not use your answer file ;)

winnt.exe /u:(path_to_)winnt.sif /s:....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739372.aspx

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articles/winntcmd.htm

Edited by ilko_t

@junksmi

Which version of grub4dos did you use?

Hooking twice (though possible in latest releases without --unhooking previous hook before) should not be needed.

Can you try this:

title Boot dos network image
find --set-root /w98se-netboot.ima
map --mem /w98se-netboot.ima (fd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
root (fd0)
chainloader (fd0)+1

See if there is a timing problem of some sort, by attempting inserting one or more pause -wait=n statements, see here for a reference by tinybit and Climbing:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...c=6231&st=0

jaclaz