What Firewall do you use in Win9x?

gkar

I currently use Netveda SafetyNet (free), seems to cause me no problems.

Have used Jetico PF (caused graphics problems in Doom3), Kerio 2.1.5 (intermittent bluescreens) and Sygate PF 5.6 (shuts down intermittlently or locks up), all have caused me problems of one type or another.

Edited by gkar

:whistle: ZALARM 37 and WiseRegistryCleaner ,YahooCA SpyRemover with 98SE using 98ME's Defrag & Scandisk with a hand fulla bandaids and prayers; my 6 98SE/MoBo's survive an insane unsecure internet enviroment :thumbup (p.s.:any browser than IE6sp1,if at all feasible!!!PreferOpera9.52or9.62) Edited by thydreamwalker

... I use an older version of ZoneAlarm ... before all the bloated and resource hog versions started. If you use Memload you can check the various firewalls ... I think this version was as good as Kerio 2.1.5 on resources. Works great on Windows 98SE and easy to get going "out of the box". I have the PRO version but the free version is just as good:

ZoneAlarm v4.5.594.000 .... the download link at ZoneAlarm still works ... wouldn't be a bad idea to download a copy and put it away somewhere to have for the future, if you decide one day to check it out. I can't say if it would work "very well" on a newer OS but for Windows 98SE, it's great. It is strictly a firewall ... nothing else ... no anti-virus or other junk included, as I said before, ... before all the bloat was added.

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/info...aseHistory.html ....

gkar .... what version of NetVeda Safety.Net do you use? ... the newer version (s) might not be working with Windows 98SE ... this was posted on Google. I may experiment with it and check to see how much resources it uses ... I like programs that get the job done using few "resources" as possible and very little (or no) bloat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version: NetVeda Safety.Net 3.8

"Causes Shutdown Problems"

by Mike98 on October 10, 2007

Cons: Netveda Safety.Net 3.80.0001 causes Windows 98SE to crash during shutdown of Windows. This is very disappointing, because it looked like a good firewall, especial ideal for older operation systems like 98SE, where not a lot offer is.

Was this review helpful? YES | NO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your version.

Edited by duffy98

gkar .... thanks for the info. I never heard of that firewall and will experiment with it, if it isn't too complicated setting it up. ... yeah, maybe that guy's computer was all messed up to begin with .... I didn't find anymore complaints ... I will check the resources used with Memload ... neat little program that works with Win 98SE .... gives you a reading on all programs running so you can see what uses what! Hard to find a download link these days but there are a few around.

I'll check out memload if I can find it, thanks. Safetynet is easy to setup, just choose the adapter you want to bind it to. That's it. You can go into finer detail with it but to get it up and running is just choosing the net adapter after the reboot.

.... I thought I had better give more info on the version of Memload I am talking about ... I did a Google search and found another version of something with the same name ... the version for 98SE is Memload v2.0 (July 2001) ... it is only 28 KB in size ... After several dead links I found a link in a foreign language that has the download.

... http://nosetup.org/programa/59 ..... in the Description top part click on "Descarga" .... that is still a good

download link and that is Memload. .... grab it while you can .... you can check all active running programs or compare one program version against another to check resources. May not be all that important but it can be interesting to see how many resources a program uses. What language is that ? ... Spanish ??

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by duffy98

If anyone wants to have their firewall/win98 system checked out, there's a useful (IMO) resource here:

www.grc.com

Click to enter, then scroll down to "Hot Spots" and "Shields Up". There's other resources on this site, including free downloads.

Except for one very odd WinME unit, the only thing I'm aware of Kerio 2.1.5 clashing with is a defragmenter, Perfect Disk I believe. Other than that, I haven't seen it conflict with anything. Some others haven't been so fortunate but that can happen with any software.

Shields Up is OK for scanning the lower ports. Beyond port 1055, it can only scan 64 ports at a time. Scanning all the upper ports with Shields Up would take forever. The port scanner at AuditMyPC scans ports 2500 at a time. It doesn't show "stealth", only open or closed. Stealthed ports are not as important as GRC makes them out to be. Most trojans use ports above 1055 which are too time consuming to scan at GRC. Some DSL modems and routers have an open port in the upper ranges too, especially ones supplied by ISPs. Scanning all the upper ports may surprise you.

Rick

Windows 98 doesn't need a firewall.

I've never known anyone running a firewall (9x, 2K, XP, etc) that's ever had their firewall alert them of any real malware threat.

If you're running a firewall, it's mainly because you are a control freak and want to prevent various third-party accessories, utilities, etc (adobe, flash, quicktime) even m$ software from "phoning home". That's ok, if you want to preoccupy yourself with petty stuff like that, but a software firewall isin't going to really give a win-98 system any protection from malware.

To keep junk like port scans and intrusion attempts off your local home or SOHO lan, you use a NAT router. Once you've got that, your software firewall won't see any incoming unsolicited attempts.

And your software firewall won't keep malware OFF your system. if your software firewall tells you that there's some unauthorized outgoing attempts, then your system has already been hacked, and you're lucky your software firewall is telling you because odds are the malware will deactivate your firewall anyways (along with your AV software).