nLite prob when integrating hofixes

groovydad

First of all, a big thank you to all of who have contributed to this forum - I am not particularly technically knowledgeable but find much of the guidance easy to follow.

I have reinstalled XP Pro onto my PC a couple of times over the last few years (usually due to fatal hardware errors and in one case due to a complete failure to permanently hunt and destroy a very obstinate virus/trojan chappy) - and it's a real pain: install XP from CD / install SATA drivers / install motherboard and other drivers / then reboot / then install SP2 / then reboot / then install SP3 / reboot / hotfixes / reboot etc. etc. So I was very pleasantly surprised to see there is an ability to create an XP disc with all the Service Packs and hotfixes already applied.

However, I seem to run into a problem when trying to integrate the post-SP3 hotfixes. Just so you know, when I do stuff like this I act like a chef following a recipe and I don't truly understand what is happening so let me set out the steps I took:

1. Copied source from XP Pro disc

2. Used nLite (1.4.9.1) to integrate SP2

3. Used nLite to integrate SP3

4. Used nLite to integrate latest hotfixes (obtained from RyanVM.net - RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.1.7z)

During the integration of the latest hotfixes, nLite crashes with the message "nlite.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" - this is during the updating of verdanab.ttf. The error signature is as follows:

AppName: nlite.exe AppVer: 1.4.9.1 ModName: msvcr90.dll

ModVer: 9.0.30729.1 Offset: 00068389

It is possible that I have got some of my sources mixed up :unsure: (but I had no previous error messages) so I am going to start afresh but can someone confirm that the sequence I am following is correct ?

*edit: I have tried the process again and hit the same problem - added a bit more detail above.

*edit: created a new source but only applying SP3 (not SP2). This time when applying hotfix I hit the same error but this time when updating winsrv.dll

Many thanks,

Mike

Edited by groovydad

groovydad,

You should integrate only one SP and do all your work in one nLite session against a new source. I suggest you make a fresh copy of your CD, start nLite and apply SP3, then the hot fixes.

Enjoy, John.

Just to clear up things:

All Service packs are cumulative (i.e. SP2 is the same as SP2+SP1 and SP3 is the same as SP3+SP2+SP1 or SP3+SP2 or SP3+SP1)

Never nlite an already nlited source.

If you need a "clean" Slipstreamed source, use directly the SPn:

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstrea...ce-pack-3.shtml

or a "simple" slipstreamer instead of nlite.

Then run RyanVM integration:

http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack-sp3.html

(with NO "advanced" settings changed)

Then use the result as source for nlite.

jaclaz

Many thanks, jaclaz and MrCobra, your advice worked beautifully - in that I now have a bootable Windows XP disc with SP3, latested hotfixes and required drivers. I just need to get VMWare Player to install without messing up my network drivers (or the nvidia firewall) so I can properly test.

Once again thank you for your help.

Just to conclude this, I installed VirtualPC and was able to test my slipstreamed-super-duper Windows XP creation. It worked perfectly and I have to say how impressed I am with the virtual environment. Thank you again, guys.

Regards,

Mike

okaaaaayyyyyy ..........

and by that I mean I've not yet got over my astonishment of virtualisation - perhaps it sounds naive to you smart guys but I'm just so impressed at being able to create a world within a world. It feels like the Matrix to me. :D

So as I experiment I might just try Virtualbox but for now I'll simply wallow in the splendour of learning something new I knew nothing about 48 hours ago. :thumbup

Cheers,

Mike

okaaaaayyyyyy ..........

and by that I mean I've not yet got over my astonishment of virtualisation - perhaps it sounds naive to you smart guys but I'm just so impressed at being able to create a world within a world. It feels like the Matrix to me. :D

So as I experiment I might just try Virtualbox but for now I'll simply wallow in the splendour of learning something new I knew nothing about 48 hours ago. :thumbup

Cheers,

Mike

I'd definitely go with VirtualBox over VirtualPC anyday. Not only is it faster, none of the services or networking components gets loaded until the program is executed and they go away when the program ends.