windows 3.11 office prod.

cubbettee

Good Day listers,

I had redone my 486 machine running dos 6.22 and win 3.11 machine with the floppies i had in house, but I forgot one thing. I do not have any that would give me a "spreadsheet" or "word" document. Does anybody know of any freeware that I might be able to download that would work under windows 3.11. From this web page, I discover a powerpoint and and word viewer.

Thanks in advance

Edited by cubbettee

WeEvil:

Actually yes, I spent quite a lot of time looking for old versions of programs that can run on win 311

using many search enginees--yahoo, alta vista, dogpile, go, etc just to name a few, and yes i keep wide parameter to that I do get millions of hits coming up no matter how bizarre they might be. This applies to all subjects that I search for

:}

AFAIK, No freeware, I'm afraid (could be wrong)...

Best bet is to find someone who will sell you their ORIGINAL (as they are still copyrighted/licensed) MS-Office 4.x (specifically, 4.2/4.3), MS-Works (v2/v3?), Corel WordPerfect 5.6 (or v6/6.1?), WordStar v7 (dunno about the version or whether it can handle .DOC documents; probably not).

Be aware that these store older formats and (probably) won't open newer format documents.

Notepad and Write are supplied with Windows 3.x (text, .WRI, and Rich Text, afaik).

www.simtel.net has a couple of free editors (not ".DOC"?) you might try.

Also try eBay (duh!) to buy one.

HTH, and good luck!

AFAIK, in the good ol' times all spreadshhets/office suites were Commercial.

I think the first "Freeware" one (Limited - you could later buy an addition for something like 50 bucks) was 602 Pro PC Suite 2000.

Though it was developed and targeted for win9x, it may work :unsure: under Win31 with Win32S, cannot say.

With a bit of "fantasy" and patience it can still be retrieved from some public sitea, Google for "pcs2k.exe".

A good place to "peek" around is cdtextfiles.com, google for:

site:cd.textfiles.com spreadsheet

thought I think you will only find shareware, there may be something that has no "timeout", or that maybe the Author has released some time later as Public Domain, some of the "good guys" of the Win 3.x era did that....

Cannot say if Sphigmic is (or can be "convinced" into) working on 3.x:

http://www.ds.unifi.it/~stefanin/AGR_2001/SH/sssheet.htm

THis is a "pure" java one:

http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/sharptools/

:w00t:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

If you can't buy it and its no longer supported, then its abandoware.

You might be able to find a free copy of Office 5 if you search the net on abandonware sites. Beware the legality issues, its kind of a gray area.

BTW, wouldn't selling your software be a breach of the licensing agreement between the user and the software maker?