making custom packages is what tweaking any software setup is all about.
I think the usual method is to simply create a sfx-archive with your favorite archiver, which I really dont like as I want packages that give me a nice visible setup when double clicked, with the option to make it unattended.
Inspired by this post I set out to find a newer version of this sfx, and preferably in english since that one has some turkish resources in it - and find it I did:
- subdirs in archive
- parameter passed to default action/command
- no config file clutter, very 3rd party unpacker friendly
- not signed like IExpress packages, i.e. some archivers may be able to modify it
- command must be an exefile without parameters
- can't override default command with something else
- no fancy icon, in fact no icon whatsoever
Make your own:
- Compress your files
cabarc -m LZX:21 -p -r N ..\outfile.cab *.*
stub only works with LZX compression
- Flag the executable
open outfile.cab in a hex editor and edit the cab header for your executable like this:
20 00 setup.exe => 60 00 setup.exe
all other files should have a 20 00 flag - if not, use cabarc and not a 3rd party archiver
- Build the sfx
copy /b sfxcab.exe + outfile.cab outfile.exe
If you only have an MSI, use setupbld.exe from WIX 3.0+ to convert it to exe.
Find other "Self-Extracting Cabinet" stubs:
The attached stub is taken from the english IE7 setup, the cab-data starts at the 3rd occurrence of "MSCF".
Number of downloads: 40
This post has been edited by floko84: 02 December 2008 - 05:50 AM