Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Is vlite dead?

- - - - -

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Is vlite dead? (67 member(s) have cast votes)

Is vlite Dead?

1. Yes (28 votes [41.79%])

Percentage of vote: 41.79%

2. No (24 votes [35.82%])

Percentage of vote: 35.82%

3. I don,t know (15 votes [22.39%])

Percentage of vote: 22.39%

Vote

JatinBeniwal

JatinBeniwal

• PipPip
  • 167 posts
Is vlite dead or in hibernation as there is no new posts from nuhi in his hompage vlite.net for last 3 months

Please Vote

Edited by JatinBeniwal, 06 December 2008 - 10:52 PM.

Jatin Beniwal

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

TheSickman

TheSickman

Junior

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Is vlite dead or in hibernation as there is no new posts from nuhi in his hompage vlite.net for last 3 months

I guess the Man is Busy

Kelsenellenelvian

Kelsenellenelvian

WPI Guru

• Developer
  • 8,800 posts
His profile says "On vacation" Maybe he got tired of the "When is the next version comming out?" posts...

oskingen

oskingen

MSFN Friend

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

His profile says "On vacation" Maybe he got tired of the "When is the next version comming out?" posts...

:thumbup :thumbup

ekos8

ekos8

• 20 posts
It's always possible he moved on to other things.

AlbertS2

AlbertS2

• 14 posts
Maybe he has a real live and that is more imortant for him.

Octopuss

Octopuss

I am the walrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Donator

In order to get some information you need to increase the font size, turn it in red and add something like "!!!!!!!111" at the end.

PabloW

PabloW

• 28 posts

It's always possible he moved on to other things.

It would still be more than polite to give heads up if the development is halted for longer period or ended. There are a *lot* of people checking for new version every day.

puntoMX

puntoMX

n00b of Masters and Vice Versa

• Super Moderator
  • 4,848 posts

No, it´s not that, it´s the: "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics... Just reinstall with the original disk ;).

PC_LOAD_LETTER

PC_LOAD_LETTER

Well, I stole something else

• Super Moderator
  • 1,829 posts

No, it´s not that, it´s the: "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics... Just reinstall with the original disk ;).

Heck, thats driving ME crazy and I'm not even reading them anymore. I cant imagine the crap nuhi has to put up with.

if its not the "How do I get things back, HHHEEEELLLPPP!!!" topics that drove him away it was probably the "HHHEEEELLLPPP!!! I downloaded Windows XP SuperCoolEiteWarezInternalMicrosoftEmployeesOnly Edition and it says you made it and now its broke!" emails. "On Vacation" might just be a euphemism for "Locked up in a straight jacket for for planning the elaborate execution of a warez kiddie"

yoke9

yoke9

• 19 posts
well i do think it is dead.
Original goal of vlite is to reduce and speed up Vista
but in my humble opinion and by reading all posts since long time
it seem that it is not really working as well as it worked for XP.
The winsxs folder keep installs big and many many compatibility problems
sprout from everywhere as time go by.
I remember an insolent member who started a topic about fitting vista on a floppy .
This made me laugh a lot but i do think he was not far from the truth.

my two cents :}

redxii

redxii

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
vLite can help, but in the end there is only so much that can be done and Vista will never be as fast as XP. I wanted to watch a video on Hulu.com and it skipped and stuttered on 480p video to no end on Vista (w/ DWM/Aero Glass disabled and using Windows Standard theme). So I ditched it again for the n'th time and put XP back on. XP plays as smooth as butter even on 720p... and I don't even use nLite at all. I will give SP2 a try when it is finished but it'll probably still be disappointing.

Then again if you have a really, really high-end system with like 20 cores and a petabyte of RAM you probably wouldn't notice the massive increase in Vista's overhead and losing a few of your 100000 frames per second.

Edited by redxii, 06 December 2008 - 03:48 AM.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts

vLite can help, but in the end there is only so much that can be done and Vista will never be as fast as XP. I wanted to watch a video on Hulu.com and it skipped and stuttered on 480p video to no end on Vista (w/ DWM/Aero Glass disabled and using Windows Standard theme). So I ditched it again for the n'th time and put XP back on. XP plays as smooth as butter even on 720p... and I don't even use nLite at all. I will give SP2 a try when it is finished but it'll probably still be disappointing.

Note that this would have less to do with Vista and more to do with the video driver, unless you were using 1GB or less of RAM (in which case the behavior you state would be something I would expect with 1GB or less of RAM - only Home Basic has a minimum requirement of 512MB of RAM, and all other versions state 1GB, and running "minimum" requirments gets you "minimum" performance).

People tend to complain about Vista being "slow" on 512MB or 1GB RAM machines compared to XP, and that is true - but one has to remember that the XP codebase is much closer to the original NT codebase than Vista is, has fewer features (yes, these do use resources), and the code is 8 - 9 years old in most cases - it is leaner, and runs faster (it's also less secure and has fewer features, but that's the trade-off). That versus Vista's codebase, which is circa 2005/2006 code (and it could be argued Vista SP1 is the "real" Vista, circa 2007/2008). Regardless of how you feel about it, running Vista on an older CPU with less than 2GB of RAM *will* likely end in frustration.
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

Steve30x

Steve30x

• 22 posts
I have been wondering if VLite is dead also. I got SP2 for vista and would like to integrate into my install disk but im not sure if it work. I am just wondering how much more can the guy do. aybe if he got fedup of programming NLite and VLite he could pass on the source code to an experienced programmer to continue on his projects.

apollyon0810

apollyon0810
  • 1 posts

well i do think it is dead.
Original goal of vlite is to reduce and speed up Vista
but in my humble opinion and by reading all posts since long time
it seem that it is not really working as well as it worked for XP.
The winsxs folder keep installs big and many many compatibility problems
sprout from everywhere as time go by.
I remember an insolent member who started a topic about fitting vista on a floppy .
This made me laugh a lot but i do think he was not far from the truth.

my two cents :}

LOL WUT

Anywho. I've never had any problems using a vLite'd Vista. I used this little trick where I didn't remove anything I need. Works great!

What would a newer version provide? Is a new service pack out?

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,385 posts

In order to get some information you need to increase the font size, turn it in red and add something like "!!!!!!!111" at the end.

Careful when you suggest something :ph34r: , your advice has been actually taken into account (but he forgot the "!!!!!!!111", so no way he'll get the info). ;)

jaclaz

redxii

redxii

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
My Hulu.com-OnlyinVista-skipping machine is a Turion X2 TL-56, 2GB of RAM and a GF Go 6150 w/ 128MB of RAM. It came with Vista. The newest signed driver for it is 167.43, compared to 86.38 in XP. Vista has plenty of free RAM to work with there is no excuse.

Edited by redxii, 06 December 2008 - 01:49 PM.

CoffeeFiend

CoffeeFiend

Coffee Aficionado

• Super Moderator
  • 5,399 posts
Must be something with your drivers or config... My 1 year old E2160 (even with 2GB) plays H.264 (unrestricted profile) @ 1080p @ any bitrate, with 5.1 sound and all no problems. No choppyness or anything ever, and that's with all the decoding done in software (no fancy vid card with AVIVO or anything like that -- a crappy low end GeForce POS). There's just no reason for your box not to handle DVD quality stuff, when lots of people got that working on P3's, and the problem isn't Vista by itself.
Coffee: \ˈkȯ-fē, ˈkä-\. noun. Heaven in a cup. Life's only treasure. The meaning of life. Kaffee ist wunderbar. C8H10N4O2 FTW.

Randomness

Randomness

• 26 posts
I only wish Nuhi could have fixed the loop issue after slipstreaming SP1. Otherwise it is a very useful program.:)

Steve30x

Steve30x

• 22 posts

I only wish Nuhi could have fixed the loop issue after slipstreaming SP1. Otherwise it is a very useful program.:)

Ive integrated SP1 into Vista and I dont have any problems. Maybe you done something wrong?

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

So... :rolleyes: When is the next version comming out? :thumbup

It was fixed.Problably problem in your end

jkey

jkey

Totally nLited

• Pip
  • 78 posts
WOW! SOMEBODY DELETED MY POST HERE! WTF??? :thumbdown :thumbdown :thumbdown
Always Outnumbered, never Outguned :)

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,252 posts

8. Has the thread you started or participated in been moved, closed or deleted? Check with the forum moderator via PM. Under no circumstances start threads asking why other threads were moderated. Forum moderation is not up for public debate, such threads will be deleted and the thread starter warned. MSFN reserves the right to edit, delete or move posts made on this site.

MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

aviv00

aviv00

Windowaizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
i think nuhi would make declaration about it

but he might thinking about closing it

anyway i don't think he will close those big projects
:blink:

he got nice prime here
:)

Edited by aviv00, 13 December 2008 - 12:46 PM.

boooggy

boooggy

MSFN Master

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
vlite is not dead
as everybody can see vlite.net is still alive

nuhi is busy, development paused but projects work fine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN