Windows Explorer drive letter view/description change

Dechy

Hi,

to put things in context, we've just recently changed the way the drives are showed using the "ShowDriveLetterFirst" registry hack and put the drive letter in front of the description... a change that nearly all our 26000 users were finally happy to see. It used to be description before drive letters, but our network admins suck at giving good descriptions (or ANY description at all) and it was hell in something like the Office suite when using the drop down menu to navigate to other folders/drive letters as you woulnd't see the drive letter.

Now... my problem is the 0.1% population with disabilities that use screen readers, seems the ( in front now is creating problems... obviously, 25950 happy users > 50 unhappy users, but with the friggin "duty to accomodate" policy we got for them, this could potentially mean reverting a much wanted change.

Before I go and try a 1000 different things with them & screen readers, etc... does anybody know if it's possible to get rid of the parentheses () around the drive letter and just leave spaces? I haven't found anything, but it's something that's hard to put in words for a good search.

I doubt there is, but it's worth a shot.

Thanks.

Before I go and try a 1000 different things with them & screen readers, etc... does anybody know if it's possible to get rid of the parentheses () around the drive letter and just leave spaces? I haven't found anything, but it's something that's hard to put in words for a good search.

Dont think you will find anything, though I would suspect "resource hacking" (DLL and system file modifications) would be required and I doubt you want modified system files in your environment to accomodate your policy.

You can remove the parentheses, but as mentioned above, it would require editing the resource string table in a core Windows system file (SHELL32.DLL). That's probably not a good idea in your situation, but if you're interested anyway, I can point you to what requires editing in SHELL32.DLL.