Removing components from Windows 98?

marxo

Due to my first PC dying on me, I'm now running Windows 98 as my main and only OS on my PC. I was snooping through my HDD (Windows folder, etc) and knowing that many 16-bit applications from Windows 3.1x are left in Windows 98 I was going to see which ones, and how many. Also, the setup of Windows 98 is full with components which nowadays no one uses. Another thing was that there were many old components that weren't anywhere, neither in the Start Menu, nor associated with any files, nor referenced in Help (which is, again, not used daily by me, nor anyone else I know).

My question is: Which components would you remove from an installed Windows 98, what do you need and it isn't there and are there any components that are there but need to be modify or promoted to be used daily.

List of components I would remove:

• Web TV for Windows - I would remove it since I haven't seen anyone using it.
  • Taskman - This one is just a Win3.1x version of Task Manager, it's not really needed in Windows 98, especially if you already use some modifications and Taskmgr alternatives.
  • WinPopup - This is a great application for communication in your LAN, but I haven't seen it anywhere in the UI (Start Menu and rest), it probably just needs to be promoted, I would like to hear what you think about this one.
  • Clipboard Viewer - This one really does the job, but I don't know how this one is used ever, I mean, why would you use this one. It's 16-bit and it probably needs to be replaced by something newer and maybe more advance.
  • Online Services - These definitely need to be removed. I hate that stuff, that's so middle ages. Also, if anyone missed that, if you have MSN shortcut on your desktop, it will always launch it before Internet Explorer.
  • Desktop Themes - These are also unnecessary, I mean, how does really use those themes from the 90es?
  • CD Player - This one is interesting. If I knew that I will need to play an audio CD on a default installation without a 3rd party application, I would probably leave it be. But what are the odds for that?
  • Imaging - These are from Kodak I guess. No one uses that (at least I think that no one does). It's pretty easy to obtain an alternative for that.
  • Hyperterminal - I was thinking that it should be removed, but I heard that some still use it. Anyone using this one, and what do you think about that being removed.
  • Microsoft Chat 2.1 - I would discuss much about this, no one uses that.
  • Microsoft NetMeeting - Same as the one above. With all these new services like Windows Messenger, Skype and the rest, why would anyone need this antique.
  • Phone Dialer - I'm really not sure if this has any purpose anymore. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • PROGMAN - Is this one really necessary? It's also from Windows 3.x.
  • WJView and JView - Java loaders. Does anyone use this?
  • WinFile (File Manager) - Another Windows 3.1x leftover. Can this one be removed?
  • Welcome Center - This old Welcome Center already has an alternative. But on a default install, no one uses it more then once.
  • Windows Report Tool - Anyone wants to report a bug from Windows 98?
  • Hardware Info Tool - I can't even run this thing. Anyone using it?
  • Object Packager - Another legacy from Windows 3, should be removed, I can't remember that I know what this is for.
  • Loaders - Paintbrush, Write and other loaders for existing application.
  • Desktop "Wallpapers" - They are actually patterns. Those were ugly even when Windows 98 came out.
  • Telnet - Useful to users running a Telnet server or accessing routers/modems/switches.
  • winipcfg32 - It has a suitable replacement in Windows 98, left from Windows 3.1.
  • Tour98 - Needs to be removed.
  • Sound Recorder - It should be modified so people can record more.
  • Maintenance Wizard - Needs to be reorganized.

• Drive Space - It should be removed because it 21st century and if someone is still using Windows 98, he's using FAT32.
  • Internat - I don't know if this one can be replaced, but if it's possible then it could be done a lot better.
  • Screensavers - Should be removed because they are ancient.
  • Personal Web Server - For anyone that wants a server, something like Apache is better.
  • Microsoft Wallet - Hmm. Let's see. Out!

This list was formed only by my criteria and my daily Windows 98 Second Edition experience. There are also many more Windows 3.x leftovers, it would take some time to write them all down.

So, besides these, would you add some more? Are there any that you would leave, any that you use? Are there any that should be modified? I would personally add Windows Movie Maker, which could be added because it isn't vast in size, and maybe instead of trying to find an alternative for Notepad we should leave Notepad as simple as it can be, and instead of Wordpad integrate an alternative that would be good for both scripting and formatted (Word) documents.

Let me hear your opinion...

Microsoft Reference: Components in Windows 98

Legend:

Components that should be removed.

Components that are still being used by most of users.

Components that need rewriting, modifying, replacing or updating.

Edited by marxo

I use the clipboard viewer quite heavily, partly because I also use Splinterware's multiple clipboard utility, Clipboards. I don't remember if there was an existing shortcut to it in \Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools or if I added it, but I use it enough that I also made a keyboard shortcut for it. It's too easy to forget which clipboard I'm using to store which item. The viewer and the keyboard shortcut gives me a quick way to check.

I do occasionally use the CD player on those rare occasions I listen to a CD on the PC. Don't remember why I chose to use it instead of playing them through WinAmp.

The themes were kinda fun when I first got the PC, especially the sound effects, but definitely not useful. All they do is slow it down.

TaskMan might be useful if the user has a problem with Explorer. Might be worth keeping as a backup but that's about it.

I'm not sure how useful the phone dialer and hyperterminal are. I haven't used them. I've thought about using the PC as an answering machine and as another phone but haven't got to it. I don't know if the phone dialer would be needed for this so I haven't removed it.

Notepad is handy for quick little editing jobs and is small enough to justify keeping it.

I use wordpad occasionally, mainly because it's handy. The one that I'd question is write.exe. It's only 20KB but doesn't seem to be anything more than a glorified shortcut to wordpad. Does it do anything else?

Everything else you listed can go. I removed all of them from my systems except on a couple of test images.

Rick

I use the clipboard viewer quite heavily, partly because I also use Splinterware's multiple clipboard utility, Clipboards. I don't remember if there was an existing shortcut to it in \Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools or if I added it, but I use it enough that I also made a keyboard shortcut for it. It's too easy to forget which clipboard I'm using to store which item. The viewer and the keyboard shortcut gives me a quick way to check.

I do occasionally use the CD player on those rare occasions I listen to a CD on the PC. Don't remember why I chose to use it instead of playing them through WinAmp.

The themes were kinda fun when I first got the PC, especially the sound effects, but definitely not useful. All they do is slow it down.

TaskMan might be useful if the user has a problem with Explorer. Might be worth keeping as a backup but that's about it.

I'm not sure how useful the phone dialer and hyperterminal are. I haven't used them. I've thought about using the PC as an answering machine and as another phone but haven't got to it. I don't know if the phone dialer would be needed for this so I haven't removed it.

Notepad is handy for quick little editing jobs and is small enough to justify keeping it.

I use wordpad occasionally, mainly because it's handy. The one that I'd question is write.exe. It's only 20KB but doesn't seem to be anything more than a glorified shortcut to wordpad. Does it do anything else?

Everything else you listed can go. I removed all of them from my systems except on a couple of test images.

Rick

I just tried the program you mentioned and I now see how it works. An alternative (possibly a rewritten) would be good.

In a situation where Windows Media Player is installed, CD Player is not needed. Media Player loads Audio Player. I find CD Player... let's just say that it can be way better.

I'm talking about the TaskMan from Windows 3.x:

taskmancj6.png

This one doesn't do anything, you have the Task Manager.

Notepad should definitely stay, while Write is just a loader for Wordpad and I guess it can be removed.

Also, added to list:

• PROGMAN
  • WJView and JView
  • WinFile (File Manager)
  • Welcome Center
  • Windows Report Tool
  • Hardware Info Tool
  • Object Packager
  • Paintbrush and Write
  • Desktop Pattern Wallpapers

Edited by marxo

You can start and terminate applications from taskman.exe from the menu, although I don't see why someone would use it unless explorer was completely non-functional.

Paintbrush is just a shortcut to paint as far as I can tell, just like write is to wordpad.

Program. That brings back some memories. Might be useful to someone who wants an extra light shell.

Packager works with Wordpad for inserting certain types of objects. I've never used it.

I believe JVIEW and WJVIEW are part of Java. No idea what you'd use them for.

The hardware info tool can be handy. Go to Run and type "hwinfo /ui". It gives quite a bit of info on the system.

WinFile is better than Explorer for organizing files. The split interface is handy. I used to use it but now I prefer to use NDN.

The Windows Report tool might be useful to some program testers. I've never used it. .

Welcome should delete itself after the first use.

Rick

I just tried the program you mentioned and I now see how it works. An alternative (possibly a rewritten) would be good.

I'd like to see an improved clipboard viewer. I can think of several features that would be useful.

The ability to select part of the clipboards contents instead of pasting all of it.

The ability to permanently store commonly pasted items. The data would remain after a reboot.

Multiple clipboards built in instead of requiring a separate application.

The ability to paste a set of locations, such as the individual blocks where you enter IP addresses in network connections.

I'm probably wanting too much already.

You can start and terminate applications from taskman.exe from the menu, although I don't see why someone would use it unless explorer was completely non-functional.

Paintbrush is just a shortcut to paint as far as I can tell, just like write is to wordpad.

Program. That brings back some memories. Might be useful to someone who wants an extra light shell.

Packager works with Wordpad for inserting certain types of objects. I've never used it.

I believe JVIEW and WJVIEW are part of Java. No idea what you'd use them for.

The hardware info tool can be handy. Go to Run and type "hwinfo /ui". It gives quite a bit of info on the system.

WinFile is better than Explorer for organizing files. The split interface is handy. I used to use it but now I prefer to use NDN.

The Windows Report tool might be useful to some program testers. I've never used it. .

Welcome should delete itself after the first use.

Rick

I'd like to see an improved clipboard viewer. I can think of several features that would be useful.

The ability to select part of the clipboards contents instead of pasting all of it.

The ability to permanently store commonly pasted items. The data would remain after a reboot.

Multiple clipboards built in instead of requiring a separate application.

The ability to paste a set of locations, such as the individual blocks where you enter IP addresses in network connections.

I'm probably wanting too much already.

But is Progman needed on a default install. I don't think that someone that uses Windows Explorer, uses Program Manager too.

I guess that with a bit promoting, a shortcut or two and a bit graphical touch up hwinfo can be really good. It's far better than the "System Information Tool" and this one is in the Start Menu, but has far less options.

WinFile is good, but regular users prefer TotalCMD or something like that over a Windows 3.1x shell.

The Windows Report tool is used to report bugs from the system to Microsoft. I don't think that they receive those anymore.

Welcome Center. I can't imagine why that should stay after the first boot, unless it's update with some real information.

I'm just not sure about the Packager. Is it necessary for WordPad to work?

I would also like a Clipboard Viewer like that, it couldn't hurt to remember after reset. I figure that it wouldn't be too hard to write something like that.

In a situation where Windows Media Player is installed, CD Player is not needed. Media Player loads Audio Player. I find CD Player... let's just say that it can be way better.

I usually keep the Cdplayer.* files around because it does have one distinct advantage over all others: it is primarily analog.

The WMP / Media Player and most clones are completely digital in this sense: the audio on the CD is sent to the computer digitally through the IDE ribbon cable and then decoded via codecs (and this is before it is sent to the mixer and/or has any effects applied). This process is completely CPU driven and in some circumstances become a burden. If you have tied up the CPU doing something also massively CPU intensive (e.g., rendering an MPEG DVD file), well, depending on priorities the audio will likely suffer.

The old Cdplayer accepts the audio as an analog signal that comes down those little two-conductor wires (one end in CD analog out, the other to the soundcard or mobo analog in). This audio is actually decoded by the CD/DVD drive itself (it is why you can also plug headphones directly into most CD/DVD drives). The rest of the process is similar as it routes it to the mixer as well, but this step, from CD media to sound costs the CPU virtually nada. Consequently the Cdplayer can be used while almost anything is simultaneously being done on the computer.

Of course, the best solution is to have a standalone killer audio system with lots of watts driving decent speakers nearby!

I wouldnt like hyperterminal being removed as soon as its not there ill need it, mainly I use Hyperterminal for data transfer over serial cable when I havent installed any drivers also I would use Hyperterminal if i was using a serial connection to a cisco switch or something although perhaps hyperterminal could be replaced or improved in some way perhaps so it is more like telnet but used with the serial interface rather then the network interface like telnet is

Not what you asked, but first thing I replace on ANY Windows, is NOTEPAD.

Some alternatives are listed here:

http://techrageo.us/2007/01/06/text-editors-for-windows/

TheGUN:

http://www.movsd.com/thegun.htm

is first choice.

jaclaz

I wouldnt like hyperterminal being removed as soon as its not there ill need it, mainly I use Hyperterminal for data transfer over serial cable when I havent installed any drivers also I would use Hyperterminal if i was using a serial connection to a cisco switch or something although perhaps hyperterminal could be replaced or improved in some way perhaps so it is more like telnet but used with the serial interface rather then the network interface like telnet is

Now that you mentioned Notepad. In Windows Lupus Project I use modified Notepad which has shortcuts from Windows XP Notepad and it can open <60kb files, actually it should automatically loads TheGUN for those files (I didn't include TheGUN). I know it's only my personal opinion, but I really like the default Notepad over some alternatives. I'm just guessing that it would be good if it didn't have those limits.

I know that you use Hyperterminal bro, but Hyperterminal on Windows 98 is outdated and AFAIK the Windows XP version works fine on Windows 98, since it's just bought by Microsoft. An update couldn't hurt right?

As for the CD Player, I agree that it's different from WMP, but WMP takes over the association by default on install doesn't it? I just don't like the interface, but it's clearly better to do it analog.

Regarding the windows report tool, it saves the collected info to cab files. When HWinfo is run without the /ui switch, it also saves the data to file, hwinfo.dat in the windows folder. Both of these can be opened with MSInfo. The data they collect can be sent to whoever needs it and opened with MSInfo on their system. Between them, they collect a lot of data that could be very useful for debugging and beta testing.

I still use Notepad for little jobs like a quick edit on a batch file or saving text to file. For bigger jobs, I usually use Notepad+, HIEW, or one of several hex editors I need to choose between. Too many installed.

I don't know if program.exe is used during the install process or during any normal activity. I was working on stripping down a 98lite install even more as part of another project but haven't had the time to get back to it. Computer projects for me are just like real life. Every year I give myself 2 years worth of projects to do and never get them completely done.

From one of my favorite songs

How can we do what must be done in just one, short life?

Charlotte spelled out the reason for staying with the CD player that I couldn't remember. Quite often I have music playing when I'm working on a project. Some of those projects have caused blue screens or have frozen the system, but the CD keeps playing. :thumbup

I ran a patch cable from the sound card output to the auxiliary input on the stereo. It's not exactly a killer audio system but it's far better than what you get from the average sound card. Makes it easy to play my MP3 collection thru decent speakers instead of those little things. It also lets me convert my tapes and old albums to MP3s or burn them to CDs.

Rick

I Dont think Hyperterminal was bought by Microsoft, I think it was just licenced by them or something.

A decent alternative might be something like interlnk and intersvr because they are command line and provide all the functionality you would need for data transfer however you could not telnet into something like a cisco switch, it is just for data transfer over serial cable and also only works in DOS AFAIK,

because you have to put DEVICE=C:\DOS\INTERLNK.EXE into config sys for it to work.

Should this become a complete list of components in 98? or just a list of components to remove from it?

Edited by awergh