Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleepydvdr

question if this is appropriate

4 posts in this topic

I see the big "last warning" banner above talking about not posting anything not appropriate. I don't want to cause trouble, so I want to ask to make sure.

I have found quite a few nice freeware screensavers from www.freewarefiles.com that are just .scr screensavers - no installer. Can I compile them into one installer to make them for an nLite addon? I can post their origins so people can verify they are freeware and give credit to the authors. And I'm not decompiling anything. I just want to group them together.

Would that abide by the rules?

If the files are hosted in public domain on the site, then yes. If the files are not public domain, I would advise against it. A lot of times the freeware sites host "free" applications but are still owned/maintained (for free, of course) by people and do control distribution (free in use, but not in ownership) If that is the case, you should get their permission first.

but why bothering to put them together? you can intagrate them directly...

but why bothering to put them together? you can intagrate them directly...

That is a good point. I have directly integrated files into an XP CD before. However, I can think of two reasons why this project would be beneficial: 1) it is much easier to add an addon with nLite; and 2) you have a great compression ratio with this installer.

However, the thread where I posted my screensaver pack is now locked because I did not realize that four of the screensavers were ported from Vista. I was unaware of this fact because I have barely even used Vista (I only played around with it for less than an hour and I was not impressed). I found those screensavers on a freeware website and the link to the 'creator' was to joejoe.org.

Anyways, I walk away from this with a good bit more knowledge on how to create Inno Setup installers with selectable components, which I couldn't do before. I'm glad I learned this skill because I think it will help me make better installers in the future.

That's all I have to say.

Peace.