Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

James_patageul

Install Ubuntu after WinSetupFromUSB on your USB

Hi people,

i have create a USB with WinSetupFromUSB 0.1.1, who all ready contain:

Windows XP installation, UBCD, UBCD4WIN, AcronisTrueimage,

2f6a64380cd136317c465cfe15d9947f.jpg

So now i will adding to my key Ubuntu 8.10 ubuntu.png

i need some help for the begining then i will post here a complet step by step tutorial how to do it...

Edited by James_patageul

OK the first step is to download and extract the *.iso to a foler (i will name this folder "UB-extracted")

then (after what i see on many forum & website) is to COPY all files inside "isolinux" to the root of UB-extracted

why copy directly to root ? can we not point in futur step to "isolinux" folder ?

----

Then rename isolinux.cfg into syslinux.cfg

then edit text.cfg

remove all line, and put this

default live
label live
menu label ^Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
label live-install
menu label ^Install Ubuntu
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
label check
menu label ^Check CD for defects
kernel /casper/vmlinuz
append boot=casper integrity-check initrd=/casper/initrd.gz quiet splash --
label memtest
menu label Test ^memory
kernel /install/mt86plus
label hd
menu label ^Boot from first hard disk
localboot 0x80

------------

ok now (if all thing before is just (waiting confirmation))

you have just to move all files inside UB-extracted to the root of your USB device...

ok why not, but that will make a big mess in your root of your USB device :blink: , so can we not put those file inside of a folder ?

jaclaz    909

Why do you want to make it more difficult than needed? :unsure:

RE-read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=124169

Basically all you have to do is to translate isolinux.cfg contents into a grub4dos menu.lst entry.

The syntax is very similar, and there is an example by ilko_t on the given thread.

In other words, you already boot to grub4dos, grub4dos can boot directly a Linux kernel, thus introducing a level of complexity by loading another loader is unneeded.

jaclaz

Why do you want to make it more difficult than needed? :unsure:

i dont want to make it more difficult, i just want put ubuntu in a folder named ubuntu, because my root of my USB drive is already a mess. (is so difficult to put the ubuntu in a folder ?)

RE-read this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=124169

i read it again,

so the right code is this one -> ?

title INSTALL Ubuntu 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
initrd=/casper/initrd.gz

and where i must put it ? in isolinux.cfg, syslinux.cfg,menu.lst ? (i guess in menu.lst?) and where must be this file ? in the root ?

In other words, you already boot to grub4dos, grub4dos can boot directly a Linux kernel, thus introducing a level of complexity by loading another loader is unneeded.

ok great, and grub4dos is menu.lst, & syslinux that it ?

ok, now i have put this

title INSTALL Ubuntu 
root (hd0,0)
kernel /ubuntu/casper/vmlinuz file=/ubuntu/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
initrd=/ubuntu/casper/initrd.gz

in the menu.lst and this gave me this

First

bb1a48d477e68b2f6b5b19ff3bafbe26.jpg

Then

0b8127b026e0ca7cefea95f650235b57.jpg

any idea ?

ilko_t    3
...any idea ?

Yes- Ubuntu cannot find the big squashfs file (filesystem.squashfs), as it is not where is expected.

It's location perhaps could be passed as a kernel parameter, just an idea:

try boot=/ubuntu/casper or ask in ubuntu forums for the proper syntax, if possible at all.

initrd=/ubuntu/casper/initrd.gz is wrong. Should be initrd /ubuntu/casper/initrd.gz. Look at the examples given.