Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

IE8 RC1 won't integrate with nlite

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

ltsnow

ltsnow

• 26 posts
I tried to integrate IE8 RC1 with nlite and it said the integration failed. According to the updates for nlite IE8 beta 2 is supported. Is RC1 different?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,362 posts
ltsnow, I was going to give it a try, but could not find a copy. Where can I find a copy for XP x64? MS does not show RC1 at all and Google says MS says it will be out in January 09. I did see some sites that had XP copies. If it will not integrate, as you found, then I suspect only nuhi can help. I suggest you send him an e-mail (see nLite site) or a PM or both. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow

ltsnow

• 26 posts

ltsnow, I was going to give it a try, but could not find a copy. Where can I find a copy for XP x64? MS does not show RC1 at all and Google says MS says it will be out in January 09. I did see some sites that had XP copies. If it will not integrate, as you found, then I suspect only nuhi can help. I suggest you send him an e-mail (see nLite site) or a PM or both. Enjoy, John.

Yeh, I guess I'll have to.

Edited by ltsnow, 20 December 2008 - 12:14 PM.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

after Windows 7 GA still Vista lover :)

• Patrons
  • 5,918 posts

Donator

the RC1 is available for IE8 Testers on connect.microsoft.com
Posted Image

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
ltsnow, sorry, I don't know where.
Thanks, MagicAndre1981. I looked at the site and it appears that registration is required. I have more registrations than I need now and will wait to till MS makes it public. Enjoy, John.

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,918 posts

Donator

The Ie8 program is invite only, sorry.
Posted Image

ltsnow

ltsnow

• 26 posts
Now that we've established the availability does anyone know why is won't integrate?

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
ltsnow, I assumed that considering my response you knew I do not know why IE8 won't integrate. I think that IE7 also did not integrate until nuhi fixed nLite. I hope you have tried to contact him. I also assume you have tried it with nothing but SP3 and nothing else against a fresh copy of your source files/folders. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini for us to look at. I will post when I get a chance to try it on my x64 system. Enjoy, John.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
ltsnow, I found a copy to DL for x64 and tried it and it did not integrate for me either. I got a window with the switch options, then the error that the integration failed. I tried a direct integration and got the same switch option window, then it quit. I created a log file and got the log below.
00:00.000: ====================================================================
00:00.000: Started: 2009/01/10 (Y/M/D) 12:55:26.046 (local)
00:00.000: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.000: Command line: c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe  /integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine /log:c:\
00:00.000: INFO:	Checking version for c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe: 8.0.6001.18344
00:00.000: ERROR:   Invalid command line argument: '/integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine'
00:00.031: INFO:	Message to User: Run iesetup.exe /? for usage.
00:03.672: ERROR:   Failed to parse command line arguments -- 2nd pass.
00:03.672: ERROR:   Setup exit code: 0x00000004 (Invalid command line).
It looks like the /integrate switch is not valid. I suspect nLite is using the same method and is getting the same error. I have a couple more things to try and will let you know if I have any success. Let us hear if you solve the problem. I did install it on my VM and it installs and works fine. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow

ltsnow

• 26 posts

ltsnow, I found a copy to DL for x64 and tried it and it did not integrate for me either. I got a window with the switch options, then the error that the integration failed. I tried a direct integration and got the same switch option window, then it quit. I created a log file and got the log below.

00:00.000: ====================================================================
00:00.000: Started: 2009/01/10 (Y/M/D) 12:55:26.046 (local)
00:00.000: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.000: Command line: c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe  /integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine /log:c:\
00:00.000: INFO:	Checking version for c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe: 8.0.6001.18344
00:00.000: ERROR:   Invalid command line argument: '/integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine'
00:00.031: INFO:	Message to User: Run iesetup.exe /? for usage.
00:03.672: ERROR:   Failed to parse command line arguments -- 2nd pass.
00:03.672: ERROR:   Setup exit code: 0x00000004 (Invalid command line).
It looks like the /integrate switch is not valid. I suspect nLite is using the same method and is getting the same error. I have a couple more things to try and will let you know if I have any success. Let us hear if you solve the problem. I did install it on my VM and it installs and works fine. Enjoy, John.

No, John I have never figured it out. I ended up just installing IE8 after the XP installation. It really does work very well. Much better than the beta 2 version.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
I found the x64 version of IE8 RC1 here. It is very slow (about 16 kBS, 30 minutes) unless you pay. Enjoy, John.

meowing

meowing

XP64 is a joy forever

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
Isn't there a way to install it using a batch-file after install has finished, using the $OEM$ folder and putting the .bat deep under Allusers Startup folder? Like this:

\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat

To get the IE8 file you could put it on your install-image and find out the drive-letter using

FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\WIN51AP.SP2 (SET CDROM=%%I:& GOTO ISOFOUND)
:ISOFOUND

assuming the file WIN51AP.SP2 is in your XP x64 iso root. You can then call the IE8 installer using something like:

%CDROM%\SOMEDIR-ON-CD\IE8*x64*.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

And then let the batch-file kill itself in the end ;-) something like this:

powercfg -h off >Nul
sleep 5
shutdown.exe -r -f -t 11 -c "Restarting final time.."
attrib -R -A -S -H "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat"
del /S /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat"

Should work. Let me test this procedure and then I'll post the total batch-file I used if it is succesful.

Edited by meowing, 15 January 2009 - 04:22 PM.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
meowing, you should also be able to install out of the RunOnce in nLite, using the /Passive and /NoRestart switches. Have a look at this great tutorial, if you have not seen it. Enjoy, John.

meowing

meowing

XP64 is a joy forever

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
Yes, I know about Kurt's files. The problem with nlite's RunOnce is that it isn't done after the entire install has finished. For IE8 you'll probably need to have booted and have a fully running OS.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
meowing, that is exactly when Kurt_Aust's bat runs for me. I specify a user account and when it boots after installation, but before the theme and other things are set, the bat runs. I install several programs and they all work fine. I have not tried IE8, but I would just place it in the bat (updated to run the IE8 installer) and let'er rip. Enjoy, John.

meowing

meowing

XP64 is a joy forever

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
Kurt aims to make a lot of folders on a DVD size iso, and puts bat-files in the iso-root. I prefer a smaller iso with just a couple of files stacked away on it. Also, Kurt is more about a fully updated installer-release. The software he optionally ads in his batch files is updated so often it is quite insane to create installers with that software integrated. My approach on creating install-iso's is more of the remove as much nonsense as I can type ;-) and I prefer to just use the OS-inherent software.

Edited by meowing, 17 January 2009 - 06:36 AM.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
IE8 RC1 is now available from MS Download Center. It also does not integrate as the other RC1 versions we tried. The /integrate switch is missing. If someone is a member of the IE8 team (or what ever MS calls it), please report this problem (also the /log switch does not work). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I discovered I could call MS for free on IE8, so I did. They are to call me back. We'll have to see if anything comes of this. John.

Edited by johnhc, 27 January 2009 - 02:01 PM.

ltsnow

ltsnow

• 26 posts

IE8 RC1 is now available from MS Download Center. It also does not integrate as the other RC1 versions we tried. The /integrate switch is missing. If someone is a member of the IE8 team (or what ever MS calls it), please report this problem (also the /log switch does not work). Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I discovered I could call MS for free on IE8, so I did. They are to call me back. We'll have to see if anything comes of this. John.

Good going John. Keep us posted.

TranceEnergy

TranceEnergy

Friend of MSFN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
Nice work there john. Let's all cross fingers this can be resolved. Seeing as i can't uninstall the RC version, i might be able to install beta 2 over it, but i'd rather not. I have noticed some weird message that Internet explorer cannot download this page, when i am entering a console like services.msc. Which is just totally laugh. So for me it's very important to get the final asap, as its such an, obviously, integral part of the operating system.

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
I called MS again yesterday (Saturday, 1-31-09), since I had not heard from them. They said only that they would report my problems to the developers and would give no indication when we might see another release or updates. He kept saying to watch Windows Updates and the Download Center. Anyone can call them. I would rather not put the number here, but if you go to the DL center, find the Release Candidate DL page and look for the support message and click on it, it will lead you to a page of options. One option is free phone support and has the 866 number. Enjoy, John.

JohnnyMartins

JohnnyMartins
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, I have this problem too :wacko:
I was able to slipstream IE8b2 but no longer with more recent builds :realmad:

I'm afraid we won't get any luck on this.
Check out this video interview with the dev's representative:
http://edge.technet....nd-RC1-is-live/

Best of luck to all of us...

johnhc

johnhc

MSFN Junkie

• 3,362 posts
JohnnyMartins, thanks for an interesting video. For those interested in only the XP slipstream part, skip out to 14:30. Basically, IE8 will slipstream into VISTA, but not XP. Enjoy, John.

cluberti

cluberti

Gustatus similis pullus

• Supervisor
  • 11,247 posts
Right, because the underlying engine required to do so is only on Vista, not XP (update.exe on XP vs CBS on Vista).
MCTS Windows Internals, MCITP Server 2008 EA, MCTS MDT/BDD, MCSE/MCSA Server 2003, Server 2012, Windows 8
--------------------
Please read the rules before posting!
Please consider donating to MSFN to keep it up and running!

MagicAndre1981

MagicAndre1981

• Patrons
  • 5,918 posts

Donator

yeah, the CBS is really cool :wub: (un)Installing updates from an offline image is really cool. It would be perfect if I could install applications to an offline image :w00t: :w00t:
Posted Image

meowing

meowing

XP64 is a joy forever

• PipPip
  • 135 posts
Again, I succeeded just fine in installing IE8 unattended in XP x64, just using a batch-file that kills itself after auto-logon.
Put a .bat in $OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\ on the image.
In that .bat put something like this:
@ECHO OFF
FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\uniquefileinCDroot.txt (SET SOURCE=%%I:& GOTO DONECD)
ECHO.  
ECHO. Can't find the install CD, can you put it back in please?
ECHO. 
PAUSE
FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\uniquefileinCDroot.txt (SET SOURCE=%%I:& GOTO DONECD)
:DONECD
CLS
@ECHO OFF

ECHO.  Voila, installing the monster that is IE8

%SOURCE%\Your Folder On CD\IE8-WindowsServer2003-x64-ENU.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

SHUTDOWN /r /f /t 10 /c "Restarting 64-bit XP with IE8"
CLS
@ECHO OFF
ATTRIB -R -A -S -H "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\desktop.ini"
DEL /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\*.bat"

Edited by meowing, 06 February 2009 - 07:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN