IE8 RC1 won't integrate with nlite

ltsnow

ltsnow, I was going to give it a try, but could not find a copy. Where can I find a copy for XP x64? MS does not show RC1 at all and Google says MS says it will be out in January 09. I did see some sites that had XP copies. If it will not integrate, as you found, then I suspect only nuhi can help. I suggest you send him an e-mail (see nLite site) or a PM or both. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow, I was going to give it a try, but could not find a copy. Where can I find a copy for XP x64? MS does not show RC1 at all and Google says MS says it will be out in January 09. I did see some sites that had XP copies. If it will not integrate, as you found, then I suspect only nuhi can help. I suggest you send him an e-mail (see nLite site) or a PM or both. Enjoy, John.

Yeh, I guess I'll have to.

Edited by ltsnow

ltsnow, sorry, I don't know where.

Thanks, MagicAndre1981. I looked at the site and it appears that registration is required. I have more registrations than I need now and will wait to till MS makes it public. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow, I assumed that considering my response you knew I do not know why IE8 won't integrate. I think that IE7 also did not integrate until nuhi fixed nLite. I hope you have tried to contact him. I also assume you have tried it with nothing but SP3 and nothing else against a fresh copy of your source files/folders. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini for us to look at. I will post when I get a chance to try it on my x64 system. Enjoy, John.

• 3 weeks later...

ltsnow, I found a copy to DL for x64 and tried it and it did not integrate for me either. I got a window with the switch options, then the error that the integration failed. I tried a direct integration and got the same switch option window, then it quit. I created a log file and got the log below.

00:00.000: ====================================================================
00:00.000: Started: 2009/01/10 (Y/M/D) 12:55:26.046 (local)
00:00.000: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.000: Command line: c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe /integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine /log:c:\
00:00.000: INFO: Checking version for c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe: 8.0.6001.18344
00:00.000: ERROR: Invalid command line argument: '/integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine'
00:00.031: INFO: Message to User: Run iesetup.exe /? for usage.
00:03.672: ERROR: Failed to parse command line arguments -- 2nd pass.
00:03.672: ERROR: Setup exit code: 0x00000004 (Invalid command line).

It looks like the /integrate switch is not valid. I suspect nLite is using the same method and is getting the same error. I have a couple more things to try and will let you know if I have any success. Let us hear if you solve the problem. I did install it on my VM and it installs and works fine. Enjoy, John.

ltsnow, I found a copy to DL for x64 and tried it and it did not integrate for me either. I got a window with the switch options, then the error that the integration failed. I tried a direct integration and got the same switch option window, then it quit. I created a log file and got the log below.

00:00.000: ====================================================================
00:00.000: Started: 2009/01/10 (Y/M/D) 12:55:26.046 (local)
00:00.000: Time Format in this log: MM:ss.mmm (minutes:seconds.milliseconds)
00:00.000: Command line: c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe /integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine /log:c:\
00:00.000: INFO: Checking version for c:\231e703ecc5db09606cd1d24\update\iesetup.exe: 8.0.6001.18344
00:00.000: ERROR: Invalid command line argument: '/integrate:C:\Slipstream\New_Machine'
00:00.031: INFO: Message to User: Run iesetup.exe /? for usage.
00:03.672: ERROR: Failed to parse command line arguments -- 2nd pass.
00:03.672: ERROR: Setup exit code: 0x00000004 (Invalid command line).

It looks like the /integrate switch is not valid. I suspect nLite is using the same method and is getting the same error. I have a couple more things to try and will let you know if I have any success. Let us hear if you solve the problem. I did install it on my VM and it installs and works fine. Enjoy, John.

No, John I have never figured it out. I ended up just installing IE8 after the XP installation. It really does work very well. Much better than the beta 2 version.

Isn't there a way to install it using a batch-file after install has finished, using the $OEM$ folder and putting the .bat deep under Allusers Startup folder? Like this:

\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat

To get the IE8 file you could put it on your install-image and find out the drive-letter using

FOR %%I IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%I:\WIN51AP.SP2 (SET CDROM=%%I:& GOTO ISOFOUND)

:ISOFOUND

assuming the file WIN51AP.SP2 is in your XP x64 iso root. You can then call the IE8 installer using something like:

%CDROM%\SOMEDIR-ON-CD\IE8*x64*.exe /quiet /update-no /no-default /norestart

And then let the batch-file kill itself in the end ;-) something like this:

powercfg -h off >Nul

sleep 5

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 11 -c "Restarting final time.."

attrib -R -A -S -H "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat"

del /S /F /Q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\lastrun.bat"

Should work. Let me test this procedure and then I'll post the total batch-file I used if it is succesful.

Edited by meowing

meowing, that is exactly when Kurt_Aust's bat runs for me. I specify a user account and when it boots after installation, but before the theme and other things are set, the bat runs. I install several programs and they all work fine. I have not tried IE8, but I would just place it in the bat (updated to run the IE8 installer) and let'er rip. Enjoy, John.