Recording sound in XP

bstsimo

Hello everyone,

I'm having this problem which I had for a while which is that I can't record sound in my current windows :unsure:

I have checked all the output stuff, and everything is ok.

I also have the "SRS audio sandbox" but i dnt think it would be the cause of it.

My sound device is Realtek AC97.

When I uncheck the Mute option in the sound controller it comes back automatically...

Any idea about what's happening to me plz?

The Windows XP driver for the Realtek AC97 only provides volume controls. Look on the website of your system or motherboard manufacturer and see if they have a download with additional software to enable recording, tone control, etc.

a quick and easy way to record sound is to get a wire with 3mm jacks on either end and either use windows sound recorder or Audacity to record any output sound.

If you can use a microphone you can use this method. Just plug either end of the wire into the speaker hole (green usually) and the other end into either the microphone(pink) or the line-in(blue) hole. I prefer the microphone socket as audacity should be recording from that by default. Also gives you the option to save as mp3 in audacity.

Thanx guys for ur answers...

I thought i won't be so obvious in my post, cuz what I meant was that I can't get my voice in my computer for example in using Skype or audio conversations in MSN... It might be that the driver is out of date, but I was able to use it without any problems in XP SP2, and by the way am now using Media Center Edition 2008... :whistle::unsure:

Thanx guys for ur answers...

It might be that the driver is out of date, but I was able to use it without any problems in XP SP2,

It’s not the date of the driver that matters, it’s using the ones optimized for your motherboard. Check to see if Windows Update or the SP3 service pack installed the generic XP driver.

This is from the Realtek website:

“Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website.”

The same can be said of the drivers available on Windows Update for the AC 97 chip.