Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

XP processors...

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01
Are the XP processors really better for Windows XP? or is this just some bulls*** that they are better for XP then the normal processor, I was thinkin bout buyin a AMD 1.3ghz but for a lil more I got an XP processor. Is this really faster? better?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Micropocalypse

Micropocalypse

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Joined 07-September 01
its faster, but not for just winxp, for everything.
Posted Image
Read The Forum Rules

"Stop worrying about life on other planets, you haven't got one here."
Will this endless endlessness never end?

[I am a .sig virus. Please put me in your .sig so I can continue to replicate.]

Drewdatrip

Drewdatrip

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 2,185 posts
  • Joined 14-October 01
Ya...the Xp processers just have a higher clock speed. And are not optimized to Xp, to my knowledge.

-Drew
||Please Read the Forum Rules||
||Free File and Image Hosting @ EazyShare||
||Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running||
||Vote for MSFN @ TweakXP Windows XP Top Sites||

Blackwar

Blackwar

Your Worst Nightmare

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Joined 21-January 02
well,
they made the name XP to kinda represent that it is for XP, but it really means Xtra Performance..
u can look more in to this at http://athlonxp.amd.com

BLACKWAR

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01
Thanx yall, im goin for a XP 1800, Abit KR7A, 512 of Mushin DDR RAM 266mhz.

Reverend

Reverend

MSFN Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 13-January 02
You may find the site below useful if you have any problems with the Abit board.

http://www.viahardwa...nstallation.htm
Posted Image

Richie101

Richie101

• 23 posts
  • Joined 05-January 02
I've just built an AthlonXp1900 with the Abit Kr7a raid board
I would never buy another Intel:assshake

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01
Richie, what's the difference with the Raid and the NON-Raid ?

zErO

zErO

CareFactor zErO

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined 23-November 01
[b:80b1b187d3]ThA_FiLeR[/b:80b1b187d3] - A raid board has an extra IDE port which allows u the option of connecting more hard drives/ or IDE devices

[b:80b1b187d3] Richie101 [/b:80b1b187d3] - why wouldnt u go for another Intel proccessor???
MSN Status:

FthrJACK

FthrJACK

I am a PC...

• Patrons
  • 3,394 posts
  • Joined 16-August 01
one good reason for no more intel = £ $

ThA_FiLeR

ThA_FiLeR

--IM OUT

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts
  • Joined 24-August 01
G... mayb coz an AMD 1.33GHZ is just as fast or faster then a P4 2GHZ??? i wonder..

zErO

zErO

CareFactor zErO

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Joined 23-November 01
Xp processor uses the same chip core, code named Palomino which can be found in Athlon 4 notebook chips. It is supposed to use about 20% less power then the original Athlons and has 3DNow professional which adds 52 new 3D and multimedia instructions which makes it compatible with Intels SSE instructions.

They are definatly a much improved processor from the K6, and the only difference that I have noticed in my xp1800+ to the P4 1.7gig is that it is alot smoother and faster in gaming....but there is no difference between the two in speed to information to waiting applications.
Yes the AMD is alot cheaper, but I havent given up on Intel upping the anti, performance wise
MSN Status:

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
AMD not only clocks at much faster speeds than the comparable Intel chip but it is much cheaper. However, there is a much bigger thing that makes AMD attractive. In the past few years, if you wanted to go up in speed with the Intel chips, you had to get a new mobo...at least four different ones I think. Meanwhile, AMD has remained with the same socket A mobo since the release of Athlon.

Just a thought!

Rick:cool:
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Big Booger

Big Booger

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 12-January 02
Its like this, why would I buy a Ford Tempo( mini cooper for u brits), when I can afford a BMW? I mean you could probably tweak the ford Tempo (mini Cooper) to run just as fast or even faster than a BMW, but honestly folks, lets get real. Why accept an imitator, get the real deal, with intel.
Big Booger

Rollin' as I write this LOL
Posted Image

Reverend

Reverend

MSFN Member

• PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined 13-January 02
[quote:16f1d4f81a="Big Booger"]
Its like this, why would I buy a Ford Tempo( mini cooper for u brits), when I can afford a BMW? I mean you could probably tweak the ford Tempo (mini Cooper) to run just as fast or even faster than a BMW, but honestly folks, lets get real. Why accept an imitator, get the real deal, with intel.
Big Booger

Rollin' as I write this LOL [/quote:16f1d4f81a]

The mini cooper is made by BMW.:) :rolleyes:
Posted Image

Richie101

Richie101

• 23 posts
  • Joined 05-January 02
I have owned an Intel ever since the days of the P60.
I have owned P1,P2 AND P3 computers and for a change decided to risk all on an Athlon processor.To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement.I am not an expert on processors,but they say a picture says a thousand words

Conan

Conan

I'll be back!

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Joined 16-December 01
[quote:66093fda7f="Big Booger"]
Big Booger

Rollin' as I write this LOL [/quote:66093fda7f]

Nice one Boogs!:)
Images in signatures shall NOT exceed a total of 300x100 and 80kb.

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
No...no...no! You got it all wrong Boogs. Bad comparison. You are trying to say that AMD is a cheaper (in quality) chip. No way! The only reason that Intel has such expensive chips is because they were once the monopoly but believe me...their time is up! Just do some review reading! Go to tomshardware.com...you will see who makes the Beemer!

Rick:cool:
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Big Booger

Big Booger

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 12-January 02
I wanted to stir up some commotion about this issue. I really truly would have bought an AMD CPU, had it not been for the incredible deal I got. I got a 1.6MHZ P4, and mobo for around 200 bucks US. My local computer shop (in japan) ran a new year's special, and I took advantage of it. Though I did look at an XP 1800 & 1900 at least twice, with an ASUS MOBO, but the price was beyond what I was willing to pay.
I do think though that intel will always be around, as well as AMD. Much like Coke and Pepsi.
Big Booger
Posted Image

Blackwar

Blackwar

Your Worst Nightmare

• PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Joined 21-January 02
[quote:790f989249="Big Booger"]
I wanted to stir up some commotion about this issue. I really truly would have bought an AMD CPU, had it not been for the incredible deal I got. I got a 1.6MHZ P4, and mobo for around 200 bucks US. My local computer shop (in japan) ran a new year's special, and I took advantage of it. Though I did look at an XP 1800 & 1900 at least twice, with an ASUS MOBO, but the price was beyond what I was willing to pay.
I do think though that intel will always be around, as well as AMD. Much like Coke and Pepsi.
Big Booger [/quote:790f989249]

I definitely agree with boogs
especially on the last statement "I do think though that intel will always be around, as well as AMD. Much like Coke and Pepsi." very nice example, the exact situation :)
BLACKWAR

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Boogs! You make me sick! You get to go down to your local electronics store and get stuff that won't be out here for another year! LOL Did you read about the 1 terabyte cd/dvd disc that will be coming out in Japan soon? Check out the tech section

Rick:cool: :)
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

Big Booger

Big Booger

• PipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts
  • Joined 12-January 02
For example, my keitai,(cellphone) has broadband, MP3 downloading, a built in camera, and screensavers that are very kewl. It has over 300 ring tones, etc... They have some very L33t s*** here, but its all in Japanese. Luckily, they have made manuals in English and my phone can be changed to English. It is very nice.
I have not heard of this terabyte DVD/CD but I am very interested. I will check it out immediately. Sounds kewl.
What amazed me here was the amount of navigators people have in their cars, you see them everywhere. IN the states, you only see them in expensive cars, but here they are in everything from mercedes to Mini pajero's (mitsubishi small truck). The best part is they are multifunctional. YOu can watch satellite TV, play DVD's, get the weather from the internet, and get a visual guide to where you are going, kind of like a 3D atlas. It even shows the buildings, streets, stop signs, etc... It will also give you driving instructions by voice.

Big Booger
Posted Image

Drewdatrip

Drewdatrip

MSFN Junkie

• Patrons
  • 2,185 posts
  • Joined 14-October 01
MAN! Everytime i think about all the cool things about Japan...it makes me want to move there! Only problem, i would never be able to learn Japenese nor do i like the fact that everything is more expensive there.

-Drew
||Please Read the Forum Rules||
||Free File and Image Hosting @ EazyShare||
||Donate to MSFN and Help Keep This Site Running||
||Vote for MSFN @ TweakXP Windows XP Top Sites||

Rick

Rick

• PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Joined 18-August 01
Everything except for what I love....Electronics!!!

Rick:D
Welcome to MSFN!

Read the Forum Rules
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users