Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Silent .NET Maker synthesized 20100118 - W2K/XP/2K3 x86

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1003 replies to this topic

exogenesis

exogenesis

• 22 posts
Thanks -x- nice page you have there will grab them for nlite install as you say :)

Shame strel hasn't updated in a while. Maybe someone knows him and can get him to agree ok to carry on, that is after he has posted ok here ok to so. Would be nice for update since .net is ongoing and we need this script updating just as much. How about we do an alternative version but is really an update for later as now for newer .net installs. ;)

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

thomast77

thomast77
  • 7 posts
Ok this is alittle over my head but I want to give it a try. How else can I learn right? I need to add just Net Framework 1.1 and any service packs if there are any. So if I understand correctly.
1) I need to copy the Win XP disc to a folder on the HD. It has SP2 so I will slipstream SP3 first which I have already done.
2) Copy 7za.exe, dotnetfx.exe, _SNMsynth.ini and _SNMsynth.cmd to the folder that has the Disc contents.
3) run _SNMsynth.cmd
Is that correct? I am not sure what if any changes I should make to the _SNMsynth.ini file. Do I need NetFx20SP1_x86.exe and NetFx20SP2_x86.exe these appear to be Net Framework 2,0 related. I just need Net Framework 1.1 complete with service packs. I assume dotnetfx.exe is fully updated version of Net Framework 1.1?

Thank You in advance for any input
Thomas

Edited by thomast77, 11 December 2010 - 05:34 AM.

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
Yes and no.
Here is a ready-made add-on if you want one http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=6512
Considering these steps

2) Copy 7za.exe, dotnetfx.exe, _SNMsynth.ini and _SNMsynth.cmd to the folder that has the Disc contents.
3) run _SNMsynth.cmd

no, you don't copy them to the xp source folder. Choose any other directory, modify _SNMsynth.ini to process Net Framework 1.1 and produce an add-on and then run _SNMsynth.cmd.
You can add the resulting add-on into nLite' Hotfixes, Sddons and Update packs section.

Cheers

thomast77

thomast77
  • 7 posts

Yes and no.
Here is a ready-made add-on if you want one http://www.ryanvm.ne...opic.php?t=6512
Considering these steps

3) run _SNMsynth.cmd

no, you don't copy them to the xp source folder. Choose any other directory, modify _SNMsynth.ini to process Net Framework 1.1 and produce an add-on and then run _SNMsynth.cmd.
You can add the resulting add-on into nLite' Hotfixes, Sddons and Update packs section.

Cheers

Well I think I will just use the ready made addon. There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts

There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

Yes, they are mirrors; you only need one of them. Add it to the Hotfixes, Addons and Update packs section in nLite (pic #6 in this picture guide http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html)

Cheers

thomast77

thomast77
  • 7 posts

There are 4 on that page are they just mirrors so I just need one of them? Then I add this file and nothing else to the drivers page in Nlite?

Yes, they are mirrors; you only need one of them. Add it to the Hotfixes, Addons and Update packs section in nLite (pic #6 in this picture guide http://win-x.co.cc/nliteimages.html)

Cheers

Ok Thank You very much for the info :)

AllGamer

AllGamer
  • 1 posts
Hmm.. i see other have already asked the same question I had in mind.

I'm also looking for a way to update this script and include the full .NET 4.0 package into the mix.

Then a single CD/DVD install will have all the latest add-ons and hot fixes for XP SP3

lazyman

lazyman
  • 1 posts
There is a line in "_SNMsynth.cmd" that I do not understand.
Can anyone help me?
It is line 14:
IF DEFINED SWITCH1 IF /I "!SWITCH1:~1!"=="echo" (@ECHO ON) ELSE ECHO ERROR: %1 is not a supported switch.&GOTO :PREEOF
What do the exclamation marks and the ":~1" in "!SWITCH1:~1!" do?

Also; does anyone know of a good, free, definitive, downloadable guide to the Command shell?

I found one:
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/

Edited by lazyman, 14 October 2011 - 01:59 AM.

Inki

Inki

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
This is essentially input for bphlpt and his quest.

It is a straightforward script, that I have made for my own use to be able to create .NET installers with the latest updates. It is heavily based on what I found inside SNM Synth, though much simplified and modified in parts, and I am only presenting it in case it might contain anything that would be useful for the next generation. (Also, as I have benefited from using SNM Synth, and feel indebted to it, I felt it was only proper to share this, whether or not it is of use to anybody. I am likewise grateful to anybody, whose contributions have helped to develop SNM Synth, and I certainly don't want anybody to perceive the script below as a rip-off.)

Its essential features are:
- It does Win2k and WinXP
- It does 1.1SP1 or (20SP2+30SP2+35SP1) or both in one installer. (of course not going beyond 20SP2 for Win2k)
- It does not do languages
- The installers are switchless, passive, and assume an msi.dll of at least 3.x on the target (2k vanilla has 2.x)
- There is no ini file, a reasonable (for me) set of options is hard-coded in (e.g. VC8/9 removed) though easily editable
- Selection and ordering of hotfixes has to be done by editing lists within the script itself.

To try it one begins by placing all .NET source files (including the _*.7z archives) in a .\SRC subdirectory, running the built-in extraction utility, and editing lists inside the script itself to match extracted source .msp's. As it's purpose is to be input for bphlpt (or others), and I have no interest in supporting anybody to use it, no further instructions are provided.

Attached Files

Edited by Inki, 29 January 2011 - 09:26 AM.

Inki

Inki

Junior

• Pip
  • 59 posts
By the way, as I was examining SNM Synth to come up with my own gap-filling, work-around script (in the previous post), I came up against some questions, that were not critical, but for which I had no answers. So, out of pure curiosity, I wonder if anybody could comment on them:

1) If the target system is not Win2k, the installers created by SNM Synth examine the "System Setup In Progress" flag in registry. If the flag is set, the installers: (a.) temporarily reset the flag for the duration of the installation, and (b.) first clear some DW (Dr Watson, I presume) registry settings and afterwards set the registry to contain location information for DW20.exe. Now, I figured the DW stuff is related to the O2K3 debugger though I noticed that the registry manipulations are not linked to whether the debugger is present in the installers or not. Anyway, as I use the installers in an unattended installation CD, and don't use the O2K3 debugger, no DW stuff is present at runtime, so I left out the DW registry manipulations, because I prefer not to have location information for nonexistent files entered into registry. I did, however keep the SSIP flag manipulation, because I don't really know what that is for and thought that at least it would not do any harm. So the question here is: Can anybody comment on what the precise purpose of these registry manipulations by the installers could be?

2) On a general level, I understand that the .mst files contained in .7z archives that are packaged together with SNM Synth are used to manipulate installation instructions/detaĆ­ls stored inside .msi files. However, I have no clue as to what these instructions/details specifically are. So I wonder: Are there any publicly available tools for examining or manipulating the content of .msi or .mst files at that level of detail?

Edit:
Nevermind the second question after all. Being the complete amateur that I am, I had some apprehensions about finding tools for the purpose. However, voicing the question motivated me to search around, and I found some SDK's that contained orca.msi and mstview.exe, which seem adequate to satisfy my curiosity. Still, on first examination, transforming msi's seems to be a complicated business, not be entered lightly.

Edited by Inki, 06 February 2011 - 05:35 PM.

Kiki Burgh

Kiki Burgh

MSFN Expert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts
hello! it's nice to know this project still perks interests to some members. with all due respect, i was away for quite sometime so i ask if strel is still on board? hope all's well from his end. tomcat & strel, with regular feedback from members have made this a very handy tool. just wondering if we could still look forward to using this to cover updates (& fixes) to .net. cheers!
Posted Image

ghostdlr

ghostdlr
  • 6 posts
The desktop pplication I'm developing requires .NET Framework 3.5 and I want to build an unattended (only progress bar) setup .

So , I extracted 20100118_SNMsynth and saved dotnetfx35.exe (231 mb) in the same directory . Now, I need help configuring _SNMsynth.ini .

I want to include only the files required for my application to run on 32 and 64 bit OS . What settings should I use ?

How should I set this "TARGETOS=" if I want to make a setup for XP/Vista/WIndows 7 ?

NEED HELP URGENTLY

Thanks

clarkg888

clarkg888
  • 8 posts
Hello ghostdlr,

I don't think you can use this for Vista or windows 7 (from reading the first post in this thread). The supported OS are 2K, XP and 2k3. The TARGET_OS option in the .ini lets you build on an OS different than the build machine (e.g. build for install on 2K using an XP box.). Also, I suspect 64-bit would require a different installer and is not supported by .net maker.

I'm no expert: I've just used this for creating a fully patched XP install disk along with HFSLIP. The last time I used it was March 2010. Whether it can integrate any subsequent .net patches I don't know.

You know that dotnet35.exe supports silent install itself, right? (/q /norestart switches)

I hope this helps,
Clark.

ghostdlr

ghostdlr
  • 6 posts
One more question .... does this require Windows Installer to work ?

Edited by ghostdlr, 12 April 2011 - 04:46 AM.

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes; some of the packages inside are (as far as I know) .msi and/or .msp.

ghostdlr

ghostdlr
  • 6 posts
Is there any way to integrate a Windows installer setup in this pack ?

Sp0iLedBrAt

Sp0iLedBrAt

MSFN Addict

• MSFN Sponsor
  • 1,727 posts
No, sorry.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
The new list for .NET Framework 1.1 (2011-05-13)

dotNetFx.exe
NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
NDP1.1sp1-KB971108-X86.exe - W2K only
NDP1.1sp1-KB2416447-X86.exe (supersedes KB979906)

The new list for .NET Framework 2.0 (2011-05-13)

NetFx20SP2_x86.exe
NDP20SP2-KB958481-x86.exe
NDP20SP2-KB971111-x86.exe - W2K only
NDP20SP2-KB976576-x86.exe
NDP20SP2-KB979909-x86.exe
NDP20SP2-KB982167-x86.exe
NDP20SP2-KB2418241-x86.exe (supersedes KB976765)
NDP20SP2-KB2446704-v2-x86.exe (supersedes KB983583, KB976569, KB974417)

All of them can be processed by SNMsynth but in case of KB2446704-v2 you may have to remove the "-v2" as the filename is too long and results in a "file not found" error.

As I'm using Windows 2000 I'm not really interested in making a current list of .NET 3.5 updates. Still it would be nice if someone else made an updated list for newer Frameworks :)

Edited by tomasz86, 13 May 2011 - 08:30 AM.

Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

darks0ul

darks0ul

• PipPip
  • 148 posts
How do you integrate KB2416473? I'm looking for the registry changes needed.

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts
I do have a problem with NDP1.1sp1-KB2416447-X86.exe, it seems to be in another format.
SNMsynth cannot process it. I get the usual popup that the switches aren't correct.
Any ideas are welcome.

Cheers.

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
I've just checked it and the problem with this one is not its format but filename :lol:

Rename it to NDP1.1sp1-KBz2416447-X86.exe so it will get processed AFTER the other older updates (which are KB8x or KB9x).

Posted Image
Posted Image
Unofficial Service Pack 5.2 for MS Windows 2000 <- use this topic if you need help with UURollup, Update Rollup 2 and other unofficial packages

Escorpiom

Escorpiom

Junior

• Pip
  • 88 posts

I've just checked it and the problem with this one is not its format but filename :lol:

Rename it to NDP1.1sp1-KBz2416447-X86.exe so it will get processed AFTER the other older updates (which are KB8x or KB9x).

Thanks a lot! In fact I did rename the file but not in that way. Going to give it another try, I could never have known that.

Cheers.

Edit: Smooth, everything got processed and it also shows in the process data. Only thing is that the output file is smaller despite the size of the now included KB2416447.
The update probably overwrites some old files.

Edited by Escorpiom, 30 June 2011 - 03:16 PM.

ZEUS__

ZEUS__

• PipPip
  • 194 posts
hi,
NDP20SP2-KB2518864-x86.EXE doen't seem to integrate with the way making iexpress cab. WU still show it.<br><br>edit: I made mistake. now it seems correct on WU.<br>

Edited by ZEUS__, 01 July 2011 - 03:31 PM.

Champion

Posted Image

tomasz86

tomasz86

www.windows2000.tk

• 2,520 posts
Strange because file structure is "normal", i.e. it's not different from the other updates. Do you receive any errors when processing the file in SNM?

I hope it's not connected with the KB2x filename again. I think it can be safely said that you should change filenames of the new updates in order to get them processed after the older ones.

I can't check WU now as Win2k's WU is not updated anymore and doesn't show the new .NET related updates (even though they can be installed in 2K without any problems...) but I'll try to check it later on an XP machine.

Solved I think :)

Edited by tomasz86, 04 July 2011 - 06:50 AM.

Posted Image

Guest_Robinwood_*

Guest_Robinwood_*
  • Guests
Wow ! thanks ... am gonna take print out of this tips and share it with my friends in my college... :thumbup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN