Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

correct me if i'm wrong, but does this mean we could 'unlock' the drives over rs232, then apply the firmware update? just a bit curious as, could unlock the drive, use another for a couple of days as the system drive to apply the firmware update.

Yes, you can unlock, but it will shows as 0KB after that. It's enough for a firmware update, BUT I don't know if after all that (after updating), will allow to you to see and use your gold data again, since I have no further information after the unlock process.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

Thats giid news...

But does anyone else have problems loging in on to the seagate support page?Everytime I try to create a new name, or log in with my old one, I get a message that my username/password combo may be incorrect, or my accesstime may be limited, or my region may be restricted...

YEAHHHHHH, YIPPYYYYYY, thanks everyone for putting pressure on Seagate. I've just email them.

Ge

SUCCESS!!!!! Way to go all. We knew that the negative publicity would eventually cause Seagate to react!

PS: anyone want this RS-232 connection that I don't need any more? LOL

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbupSeagate offers fix, free data recovery for bricked Barracudas :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246

Thank you for doing the right thing Seagate, maybe you can fire Alanm and make our day. :hello:

Thats giid news...

But does anyone else have problems loging in on to the seagate support page?Everytime I try to create a new name, or log in with my old one, I get a message that my username/password combo may be incorrect, or my accesstime may be limited, or my region may be restricted...

They're most likely having problems processing the huge amount of visitors attracted by today's developments. Maybe you should try a little bit later or restart your browser..

Edited by DerSnoezie

What about any of the seagate laptop drives that are either SATA or IDE?

Do they have firmware problems and if so will they be fixed too?

I'll have to dig into the computer and check out an old 3.5 Seagate IDE/PATA 750GIG 7200.10 drive I bougft

about 1.5 years ago since I'm pretty sure it also had SD15 on it to when I bought two of them from staples.com

The seagate knowledge base doesn't seem to specify if it is SATA, IDE, PATA interface types or all of them.

any IDE failed drives out there?

Techreport also contacted seagate and they got a response saying they will do free data recovery and a firmware fix.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/16246

Per the above article

Support is also available through Seagate's call center: 1-800-SEAGATE (1 800 732-4283)

Customers can expedite assistance by sending an email to Seagate (discsupport@seagate.com). Please include the following disk drive information: model number, serial number and current firmware revision. We will respond, promptly, to your email request with appropriate instructions. There is no data loss associated with this issue, and the data still resides on the drive. But if you are unable to access your data due to this issue, Seagate will provide free data recovery services. Seagate will work with you to expedite a remedy to minimize any disruption to you or your business.

For a list of international telephone numbers to Seagate Support and alternative methods of contact, please access http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/

*There is no safety issue with these products.

Here's one posters comment on how Seagate will do free recovery very cheaply. It makes sense...

I suspect the "free data recovery" will just involve them swapping the controller board [with the updated firmware] and sending the now-working drive back to you, since it doesn't appear that this problem results in any errors/corruption of the disk itself -- the drive just stops talking to the rest of the system.

or...

They are probably overwriting a new firmware version through the JTAG/test points on the boards and then shipping the drives back.

For those with linux. Here's the command to get the drive firmware and info

hdparm -I /dev/sda|b|c

What does the seagate CEO think? Read all about it.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/30/magazines/...eagate.fortune/

Another poster said and I quote!

Seagate did the right thing. Now, where's my 5 year warranty ?

Time to call the magazines again to get the ball rolling on this...

Edited by mikesw

Guest selinasalvationdata

Dear everybody,

I am so glad to meet all of you here.

More and more people are placing their complain and angry about this Seagate 7200.11 drives. The typical problem for this drive are that they get a new drive and use very happy at the first two or three months, then suddenly one day, the drive cannot be detected any more or it can be detected but with zero LBA. These problems have caused many troubles for people who is suffering the loss of their important data. But Seagate company do not say anything about this, all the feedbacks or the complains have been deleted relentlessly. In order to solve this problem, people are all trying their best to find an effective way to get rid of this trouble, but most of them failed.

However, for several months' hard research, our spamming and poor company finally find the best and effective way to solve this problem. We released our HD Doctor Utility for Seagate 7200.11 hard drive in last November. It has been proved by people from all over the world as a very good and effecient tool which can solve this problem with a very low cost but can gain or their cherished data. Anyone who is still in this dilemma can turn to someone who has this kind of utility to ask for help.

Hope this post can help you to retrieve your important data. :thumbup

Regards

Selina :

DOH!!!!

Glad to hear them making steps to resolve this....

I just freakin ordered the $500 Salvation Data solution yesterday!!! They've already shipped it out via DHL today. Oh well, if I can't return it or refuse it, as least I'll have my data back quickly.... I wonder how long the normal turn-around will be for Seagate to recover these drives. By the looks of it..... they'll be pretty backlogged to begin with!! <shrugs>

What does the seagate CEO think? Read all about it.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/30/magazines/...eagate.fortune/

Another poster said and I quote!

Seagate did the right thing. Now, where's my 5 year warranty ?

Time to call the magazines again to get the ball rolling on this...

Did you know he got fired just two days ago? :whistle:

Gradius

selina,

most of us know about your hd doctor already. we did our research. there is really no need for you to spam this with an advertorial message.

you should also know that most of us here are home users, who spent no more than USD100 for the hard disk. and all we need to fix is one stupid seagate firmware problem and it's quite ridiculous to expect all of us to buy the hd doctor for 5x the amount we spent for the hard disk, and even more ridiculous when recovery companies quote us USD250 upwards to fix this.

what you could have done is let us know which of your customers have this hd doctor in the different regions you've seen here (UK, Toronto, US, Singapore, Malaysia) and give them a hint to come here and offer their services. If they offer to fix this at a reasonable cost, e.g. less than USD100, I bet you that they would have gotten heck a lot of customers and business.

however, i can understand it may not be in your own interests as it will not generate more sales for you. your company has done seagate 7200.11 customers worldwide a service though, as you managed to fix this problem. however, it's unfortunate that i cannot find any company using your product in Malaysia to fix this for me, and I certainly will not pay USD500 just to use the HD doctor ONCE.

thank you.

Dear everybody,

I am so glad to meet all of you here.

More and more people are placing their complain and angry about this Seagate 7200.11 drives. The typical problem for this drive are that they get a new drive and use very happy at the first two or three months, then suddenly one day, the drive cannot be detected any more or it can be detected but with zero LBA. These problems have caused many troubles for people who is suffering the loss of their important data. But Seagate company do not say anything about this, all the feedbacks or the complains have been deleted relentlessly. In order to solve this problem, people are all trying their best to find an effective way to get rid of this trouble, but most of them failed.

However, for several months' hard research, our spamming and poor company finally find the best and effective way to solve this problem. We released our HD Doctor Utility for Seagate 7200.11 hard drive in last November. It has been proved by people from all over the world as a very good and effecient tool which can solve this problem with a very low cost but can gain or their cherished data. Anyone who is still in this dilemma can turn to someone who has this kind of utility to ask for help.

Hope this post can help you to retrieve your important data. :thumbup

Regards

Selina :

Nice to see a KB article about it.... 3-12 months too late, but still something. When they officially announce free data recovery I'll be a little less irate/ready for litigation, but only after they fix the tens of thousands of drives they knowingly released this way. Still never buying another Seagate product, no sir.