Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Yeah, definitely not spinning. :( Tried it with a working drive & the Seagate, I can feel what you're talking about on the good drive and it's not there on the Seagate at all.

Then it's either:

• bad motor
  • bad PCB (in the motor regulating part)
  • stuck heads or bearing (statistically the most likely, expecially if it was external unit. It usually means it was dropped)

Nothing you can fix I am afraid. :(

DO NOT EVEN THINK of doing this:

http://forum.hddguru.com/barracuda-7200-fell-plates-won-spin-t7040.html

Thank you for your help.

You are welcome. :)

jaclaz

Hi jaclaz

Thanks for your reply

I have now tested the CA-42 cable on another Barracuda drive (ST3500320AS) and had no problem to get the prompt F3 T>.

That let the "ES.2" problem !!!??? Wich is as you said, " a tricky business" . I will try to find again the posts about the ES.2/...Ns models,read carrefully (english is not my first language),and take notes.

HallBert

Edited by HallBert

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have my 1.5TB disk ye afflicted with this problem and bought the adapter cable to see if I can solve, but when attempting to make the connection and do not like and not seen the connection schemes must attend in I like the tutorial please if someone has sent me or give me the page where you can see them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RS232-Serial-Port-To-TTL-Converter-Module-MAX3232-V-1-0_W0QQitemZ170548702822QQcategoryZ1504QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4712.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%252BP%252BIIUM%252BMRU-15032%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D170527922672%252B290480236617%252B300476202374%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5204343891981415822

Edited by ElKazador

Hi, I have my 1.5TB disk ye afflicted with this problem and bought the adapter cable to see if I can solve, but when attempting to make the connection and do not like and not seen the connection schemes must attend in I like the tutorial please if someone has sent me or give me the page where you can see them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...343891981415822

Please do not double-post :angry:

See reply here http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__941713

Edited by BlouBul

• 4 weeks later...

Hello to everyone.

I´m new to this forum so I apolozie in advance for any mistake I should do in my posting.

I live in Argentina and I bought a second PC with a SAMSUNG disk of 320 Gb. This happened in February 2009.

This are the main data of the machine:

Motherboard: ASUS M3N78-VM

Processor: Athlon 64x2 dual 6000+

RAM 4 Gbytes

Soon afterwards I discovered that it was short of disk space and in March 2009 I bought a second disk: a SEAGATE. This was a brand I trusted for many years ago but....

This are the data fron the label of the disk:

Seagate Barracuda GT 7200.11

500 Gbytes

S/N:

ST3500320AS

P/N: 98x154-305

Firware: SD1A

Data Code:09264

Site Code: WUXISG

WWN: 5000C50012328F2F

Product made in China

A week ago when I start up the PC in the morning, as ever, I din´t found the Seagate any more!

It appeared in WExplorer but the directories only. When I try to open them nothing happens.

I began, in great despair, to google and somewhere I read ¨bricked¨ and from there on I reach your site.

After reading many pages I am in a really mess and I don´t know what to do.

According with some of you, I noticed that it appeared in the POST correctly with 500 Gb, UDMA 6, etc.

Going to the setup it appeared also with 500 Gb, SATA 2, etc.

I take it off the PC, and tried it in my hand and it seems to me that it spin well, without any noises.

In the site of Seagate it appeared that I have the last firmware update. Of course I don´t update for myself, it is as I bought it.

I need a great help, I suppose. Can you help me?

A week ago when I start up the PC in the morning, as ever, I din´t found the Seagate any more!

It appeared in WExplorer but the directories only. When I try to open them nothing happens.

I began, in great despair, to google and somewhere I read ¨bricked¨ and from there on I reach your site.

After reading many pages I am in a really mess and I don´t know what to do.

According with some of you, I noticed that it appeared in the POST correctly with 500 Gb, UDMA 6, etc.

Going to the setup it appeared also with 500 Gb, SATA 2, etc.

I take it off the PC, and tried it in my hand and it seems to me that it spin well, without any noises.

In the site of Seagate it appeared that I have the last firmware update. Of course I don´t update for myself, it is as I bought it.

I need a great help, I suppose. Can you help me?

Your drive is not bricked. Different symptoms and SD1A is immune against the bug.

Give us more details of what exactly the symptoms are. When you try to open folders, does it open and show empty or doesn't it open at all? If you rightclick - properties, does it show the right size?

Hi BlouBul

I thank you for your fast answer.

1 - When I try to open folders, WE seems to hang, and after a couple of minutes return to show the directories without open them.

2 - When I open Properties it shows the right size AND shows the usage in both partitions.

I have partitioned the disk in three partitions: a) 6 GB. to put in it the swap file. B) 228 Gb. for Data. c) 220 Gb. for Data. In B) and c) the usage is near the 90 %.

I risk myself running HD Tune, Info Tab, and it shows the following:

HD Tune: ST3500320AS Information

Firmware version : SD1A

Serial number : 5QM3W8X3

Capacity : 465.8 GB (~500.1 GB)

Buffer size : n/a

Standard : ATA/ATAPI-0 - SATA I

Supported mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)

Current mode : UDMA Mode 6 (Ultra ATA/133)

S.M.A.R.T : yes

48-bit Address : yes

Read Look-Ahead : yes

Write Cache : yes

Host Protected Area : yes

Device Configuration Overlay : yes

Automatic Acoustic Management: no

Power Management : yes

Advanced Power Management : no

Power-up in Standby : no

Security Mode : yes

Firmware Upgradable : yes

Partition : 1

Drive letter :

Label :

Capacity : 8001 MB

Usage : 0.00%

Type : NTFS

Bootable : No

Partition : 2

Drive letter :

Label :

Capacity : 234464 MB

Partition : 3

Drive letter :

Label :

Capacity : 234472 MB

That´s all for now.

Quique Villalba

I risk myself running HD Tune, Info Tab, and it shows the following:

It sounds like a perfectly working hard disk that has serious partitioning/filesystem issues.

Just open Disk Management, take a snapshot of it and post the screenshot.

Open a command prompt and try running in it CHKDSK (without ANY command parameter BUT the drive letter) example if the three partitions on that disk are E:\ F:\ and G:\ try running:

CHKDSK E:\

repeat with F: and G:

Post what chkdsk says.

Please also, start a NEW THREAD about your issue, it seems like having nothing to do with this thread scope.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi, I havejust been reading about baracuda 7200.11 drives. Mine is st3500620AS serial 9qm7a9es firmware SD25 date code 09123 site code kratsg, product of thailand. It was supplied as part of a fujitsu siemens computer with a 1 year guarantee. I appreciate this thread has been going a long time so information may have changed, and I have not read every word. At some point it lists an announcement from seagate that this bug did not affect drives made after jan o9. I dont understand the date code so I dont know if it would or would not come into that range. The drive failed gradually. Windows vista became difficult to boot, stuck for long periods but then did boot on a known good configuration. Then next time around total failure and the drive is not recognised. Seagate list the drive serial as needing an update, but they also give a list of firmwares affected and say to get in touch if you have a different one, which this is. I await their response.

The drive seems to run ok without strange noises and holds up boot when fitted in a computer, presumably as it tries to read the drive. It is then not recognised. It failed this summer, but the computer hasnt been used much since new.

I was wondering if people had more information about a wider range of affected drives and if this would be one of them. The slow failure might be indicative of a separate problem with windows, which however caused a sudden rash of power off restarts and thus triggered the disk shutdown.

Hi, I havejust been reading about baracuda 7200.11 drives. Mine is st3500620AS serial 9qm7a9es firmware SD25 date code 09123 site code kratsg, product of thailand. It was supplied as part of a fujitsu siemens computer with a 1 year guarantee. I appreciate this thread has been going a long time so information may have changed, and I have not read every word. At some point it lists an announcement from seagate that this bug did not affect drives made after jan o9. I dont understand the date code so I dont know if it would or would not come into that range. The drive failed gradually. Windows vista became difficult to boot, stuck for long periods but then did boot on a known good configuration. Then next time around total failure and the drive is not recognised. Seagate list the drive serial as needing an update, but they also give a list of firmwares affected and say to get in touch if you have a different one, which this is. I await their response.

The drive seems to run ok without strange noises and holds up boot when fitted in a computer, presumably as it tries to read the drive. It is then not recognised. It failed this summer, but the computer hasnt been used much since new.

I was wondering if people had more information about a wider range of affected drives and if this would be one of them. The slow failure might be indicative of a separate problem with windows, which however caused a sudden rash of power off restarts and thus triggered the disk shutdown.

All SD25 firmware is affected.

I think you are right about it being a separated problem in the beginning, but if it is now constantly not being recognised in bios, it *might* now be suffering from BSY.

A good place to start is where you will get all the details of what is wrong and how to fix your drive.

havnt built a serial interface to connect something for 20 years, but hey. Cant help thinking that it ought to be possible to reprogram the disc via the pc sata connector. Would that be one of the big secrets seagate want to keep hidden? Anyone know what my date code 09123 translates as?

And thanks to everyone who wrote the threads here. It was fun reading your chase trying to figure this out.

Cant help thinking that it ought to be possible to reprogram the disc via the pc sata connector. Would that be one of the big secrets seagate want to keep hidden?

Good luck on your wild goose chase. :whistle:

Anyone know what my date code 09123 translates as?

Yes. :)

http://homepages.tesco.net/J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-no-answers.html

See here ;):

http://tinyurl.com/2ccy9yx

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

ok so this is the best place i've been able to find for help with my problem, so i bought a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 (in the form of a buffalo 1TB external drive) and its worked fine for me for about 2 years now, a couple of weeks ago i got a virus/error/my computer was just being retarded and wouldn't let me install any new programs or updates (it got to the "i've read and agree to the terms and conditions" page then the installation window just dissapeared) so i moved "everything" (every file, movie and photo i own) onto my external taking it to about 950GB full out off 1TB and began a full clean reinstall of windows xp my external worked fine for another couple of days, then one day i turned in on and nothing.

The disc spins up fine but my computer and laptop dont even recognise that ive plugged something in, then i heard of then type ofproblems being talked about here so i started reading the thread and got to about page 7 befor i realised a ) this thread is really long and b ) most of waht is being said is going over my head (i have no idea what most of the abbreviations stand for) , im not some computer illiterate goon but im not as advanced as some of the users on here.

as such im going to post as much information as i can here and see if anybody can give me instructions as to a home fix. the external inself is currently in multiple pieces as i took it appart and tried to install it as an internal drive and force my bios to detect the drive, this didn't work at all, obviously i can put it back together if needed.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB

S/N: 9QJ16WXB

ST31000340AS

P/N: 9BX158-501

Firmware: SD15

Date Code: 08513

Site Code: KRATSG

WWN: 5000C5000D4D6A88

(MIC)

STX-ST31000340AS ( B )

this is all the information that there is on the acctuall HD in question any help appreciated and while waiting i will continue to slowly work my way through the rest of the thread, however i dont think this will be much help as most of the links are now dead.

thx in advance to anybody who reads this and/or helps.

Edited by karas667