Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Howdi All,

Glad to know you missed me! In order to continue the Seagate tradition of censoring posts and providing poor customer service I have applied to become a moderator on this board as well. :thumbup

MSFN has agreed to expedite the process, so as early as tomorrow we will see the following changes:

1) Any discussion about removing the BSY feature will result in a permanent ban, Seagate can't make any money if you guys fix your own drives.

2) All instances of the words "fail", "trouble", and "died" will be replaced with "double-plus-good".

3) Any posts which do not acknowledge Seagate as the one true god will be deleted, repeated violations will result in a lengthy stay in purgatory.

We look forward to your continued dissatisfaction with Seagate products.

Thank you for worshipping Seagate.

I'm sure there are better boards for you to play your game.

This is serious business sir.

Alan_M, just deleted this link (above), on one of my post, so they're censuring a lot things there.

Gradius

At MSFN? Impossible. And i don't see why he would - even if he could - delete such old news. So nice try. Will all jokers please leave the building?! so I can start enjoying my weekend XD

Not here of course. Actually it was BradC, not AlanM (isn't Alan_M):

From http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...4452&page=2

"Every SD15 is a timebomb.

Last version (AFAIK) is SD1A.

But it was too late to me, another one just died (3 out of 4).

Btw, it seems is a very serious issue with 7200.11 family, and isn't just the firmware, since Seagate just released 7200.12:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/...racuda_7200.12/

But I dunno if they fixed the problem, I read someone got a 500GB 7200.12 and bang!, isn't recognized by BIOS anymore. We'll know soon enough if the problem is still there or not.

Honestly, indue to low QA tests, the company will lost a lot of royal consumers and money (IMHO).

For years, I had faint on Seagate, and this is why I spent thousands and thousands of dollars in those last 20 years, I started selling 40MB HDs from Seagate's early in 1990, on systems I build it (more than 500), then 80MB and so on. Now, after all those headaches, and lot of money and hard work lost (the datas on them), I'm forced to look for another solution.

Fernando

(edited for relevance)

Message Edited by BradC on 01-15-2009 09:11 AM"

See? :rolleyes:

Gradius

Howdi All,

Glad to know you missed me! In order to continue the Seagate tradition of censoring posts and providing poor customer service I have applied to become a moderator on this board as well. :thumbup

MSFN has agreed to expedite the process, so as early as tomorrow we will see the following changes:

1) Any discussion about removing the BSY feature will result in a permanent ban, Seagate can't make any money if you guys fix your own drives.

2) All instances of the words "fail", "trouble", and "died" will be replaced with "double-plus-good".

3) Any posts which do not acknowledge Seagate as the one true god will be deleted, repeated violations will result in a lengthy stay in purgatory.

We look forward to your continued dissatisfaction with Seagate products.

Thank you for worshipping Seagate.

Bwahahahahahahaa :w00t::lol:

Okay, ignore mode XD

Edited by DerSnoezie

been following this for the last few days. Bought a ST3750330AS 750gb 7200.11 sd15 from newegg on 12/30/08. luckily it hadn't failed when i got wind of this. I had a 750gb es.2 in another machine that I moved the image to and thought I was safe. then i see from that (since removed) list posted by seagate that the es.2 (ST3750330NS) is possibly also affected, although I know it doesn't have SD15 on it.

So, those of you with more experience: what would you recommend? WD Caviar Black? I'd rather spend some money now and have a machine that I can use over waiting for seagate to issue a fix. This is for a home PC, spends most of its time editing images and running itunes...no heavy server use, etc.

Thanks to everyone who is keeping up the pressure and getting the word out. If I can represent the "casual user" for a moment, you guys are heroes! If I ran PR/support like seagate apparently is, I'd be out of business quickly!

Hi all,

I have two ST31000340AS with firmware SD15 made in Thailand. The first drive was purchased in August and the second in October. Both drives are still working (knock on wood) and I'm a little puzzled as to why that is. Since the BSY flag problem is a firmware defect, I would expect the drives to fail at some point, but they haven't yet. Are there any theories as to why that is? Is there a motherboard/chipset combination which triggers the defect in the firmware?

Another interesting thing is that both drives are showing 0kB cache (BuffSize=0kB). I'm wondering if that has somehow "protected" them from the BSY flag problem?

hdparm -i /dev/sdb
/dev/sdb:

Model=ST31000340AS , FwRev=SD15 , SerialNo= XXXXXXXXX
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=?16?

hdparm -i /dev/sdc
/dev/sdc:

Model=ST31000340AS , FwRev=SD15 , SerialNo= XXXXXXXXX
Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
BuffType=unknown, BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=?16?

Has anyone noticed the user - Seagate_AlanM :hello:?? Maybe Seagate can join in on the discussion and help us fix this issue... Might help out a bit in the PR arena!!

i think it is more likely he is trying to get this thread removed than him posting anything here!

in terms of this rumoured new firmware, it is likely that it will not "fix" the people whose drives have already locked up, but is intended for people who have not yet experienced any failure to prevent it from happening.

seems to me like this is probably the cheapest option for them to deal with this crisis they are facing. this caters for the folks who do not want to RMA the drive because we will just get another back that is going to do the exact same thing. but they really need to come up with a proper solution for us customers that have locked up drives other than RMAing it, because the cost of data recovery for an obvious fault on the part of seagate is the cause of the problem. they say in their warranty they do not cover data recovery costs, well that is fine, but come up with a PROPER solution for everybody then! if data recovery companies have found a way around this, surely seagate know how to fix it?!

Hi all,

I have two ST31000340AS with firmware SD15 made in Thailand. The first drive was purchased in August and the second in October. Both drives are still working (knock on wood) and I'm a little puzzled as to why that is. Since the BSY flag problem is a firmware defect, I would expect the drives to fail at some point, but they haven't yet. Are there any theories as to why that is? Is there a motherboard/chipset combination which triggers the defect in the firmware?

Another interesting thing is that both drives are showing 0kB cache (BuffSize=0kB). I'm wondering if that has somehow "protected" them from the BSY flag problem?

The problem is caused by a firmware bug, it writes bad data on sector 0 where some important information about your HD lies there. When it writes bad data there, it leads the drive to CC, BSY or 0GB state. This problem can be manifested between 2 weeks until 5 months (so far it's random thing). It could be a hardware problem too, but that only Seagate will know (?) and I hardly believe they will tell us all the true, because it would lead to panic, and everyone around the world would return those crappy HDs at same time, and of course, I believe they don't want that because of the costs involved on a mass recall and bad publicity, but good companies does mass recalls, and I do find that a good thing.

Gradius

WD Caviar Black? I'd rather spend some money now and have a machine that I can use over waiting for seagate to issue a fix. This is for a home PC, spends most of its time editing images and running itunes...no heavy server use, etc.

Thanks to everyone who is keeping up the pressure and getting the word out. If I can represent the "casual user" for a moment, you guys are heroes! If I ran PR/support like seagate apparently is, I'd be out of business quickly!

Yes, I do recommend WD Caviar Black, in fact I'll replace all my 750GB to 1TBs WD C.B.

My fear are on 1TB ST31000333AS I have now. :unsure:

Gradius

Hi all,

snip

but good companies does mass recalls, and I do find that a good thing.

Gradius

exactly. good companies would sort this out. if seagate turned around and offered to fix all these drives for us, so rare is decent customer service these days that i would probably only ever buy seagate hard drives from that point forward. however, they wont.

in terms of this rumoured new firmware, it is likely that it will not "fix" the people whose drives have already locked up, but is intended for people who have not yet experienced any failure to prevent it from happening.

Unfortunately, you cannot "fix" something already in locked state (aka BSY, or not begin recognized by BIOS), because the flasher needs that.

I tried myself and found out the hard way. :ph34r:

Gradius