Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Have you guys seen this? I can insert it into the first post, just PM me if you'd like to see it there. :)

http://www.kbklawfirm.com/seagate/Seagate-...-hard-drive.php

These fools are just jackals. They sue everyone they can. Look at the title of that Seagate page "Are you a Verizon customer?". Click on their name at the top of the Seagate page, and its a lawsuit against Brother printers also.

They must lie in wait for a product to fail a few times, and then try to bring a lawsuit against companies for easy money.

Scoundrel lawyers. They are probably too busy chasing ambulances to actually code webpages properly. Too bad, people may take them a bit more serious if they did.

Press Ctrl+Z to get: T> command prompt.

Then type this:

T>/2 (Enter)

2>S006b (Enter)

2>R21,01 (Enter)

2>C0,570 (Enter)

2>W20,01 (Enter)

Gradius

I doubt this will fix 7200.11 drive, it seems to be a fix for old ST310014ACE (to unlock passworded drive I guess) look here

Regards

I have built an EEPROM programmer.

The EEPROM memory is of 512K (4MBit).

I will do a backup of EEPROM memory of the PCB. Then I can do all test over PCB without any problem. Half of the firmware is here.

The problem can be a defective EEPROM, can you say your EEPROM number? (8 leads integrated circuit of the family 25XXX).

Ehhhrr, what exactly do you want us to do?

I have tested my programmer with the M25P40 memory that I had.

Unscrew torx 6 screws and see integrated circuit number.

I want make a list of EEPROM memory compatibility.

If all EEPROMs are from the same manufacturer can be an EEPROM problem.

The problem may be a writting error in the EEPROM at power off.

Sometimes there may be errors in the writing of the EEPROM. If the firmware does not detects these errors the hdd can be blocked as a security mechanism.

The other half of the firmware is in the service area SA (2113 fields, approx. 1MB), but it is innaccesible.

512K + 1MB = 1.5MB

All ".lod" or ".bin" of the updates are multiples of 512 bytes. Curiosity.

PLEASE: Help to make the EEPROM list.

Sup guys,

I contacted several mag companies, just to spread the word and i have gotten one reply thus far. This was also posted on the seagate forum, but obviously it got removed. Go Figure!

Hi, Jose.

I’ve tried to contact Seagate’s PR rep about this (and a related article I found on The Inquirer), but I haven’t heard back yet. I’ll let you know if I do.

Sounds like the issue is too huge for Seagate to ignore, for what it’s worth. I would be surprised if they don’t make an official statement soon, if they haven’t already.

Let’s cross our fingers that they have a plan to help their customers. Hang in there...

Best regards,

Edited by jpal20002001

How & where can we check the EEPROM information you are asking for? Please be a little more descriptive.

I believe you have to pull the board off the drive and look at the chips on the other side...

From OLD: MT46V16M16 (cache)

This isn't the eeprom, is just the DRAM (DDR) from Micron (cache), so the EEPROM in this case lies inside on CPU.

---

From NEW: Hynix HY5DU561622ETP-D43 (cache)

Bad news, this is DDR (Hynix) too! So is also inside the CPU.

They changed the CPU.

OLD: ST

NEW: LSI

So there is NO way to re-programming with right tools. I have the SF446, it will be necessary to disassembly and hack it to accept bad firmwares cases (like programming SD15 with AD14). Also, a new tool will be necessary to look for hard drive even if they aren't detected by BIOS. But probably isn't possible until you remove the drive from CC,BSY,0KB state, and until now this is only possible by RS232 or other hardware solution.

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

I have built an EEPROM programmer.

The EEPROM memory is of 512K (4MBit).

I will do a backup of EEPROM memory of the PCB. Then I can do all test over PCB without any problem. Half of the firmware is here.

The problem can be a defective EEPROM, can you say your EEPROM number? (8 leads integrated circuit of the family 25XXX).

Ehhhrr, what exactly do you want us to do?

I have tested my programmer with the M25P40 memory that I had.

Unscrew torx 6 screws and see integrated circuit number.

I want make a list of EEPROM memory compatibility.

If all EEPROMs are from the same manufacturer can be an EEPROM problem.

The problem may be a writting error in the EEPROM at power off.

Sometimes there may be errors in the writing of the EEPROM. If the firmware does not detects these errors the hdd can be blocked as a security mechanism.

The other half of the firmware is in the service area SA (2113 fields, approx. 1MB), but it is innaccesible.

512K + 1MB = 1.5MB

All ".lod" or ".bin" of the updates are multiples of 512 bytes. Curiosity.

the EEPROM on my board is a 25fw406a.

Other chip details (might be useful) Samsung DRAM, LSI main chip.

Has anyone tried sorting the pinout of the test port at the back? (been having problems hooking up the serial port to reset the BSY state, looking at that as a possible connection point to save soldering to the board - can't seem to find useful 'bucket' connectors for the pins)

The memory label has this form: X25X40 for memories of 512K (or X25XXX for others sizes).

Integrated circuit of 8 leads.

This image is for ST31000340AS, ST3500320AS has similar placement.

post-225812-1232135803_thumb.jpg

Edited by pichi