Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

My drive is bricked, but their serial number check thinks it's not affected.

My too

Seagate ST3500320AS, Firmware SD15, manufactured on March 22, 2008

Checker says it's not affected, but it's dead now!!!

When I registered the drive it came up as so

Product: INTERNAL KIT 7200.9 FAMILY

Model: ST3500641AS-RK

The drive identifies itself as

Model Family: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

Device Model: ST3500320AS

Serial Number: 9QM3D441

Firmware Version: SD15

User Capacity: 500,107,862,016 bytes

Seagate just says check your serial number online. The online checker "Your drive 9QM3D441 is NOT affected"

Doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence. I would like to know why the drive is okay if it says it has the affected firmware and why the serial number identifies as a 7200.9 series drive.

It is currently running fine but I have zero confidence in it.

I think it's pretty clear that Seagate doesn't know the full extend of the problem or don't want to go public with it. The KB page says that the defective drives were manufactured in Dec 2008 but clearly there are lots of people who had their ST31500341AS failing as early as Oct 2008.

My hard drive S/N:9QJONXXX not effected. What to do? I got firmware:SD15. I purchased around 6 months ago. It was running fine now. I disconnected the drive around two days ago.

So I can not get the firmware from seagate???

Edited by Leigh.Wanstead

I just checked from the web page and I have a large server FULL of the faulty drives. :angry: The Seagate tool says they ARE affected by the problem. However, my drives are ES.2 (NS) drives on a SAS controller, so they were already flashed to AN05 a long time ago. I am now wondering if they are still impacted or if they are impacted only if I had the original SN05 loaded that they came with. Anyway, I will let everyone know what support says in this particular scenario.

guys try using capital letters when entering the serial # on seagates checker site.

this person is right!

mine was affected when i entered my number in so i was wondering why so many others were having problems. i just put it in again in lower case and it tells me my drive is not affected. make sure you enter the letters in caps on the seagate checker!

See this post if your serial number is coming up as not affected. also make sure there are no spaces when you enter into the field (this can happen if you are copying and pasting the number from somewhere) as that also messes up the search. pretty pants coding i have to admit!

One other thing to keep in mind is that they are obviously updating the situation as they learn more. For example, the KB article says it is only drives which were manufactured in December, but their serial number checker tool says my drives ARE affected, and they were manufactured long before December.

One other thing to keep in mind is that they are obviously updating the situation as they learn more. For example, the KB article says it is only drives which were manufactured in December, but their serial number checker tool says my drives ARE affected, and they were manufactured long before December.

No this is FALSE !

Wasn't in December only, they really should meant UNTIL december are affected.

I have two drives from August and they died.

Btw the direct link is:

https://apps1.seagate.com/rms_af_srl_chk/

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

Hey all,

The fix was released on a website for those of you with the RS-232 connection. See Gradius' post. From reading it, this should work. I have taken the PCB board off my drive possible 50-60 times without incident, but be extremely careful when unscrewing and screwing it back on with the power connected!!!!

Thanks,

G

Fixing 0 LBA error:

To correct 0 LBA error, you'll need to do a quick format in order to regenerate the partition, just with m0,2,2 and the rest can be left blank by putting only commas or filling out with zeros. At the end you need to use a "ValidKey" code, or 22. So we'll have to enter:

F3 T>m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 (enter)

Gradius,

a question: Will the quick format wipe out / erase the existing data?

Thanks, Arnd

No, just use Partition recovery or "A-FF Find and Mount"

and copy your data safely..

i just yesterday do some translation recalculate , on my 0 LBA ST3320613AS.

May I ask if seagate checker says the hard disk not effected and if I follow the conclusion to continue using the hard disk and do have the hard drive broken later. Will any compenstation for this legal ground?

My ST3320613AS is also not affected, but 0 LBA is show ,and now repaired;)