Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Hmm I don't have parts yet but returning for replacement drive today (in 15min so I better get moving since I got to whip the network card out of this and bundle it all up since have to return whole rig :wacko: )

I'm fine with basic soldering etc and have what I need for that, don't want us shipping though since p&p is usually high enough to bump price up to similar to UK and possibility of return or damage in transit makes more awkward. This country is backwards when in comes to technology (we got cd's late, we missed vcd completely, we missed quite a lot or got late)which is probably why prices high for "new" technlogy. I swear some places think electrical equipment works on magic as opposed to electricity hehehehe. Godd thing is about uk ignorance is sometimes highstreet stores price things wrong like a nvidia 9500gt 1Gb ram (or even lower 9 series) is higher price than 8800 512Mb ram because bigger number means better right!

As for rs232 found out last night brothers mate ordered one whilst I was viiting him yesterday, independant of me. He came in an said I just placed order, being nosy I asked what he was buying, an rs232 module for doing stuff to a drive he replied.........wtf? Unusual coincidence. Still going to find cheap enough one if I can though in case new drive goes an might come in handy.

Here is the link to the NewEgg page that has the firmware update for the ST31500341AS drive. You have to click on the product tour tab on the right side of the page above the product description and scroll down to get to it. I believe this might only apply to the 1.5TB drives though. One review says the firmware did not not help, but he got the click of death, not the problem we are facing:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148337

quattro150 & Death_Angel:

The company name is MDR. It is located in Kepong. I have just passed my hdd to the boss Mr. Yew this morning. He told me he will contact me tomorrow or Thursday if my data can be recovered. Well, let's see. Find out more about this company at http://www.mdr-xp.com/. You can get his contact on the website. Good luck!

Haha, I contacted MDR too but he told me he cannot fix this firmware issue yet.

If you are willing to pay RM700-800 to repair this, just 3 of us will be enough to cover the cost of HD Doctor!!!

I seriously don't mind buying the HD Doctor, but will need more people who are willing to 'pay' me in return to fix the hard disk using that utility to lower the cost on myself. Win-win for all. I'm sure there are more people out there having this problem. We can easily find 20 I'm sure if we look hard enough. Maybe many people gave up and just RMA-ed the drive. If I charge say RM100 to fix this, would you pay? (Then all I need is to find 16 people and it's all green lights!!)

The other advantage of buying the HD Doctor is that if the problem happen again; remember if this is f/w issue and if there is no f/w newer than SD15, what's stopping it from happening again?? Then paying DR companies another $$$$ to fix the same stupid problem?

The company name is MDR. It is located in Kepong. I have just passed my hdd to the boss Mr. Yew this morning. He told me he will contact me tomorrow or Thursday if my data can be recovered. Well, let's see. Find out more about this company at http://www.mdr-xp.com/. You can get his contact on the website. Good luck!

This was the comment given to me via email.

"Because this model 7200.11 having severe firmware problem that we are yet

capable to solve yet."

The last thing I want is for them to poke around and start swapping PCBs, and potentially wipe out the data. I just want to get it online again to get my data off it, and I'm through with Seagate forever!

Haha, I contacted MDR too but he told me he cannot fix this firmware issue yet.

If you are willing to pay RM700-800 to repair this, just 3 of us will be enough to cover the cost of HD Doctor!!!

I seriously don't mind buying the HD Doctor, but will need more people who are willing to 'pay' me in return to fix the hard disk using that utility to lower the cost on myself. Win-win for all. I'm sure there are more people out there having this problem. We can easily find 20 I'm sure if we look hard enough. Maybe many people gave up and just RMA-ed the drive. If I charge say RM100 to fix this, would you pay? (Then all I need is to find 16 people and it's all green lights!!)

The other advantage of buying the HD Doctor is that if the problem happen again; remember if this is f/w issue and if there is no f/w newer than SD15, what's stopping it from happening again?? Then paying DR companies another $$$$ to fix the same stupid problem?

Just got a shipment of new Seagate 1TB drives (ST31000333AS) with 3 platters instead of 4. This has firmware revision CC1F and is Manufactured in Thailand.

Why did Seagate change the firmware? Will there be an updated firmware release for the old drives?

Has anyone put together a simple step by step tutorial on how to fix the BUSY state problem? Has anyone actually fixed their HDD themselves?

If nothing eventful happens with this thread in the next 2 to 3 months, or action taken by Seagate (not holding my breath), I will likely purchase the Salvation Data HD Doctor kit.

I would like to be happy to fix other individuals drives as well for a small cost to help reduce my overall cost ($500 USD + shipping)

I live in western Canada, so feel free to PM me if this is an option people would like to persue.

Edited by Styleman

Care to lead the charge? I'll put my name down....

The only problem is that Seagate is not refusing to RMA the drive. Data backups are our responsibility, not Seagate's.

Maybe the scare of a lawsuit would be enough for Seagate to act. I keep hearing about a new firmware..... is it real?

Has anyone considered the fact that we most likely have enough people in the U.S. alone, not to mention worldwide, for a class-action suit on this...?

Just got a shipment of new Seagate 1TB drives (ST31000333AS) with 3 platters instead of 4. This has firmware revision CC1F and is Manufactured in Thailand.

Why did Seagate change the firmware? Will there be an updated firmware release for the old drives?

It needs a different firmware since it is a six head three platter drive instead of an eight head four platter drive.

Has anyone considered the fact that we most likely have enough people in the U.S. alone, not to mention worldwide, for a class-action suit on this...?
Care to lead the charge? I'll put my name down....

The only problem is that Seagate is not refusing to RMA the drive.

Good point, I forgot about that.

I keep hearing about a new firmware..... is it real?

I'm going to have to tentatively say Yes, it is real. I just got off the phone with Seagate support. I got in under slightly false pretenses. I called to ask about the difference between the 333AS series and the 340AS series. I already knew the answer but I used that as a way to segue into questions about the ST31000340AS problems. I was transferred to tech support and after several times on hold I was informed I needed the firmware. I am "supposed" to be receiving an email within 24 hours about how to update the SD15 firmware to I believe he said SN05.. But I can not quite remember... Here's hoping. If I actually get information on this from them, I WILL be posting here to let everyone know what's up.