Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

Put into facebook!! Any one dare?

Make backups if you already have these drives infected and not to buy more.

So you will help to your friends and their friends too.

Agreed I'm doing backups. I'm not going to touch Seagate drives anymore. I've already email and msged all my friends that have a lot of hard drives to give them heads ups. I suggest everyone do this if they haven't already.

A proposal:

I think this forum is to help us solve our problem, researching, communicating and providing useful information.

1 .- The new user can comment on the issue, stating the conditions under which it occurred, etc., but it is not necessary to repeat the same thing (by previous users).

2 .- Do not enlarge the size of the forum with useless comments, thanks, repetitions, and so on.

3 .- The "S/N list" grows exponentially the size of the forum (I think there are other methods to store a list).

4 .- I do not find this list useful because it will not help to solve the problem. I think it serves to Seagate as blacklists of warranties, and to recovery companies such as list of customers, offering services directly or indirectly through links to ACE or SD. These companies, in their forums have reduced the activity (and probably customers).

I agree.

What about to open a blog on the issue? While users here work to find a technical solution, we can make a page (or a post) with the dead list and people will be able to add their hd info by comments. Also, a website entirely focused on the issue may receive more media attention.

If anyone is interested in this, feel free to PM me.

The best method to complain isn't the "S/N list", it is say the problem. Send email to your friends, you say that you have had the problem.

Summary:

1 .- The manufacturer make a virus "timebomb".

2 .- To kidnap your data.

3 .- To retrieve only two companies: A. and S. (other companies are intermediates) or the manufacturer.

4 .- Or you pay the ransom or not you ever see photos of your travels, your marriage, your works, you docs, your videos, etc..

5 .- They say that this is legal? The warranty "yes", the kidnap "no"!!!!!.

I don't buy your theory; they lose far far much more knowingly shipping a defective product.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Specifcations (Data Sheet):

http://www.seagate.com/docs/pdf/datasheet/...uda_7200_11.pdf

Annualized Failure Rate 0.34%

Mean Time Between Failures (hours) 750,000

Then, if MTBF is 85 years. Ours problems are statistically normals?

Note: the "Data Sheet" is a contractual document similar to the label of the drive.

the statistical normal I was refering to is for hdd failures NOT resulting from or attributable this "timebomb bug" or whatever it is. There are no perfect hard drives; just poor, good, better and best- but even the best will have some failure rate. Production 10cent screws will have in a batch one or two that do not conform to specs- quality control is there to try to make that an increasingly remote possiblity- but the possibility remains-

Anyone care to recommend a never-fail hdd ?

The best method to complain isn't the "S/N list", it is say the problem. Send email to your friends, you say that you have had the problem.

Summary:

3 .- To retrieve only two companies: A. and S. (other companies are intermediates) or the manufacturer.

4 .- Or you pay the ransom or not you ever see photos of your travels, your marriage, your works, you docs, your videos, etc..

I don't buy your theory; they lose far far much more knowingly shipping a defective product.

Do you know who use the clean rooms?

1.- Integrated circuits manufacturers. (Example: S.)

2.- Hdds manufacturers. (Example: S.)

3.- Recovery Labs (Example: S.)

Do you knows how much cost a clean room?

And a factory?

And how can them amortize it?

Edited by pichi

I don't think they knowingly or purposely do this. I strongly believe (although I don't have any real facts to back it up) that this is some sort of a defect in the firmware code.

I'm sure they already incur a lot of cost for the RMA of all these drives, and I'm pretty sure by statistics, they would surely notice a higher rate of RMA of this drive.

I would NOT believe that they still think nothing is wrong with this.

However, if you think about it from their position:

1. Oh sh*t, firmware defect causes this

2. We can fix it, but if we fix this - what about existing users whose hard disk are BSY and 0 LBA?

3. As a result of releasing #2, then they might end up with a huge problem for the entire batch of 7200.11 SD15s - what if they are forced to provide a fix for all (to those who cannot access data in their BSY/0 LBA drives)

4. The costs for #3 will be astronomical

So as some have mentioned, maybe releasing 7200.12 is a way to bypass this.

Just my crazy conspiracy theories. Please do not take any of the above as truth!!

Summary:

I don't think they knowingly or purposely do this. I strongly believe (although I don't have any real facts to back it up) that this is some sort of a defect in the firmware code.

I'm sure they already incur a lot of cost for the RMA of all these drives, and I'm pretty sure by statistics, they would surely notice a higher rate of RMA of this drive.

- Lowering of PC sales around worldwide.

- Investment very high in the purchase of Maxtor.

- Falling prices due to competition.

- Warehouses full of hard drives that are depreciated.

(RMA cost example: A 500GB disk today, within 3 years costs to the manufacturer 4 times less if is broken, and 8 if firmware error).

Shipping cost from China are more cheap than from a country to China.

I think that them have wrong the failure rate (too high).

So as some have mentioned, maybe releasing 7200.12 is a way to bypass this.

If a new buyer see 7200.12, then thinks, ... the problem is in 7200.11 (not in 7200.12) and then he buys it. WRONG, the problem continue...

Why S. has update the firmware from SD04 and SD14 to AD14?

Why S. doesn't update SD15 to other version repaired?

If SD14 hasn't got the timebomb, I want downdate my firmware to SD14. Why I cannot do it?

Why them do not publish the firmware downdate?

Edited by pichi

Summary:

Laz, u ignorant b***h i personally think they knew a year ago ,, worst yet they definitely knew before shipping out 1T and 1.5T , wait until all those poor saps poor all their 80gb's,60gb,100gb and combine them into the big one's , and then blammo....it will be ugly....sorry for calling you a b***h but dont ever assume, just look at chronological events...

Anyone care to recommend a never-fail hdd ?

I'm starting to think I want those SSD's to come down in price. This is ridiculous in this day and age we are using this same old technology from 1956. Maybe it's time to dump theses old school drives.

Edited by SeaGAYBarracuTARD

whoa timha, relax dude. we are all in the same boat, so no need to get too worked up with one another.

let's continue to focus on solving this and we can all say goodbye to seagate forever.

Summary:

Laz, u ignorant b***h i personally think they knew a year ago ,, worst yet they definitely knew before shipping out 1T and 1.5T , wait until all those poor saps poor all their 80gb's,60gb,100gb and combine them into the big one's , and then blammo....it will be ugly....sorry for calling you a b***h but dont ever assume, just look at chronological events...

I'm starting to think I want those SSD's to come down in price. This is ridiculous in this day and age we are using this same old technology from 1956. Maybe it's time to dump theses old school drives.

Well, we're still using microchips and keyboards too. SSD drives have a whole host of problems inherent in the technology. While they may not fail as frequently, when they do, data recovery is that much harder, and in some cases, a spike may simply wipe the data out completely.

Only time will tell, but I don't think hard drives will be made completely redundant any time soon.

I suspect this thread will grow to at least 50 pages long before any new progress will be gained. Sorry I don't mean to shoot down Fatlip, pichi or any other people who are working on this issue. You guys are the best keep up the good work.

Just stating that more and more new people will come in and say "Hi i am also a victim" or rant about how to destroy/curse/boycott Seagate. Thats good actually in a way to gather more people with the same problem but soon it will be difficult for us and new victims to actually follow the progress in how to recover our beloved data.