Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

What about me living in New Zealand? Should I make a overseas phone call? Where is the seagate New Zealand's support phone call number?

Can anyone posted their firmware update url on this thread to save me to rescue my hard drive quickly? It is so hard to backup nearly 1tb hard drive. It will require around 200 dvd+r disk and lots of time sitting in front of the pc to do backup. I am not against backup. Just I am lazey. I know it is bad. But I think it is ok.

Thanks

Regards

Leigh

I just got off a chat session with seagate. here is the offical message :

If this is in reference to the Seagate Knowledge Base article concerning the certain families
of Seagate and Maxtor hard drives, unfortunately, a firmware update is not available yet.
Our engineers are currently working on the issue now, and they are looking at having the
firmware updates available, hopefully at the later part of next week. As to which serial
numbers of these drives that are affected by this, they are working on a addition to the
web site for a serial number checker that should be up by Monday. When the serial checker
is online, you can put in the serial number, and it will tell you if the drive associated with that
serial number is affected by this firmware issue. If it's not affected, then you'll be good to go.
If it is affected, it will say so, then you will need to call into 1-800-Seagate, have the model
number, serial number, and part number ready when you call. Because this is a large issue
affecting a large number of consumers and partners, we would request that you address this
issue only when you call, so that we can assist as many as possible and expedite the
resolution of this issue quickly.
Thank you for contacting Seagate.

Thank you for using Seagate products. You may now close this window.

looks like they are looking at it.

great, have to ring them again! stupid thing is i spent 3 hours on the phone to them about this issue already and they would not acknowledge it!!! i do not want to be going through that again

in terms of the number, it is a freephone number so you should be able to ring it from new zealand if you get the right extension. personally, i am in the UK and i rang it through skype no problems and didnt get charged

in terms of the number, it is a freephone number so you should be able to ring it from new zealand if you get the right extension. personally, i am in the UK and i rang it through skype no problems and didnt get charged

I think that Telecom New Zealand still will charge me. I can not find landline term. The reference is for mobile phone.

Reference:

http://www.telecomroaming.co.nz/TermsConditions.aspx

Anyway what is the point for Seagate to ask their customer to call them to get a free firmware? It just waste their resource and my time and money. They want to keep their support center's job? That is the only reason I can think of. I heard from tomshardware that seagate got their staff redunant before this hard drive's problem disclosed.

My college told me that his hard drive was broken which is the exact model mentioned here and he personally sent back to the shop and waiting for Seagate's assessment and not get the drive back now. My understanding is that the good practise the shop should just simply swap a new hard drive for the customer. The shop should not let the customer waiting the hard drive for months.

I think that Telecom New Zealand still will charge me. I can not find landline term. The reference is for mobile phone.

The good thing is, you could email them for free. One person posted here saying that these cases are granted priority...

Contact Seagate via email

Edited by icefloe01

For those wanting to scream at someone I suggest you go to the Contact Us page in Seagate.com (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/) and click on Media. There are a couple of people you could email:

COMMUNITY RELATIONS

elena.sexton@seagate.com

ian.o'leary@seagate.com

lotus.tan@seagate.com

Consumer Solutions Division / Seagate and Maxtor Retail / Storage Solutions

nathan.papadopulos@seagate.com

siobhan.m.lyons@seagate.com

Desktop and Notebook Storage

michael.hall@seagate.com

I already emailed all them. Make them hear your pain, let's make their mail inboxes get full with our complaints. :realmad:

If they don't want to hear about it so be it. One email per drive dead should be a reasonable punishment!!!

Reference:

Anyway what is the point for Seagate to ask their customer to call them to get a free firmware? It just waste their resource and my time and money. They want to keep their support center's job? That is the only reason I can think of. I heard from tomshardware that seagate got their staff redunant before this hard drive's problem disclosed.

My college told me that his hard drive was broken which is the exact model mentioned here and he personally sent back to the shop and waiting for Seagate's assessment and not get the drive back now. My understanding is that the good practise the shop should just simply swap a new hard drive for the customer. The shop should not let the customer waiting the hard drive for months.

Stop whinging and just send an email to seagate via their website. I am in Australia, so it's not much different for either of us. What is the point of your colleague getting a new hard disk with the same firmware bug for the old one? It's up to Seagate to fix the problem, not the retail store.

What about me living in New Zealand? Should I make a overseas phone call? Where is the seagate New Zealand's support phone call number?

Can anyone posted their firmware update url on this thread to save me to rescue my hard drive quickly? It is so hard to backup nearly 1tb hard drive. It will require around 200 dvd+r disk and lots of time sitting in front of the pc to do backup. I am not against backup. Just I am lazey. I know it is bad. But I think it is ok.

Thanks

Regards

Leigh

Why not get two cheap 500 gig laptop drives for the USB port and backup to that? Then you don't need 200 DVDs or blurays at 25gigs each

Thanks

Regards

Leigh

Why not get two cheap 500 gig laptop drives for the USB port and backup to that? Then you don't need 200 DVDs or blurays at 25gigs each

You may understand that I should not trust any hard drive. I think dvd+r is far more safe bet than hard drive. blurays is far more dear than dvd+r.

BTW, all I want now is a Western Digital 2tb, so I can copy everything to it from the 1tb seagate one. But 2tb is not available in New Zealand for now.

From reading the seagate forum, I think they can simply ignore your email whatever if they wish. Reading the post here, they deleted the post if not their taste on seagate forum. I don't want to be treated this way.

Let's make it simple, I realy wish someone here post a url to the new firmware after next Tuesday if seagate release the firmware to save my time. I think that won't break any confidential contract/license and won't damage anyone.

Regards

Leigh

Reference:

Stop whinging and just send an email to seagate via their website. I am in Australia, so it's not much different for either of us. What is the point of your colleague getting a new hard disk with the same firmware bug for the old one? It's up to Seagate to fix the problem, not the retail store.

So guys is it anyone that have sent their affected drive to Seagate for free data recovery on a replacement drive yet?

I would like to know how im gonna do to get this service so i can get my data back on a new working drive.

For your information i have also laid 2 cases on their site one to claim the free recovery on new drive and also get hold on the firmware update.

Edited by frallanfree