Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 Troubles

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1247 replies to this topic

fatlip

fatlip

Junior

• Pip
  • 55 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
YEP!!

Is this the right part?

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Death_Angel

Death_Angel

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Fuzzy_3D,

Where did you get that RS232 part?

icefloe01

icefloe01

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Well I finally received a (misinformed) reply from Seagate. For some reason they think I already have the most recent SN05 firmware. I emailed them back to let them know this is not correct. According to the label AND SeaTools for DOS (I can't run the Win version thanks to Seagate's shortsightedness on compiling a 64bit version). Now I'll have to wait again to see if they'll send me the SN05 firmware.

Something that came to mind, how many people with the BSY problem are running a RAID array and how many are using the drive as stand-alone storage / single main drive? I ask because most of the posts I've seen indicate the problems are cropping up with RAID'ed drives and that was the first thing Seagate said to do, disable RAID. Interesting...

sarahcoco

sarahcoco

• 14 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

Well I finally received a (misinformed) reply from Seagate. For some reason they think I already have the most recent SN05 firmware. I emailed them back to let them know this is not correct. According to the label AND SeaTools for DOS (I can't run the Win version thanks to Seagate's shortsightedness on compiling a 64bit version). Now I'll have to wait again to see if they'll send me the SN05 firmware.

Something that came to mind, how many people with the BSY problem are running a RAID array and how many are using the drive as stand-alone storage / single main drive? I ask because most of the posts I've seen indicate the problems are cropping up with RAID'ed drives and that was the first thing Seagate said to do, disable RAID. Interesting...

In my case, it's a standalone drive.

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
I use my own 3.3V RS232 adapter with MAX3232 (and 2 in series resistances of 1K for protection).
Other people uses 5V power supply with general purpose MAX232, ADM202, etc.

SOME RS232 ADAPTERS ON EBAY (there are a lot of RS232 converters):
1.- 3.3V or 5.0V compatible, with MAX3232
http://cgi.ebay.es/R...T...A1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.es/R...t...A1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.es/R...T...A1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.es/M...o...A1|240:1318
2.- MAX232 and 5V:
http://cgi.ebay.es/M...n...A1|240:1318
http://cgi.ebay.es/M...-...A1|240:1318

Good searching methods on ebay:
MAX3232
MAX232
And order by lower price first

poolcarpet

poolcarpet

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09
I'm using it as standalone drive. I don't think it's got to do with RAID. RAID is external to the drive, the drive just communicates with the host which may be the SATA controller or a SATA RAID controller.

killerB

killerB
  • 7 posts
  • Joined 06-January 09
I read interesting post today. But I don't know if this help our problem...

(first of all, I'm sorry that my poor english. ^^)

(from RAID, SCIS, SSD distribution company)
http://www.andico.co...d...c=asc&no=21

2009/01/07 "Important : There is 2 7200.11 series."
there is 2 version of 7200.11 series.

1. old 7200.11
2. new 7200.11 (generation 2)

Old Seagate 7200.11 (firmware SD15) has problem with RAID Card(Especially Intel IOP348 chipset).

Seagate ES.2 also had same issue. So Seagate released new firmware "AN05".
Now, ES.2 don't have firmware problem anymore.

But Seagate don't develope new firmware to fix problem for 7200.11.
They say "If you wanna RAID, you should use ES.2".

Here's problem when use old Seagate 7200.11(SD15) :

- CRC Error (Command Abort)
- HDD Missing

Model:
500GB ST3500320AS
500GB ST3500620AS
640GB ST3640630AS
640GB ST3640330AS
750GB ST3750330AS
750GB ST3750630AS
1TB ST31000640AS
1TB ST31000340AS

But Newest 7200.11 "GEN2" don't have RAID problem.
This harddisk has New "ASIC" & "Firmware"

Model:
1.5TB ST31500341AS
1TB ST31000333AS
640GB ST3640323AS
640GB ST3640623AS
320GB ST3320613AS
320GB ST3320813AS
160GB ST3160813AS

1.5TB model still has freezing problem.
Solution is that update firmware to "SD1A" or "CC1H" firmware.
SD1A/CC1H firmware don't have freezing problem.

Edited by killerB, 07 January 2009 - 07:51 AM.

Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D

• 43 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

Fuzzy_3D,

Where did you get that RS232 part?

I found it here on eBay

None of my local electronic shops had one.
Posted Image

icefloe01

icefloe01

Junior

• Pip
  • 61 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09

RAID is external to the drive, the drive just communicates with the host which may be the SATA controller or a SATA RAID controller.

That's partially correct. While RAID is external to the drive, it still has to do with how it communicates with the drive. I seem to remember that were some drives out there that because of their own firmware, they could not be RAID'ed. I'll look up the specific cases later, I'm at work right now and can't use too much internet time for it...

Styleman

Styleman

• 14 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Anyone try this tool once the drive has been cleared of BSY and in a 0 LBA state?

http://hddguru.com/c...y-Restore-Tool/

Even if this does work (long shot), I'm not sure what this might do to any data on the drive.

User beware.

Death_Angel

Death_Angel

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Hmm, sound promising, anyone willing to use their hdd as a guinea pig?

Anyone try this tool once the drive has been cleared of BSY and in a 0 LBA state?

Even if this does work (long shot), I'm not sure what this might do to any data on the drive.

User beware.

quattro150

quattro150

• 23 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
I'm no HDD expert, but I think this tool is for those who have set HPA (Host Protected Area) to some large value, and then want to recover those lost space.
Unfortunately in our case, the factory size is reported as 0GB, so I don't think this tool will work... :(

But I'd really be happy if someone proves me wrong... :)

User beware.

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

User beware.

I think that wont works.
HDD Capacity restore tools change current HPA to factory NPHA, as setmax, hdat2, taft or victoria too.
The problem is the translator that convert 28 bits CHS to 48 bits LBA.
This translator is in the Host Protected Area (HPA). In this case (ST3500320AS on x86 computers) this area is at end of the hdd (last 2113 sectors).
There are 1081856 hiddens bytes.
HPA detected: current 976771055, native 976773168
Modify HPA is a littel dangerous (HPA can pass from 48 bits to 28 bits and after that HPA of 28 bits cannot pass to 48 bits).
DiscWizard is the only tool of the manufacturer that works correctly with the translator (inside of HPA).

pichi

pichi

• PipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Is there any developer or programmer here?
I want develope tools for obtain drive info and parameters through serial port.

quattro150

quattro150

• 23 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
we're famous...

http://www.avsforum....d.php?t=1105026

What's your take on this? Still think we can recover our precious data?
I'm still optimistic...

poolcarpet

poolcarpet

• PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • Joined 02-January 09
i wouldn't try this if you still want the data on the hard disk. plus another point to consider, if you run this and brick it, you might not be able to RMA the drive.... so it's double whammy.

be very very careful!!!

I'm no HDD expert, but I think this tool is for those who have set HPA (Host Protected Area) to some large value, and then want to recover those lost space.
Unfortunately in our case, the factory size is reported as 0GB, so I don't think this tool will work... :(

But I'd really be happy if someone proves me wrong... :)

User beware.

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04
Oh hai.

I'm one more with this BSY bug (I think!)

2009 is a bad year for me, lost ALL my data in this ST31000340AS drive. Exactly in January 1st.

Anyway, I have done some job in my disk. I've removed the BSY stat and flashed the firmware to AD15. But the this isn't recognized yet. So I must clear SMART, G-List, etc etc.

The interesting part is that I have updated the firmware through an identical ST31000340AS drive. Changed logical boards and fireup the Firmware update O.O

Worked and won't destroy any data in the good hard disk.

PS: Sorry bad english, I'm exausted and english is not my native language, I'm brazilian so I speak portuguese.

Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D

• 43 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09

The interesting part is that I have updated the firmware through an identical ST31000340AS drive. Changed logical boards and fireup the Firmware update O.O

PS: Sorry bad english, I'm exausted and english is not my native language, I'm brazilian so I speak portuguese.

So were you able to recover the data off the failed drive?

I've tried a PCB swap to no avail, but the boards were noticeably different anyway.
Posted Image

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

So were you able to recover the data off the failed drive?

I've tried a PCB swap to no avail, but the boards were noticeably different anyway.

Unfortunatelly not. Because the 7200.11 don't start with logical board change :(

The drive tries to initialize but the motor stops after some head tickling noise.

Conclusion: My 2 logical boards are fine, and the 2 disks are fine too. So it's the freakin BSY bug :(

Death_Angel

Death_Angel

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
I wonder if this affects China version of these models?

I have two China ones, a 1TB and a 500GB. I hope they won't experience the same problem as the Thailand one.

Any of you guys out there, having this problem and is NOT made in Thailand?

ViniciusFerrao

ViniciusFerrao

• 46 posts
  • Joined 27-November 04

I wonder if this affects China version of these models?

I have two China ones, a 1TB and a 500GB. I hope they won't experience the same problem as the Thailand one.

Any of you guys out there, having this problem and is NOT made in Thailand?

Thailand here. But this is a firmware problem, so it's replicable to all disks. If was a hardware failure, OK. But it's not. (IMO)

Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D

• 43 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
I've got a ST31000340AS from China that's not being recognized.
Bought it on August 22nd, failed on Dec 23rd. Christmas eve, the day before I got an external drive from Santa.
Posted Image

Death_Angel

Death_Angel

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Does your computer hdd led stay constantly on all the time when this hdd is plugged in?

I've got a ST31000340AS from China that's not being recognized.
Bought it on August 22nd, failed on Dec 23rd. Christmas eve, the day before I got an external drive from Santa.

quattro150

quattro150

• 23 posts
  • Joined 03-January 09
Strange... I'm hearing a lot of people having drives fail around Christmas time... so did mine... Dec 23rd... strange... and mine was bought in January...

Death_Angel

Death_Angel

• 17 posts
  • Joined 04-January 09
Mine happen between Nov and Dec.

I realize this as well, so i though its a timebomb issue. I tried changing the BIOS clock to a few months back and connect the hdd again but still cannot detect.

I guess what is bombed is bombed. Wish I could time travel back and backup my data.

Strange... I'm hearing a lot of people having drives fail around Christmas time... so did mine... Dec 23rd... strange... and mine was bought in January...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users