A new way to install Nero 9 silent

Here is something I was workining hard to solve: how to install any nero 9 app for example "Nero Burning rom" or "Nero Stsrtsmart" from one of the seperate .msi installers without setupx.exe. These installers are found when you extract the full downloaded packege of nero 9. In the folder you find folders named "unit_app_4", "unit_app_5" and so on.

Inside the unit_app folders you find cab files and an .msi installer. If you try to execute the .msi you recieve an error stating this program can only be started from "setupx.exe".

This is most distubing since what would seem to be the only option is to go through nero's set up process which is time consuming and annoying.

However I have discovered a way to choose the applications I like for example Nero burning rom which is the files in "unit_app_4" and install any one of these apps directly from the .msi installer.

To do this you will need an .msi windows installer editor. The one I use is "ORCA" which is available from microsoft and comes with the windows installer sdk.

The first thing to do is edit the .msi. The .msi in the folder to burning rom is labled "unit.msi" as are all the .msi installers for each app. Open orca. Drag and drop "unit.msi" onto orca.

On the left hand tables select "custom action'. On the right hand window under "action" select "CA_BeforeDeferredFinalizexxInstall". Right click on this and then delete it.

post-216316-1231250878_thumb.jpg

Now find in the left hand "table" "launch condition". Right click on it and select "drop table".

post-216316-1231250993_thumb.jpg

Save the changes and exit orca.

You should now be able to install the application with the modified installer be clicking on it.

After running the install you should find folders and files in "program files" and "program files\common files" but there will be no shortcuts.

We are not finished.

If you go to the folder that contains "nero.exe" don't even try it becouse it won't work.

Nero applications will only work with a serial key and a crucial file which must be registerd.

You need this file: "AdvrCntr4.dll". In ordern to get this file you will have to run the full packege installer or setupx.exe. When you get to the first welcome to nero page go to your temp folder and you will find a folder named "nro.tmp". Open this folder select "AdvrCntr4.dll" and move it to "program files\common files".

Open a commaned prompt. Change the directory to "program files\common files"(CD %systemdrive%\program files\common files)

Type "regsvr32 AdvrCntr4.dll"

It will confirm that the file is registered.

Now you need your serial.

Open a command. Type REG ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Nero\Shared\NL9 /v Serial9_1223131541 /d 1111-2222-3333-4444-5555-6666-7777-8888

Substitute these intergers with your key.

You may need the product id which is under the same key. The easiest way to enter it along with the serial is to install nero with the normal installer or setupx.exe go through the process and then export the key containing the product id and serial from registry editor.

(Be carful not to use the nero product id from vista on xp becouse they are different.)

Your application should now work. :thumbup

--This edit is for people who modified their .msi but still can not launch it directly. This behavior only occurs if the .msi you edited has bean used previously.--

The reason for this is the .msi was executed before it was modified and the data base located in c:\windows\installer

is still refering to the previosly executed unmodified .msi.

To create a new data base find the .msi in the c:\windows\installer folder and delete it but thats hard to find so just move the installer folder somewhere outside of c:\windows, create a new folder in c:\windows named installer and execute the modified .msi which will create a new data base then move the installer folder you moved out of c:\windows back to c:\windows. The .msi should now execute directly.

Edited by COOLCOMPUTERGUY

Hm, that's what I tried:

I modified the MSI using a Transform and I had to change some more things to make it work.

In table properties:

PDD_LANG_CHS = False

PDD_LANG_CHT = False

etc. ....

I had to set all languages other than German and English to false. Otherwise I got an error message which said that some language files are missing.

Another thing I had to change was in table CustomAction. I deleted the row AudibleAAInstall because this action caused an error during 'Installation finalize' which leaded to rollback. Actually I don't really know if this will have any effect on the applications behaviour. Maybe someone knows the function of SMC_AReadyLB_Nero.dll?

So finally the installation completed successfully and I copied and registered the 3 DLLs (BCGPOleAcc.dll, NeroAPI.dll, AdvrCntr4.dll) mentioned above and imported the registry key containing the serial number. But when I double-click nero.exe nothing happens. The application doesn't start and there is no message popping up. Could that have something to do with the CA I deleted?

After being unsuccessful using the NAR tool to get this **** setup silent I was very hopeful this method would lead to success.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi All,

I've tried several ways to achieve the silent installation of Nero 9, including the one in this post. But sofar it's unsuccessful because once I import the registry keys for the serial I get the following error:

If i initialize setup from setupx then everything is working just fine and the serial is not a problem either. So I don't have a clue right now of as where it goes wrong and haven't found a solution after reading all day about it. I assume I'm missing something. Hope someone can shed a light on the subject. :D

I used the following folders from the extraction:

Unit_app_4

unit_app_30

unit_app_61

unit_app_63

unit_tpi_imagxpress-7.0.74.0

unit_tpi_lightscribe-1.14.17.1

Also left setupx.exe, setup.xml and ipclog.exe in the same root folder as these unit_app folders.

Would be very greatfull.. :)

post-229963-1243182969_thumb.jpg

Edited by dreamline