Whats the difference

PROBLEMCHYLD

It may sound crazy but whats the difference between Wi-fi and Wireless.

I getting some refurbished laptops and i'm not sure if i need a wi-fi card or a wireless card.

please list any cards that works on Win98SE. if i can't find a card that works i probably won't get them.

Thanx guys.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Hi,

Here's my take on the problem.

Wi-Fi refers to wireless LAN or 802.11x

Wireless refers to HSDPA over the mobile phone network which is a WAN

or alternatively you can subscribe to the "Alice in Wonderland School of English" and mix them up to your own satisfaction and the utter confusion of everyone :wacko:

--

Sweet William

Wi-Fi (short for "wireless fidelity") is a term for certain types of wireless local area network (WLAN) that use specifications in the 802.11 family. The term Wi-Fi was created by an organization called the Wi-Fi Alliance, which oversees tests that certify product interoperability. A product that passes the alliance tests is given the label "Wi-Fi certified" (a registered trademark).

Wireless can be anything. Bluetooth is wireless, HSDPA, 3G, you can have wireless keyboards etc.

Basically "wireless" refers to any remote device/peripheral/terminal/computer linked thru 1-way/2-way radio, infrared (IR) or laser waves [facilitated by a transmitter/receiver chipset/combo] to other device(s)/peripheral(s)/terminal(s)/computer(s).

Literally wireless means "without wires" = actual term.

Advantage:

longer distance reach, requires less advanced technology [cheaper]

Disadvantage:

less accurate, less data

Wireless @ Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless

Basically "Wi-Fi" is a newer/better wireless standard [controlled by the Wi-Fi Alliance], uses higher frequency [hence higher "fidelity"] radio waves, which allows more [and eventually more secure] data to be streamed into the same transmission.

Literally Wi-Fi means "wireless fidelity" = only a "catchy" slogan.

Advantage:

more accurate, more data

Disadvantage:

shorter distance reach, requires more advanced technology [more expensive = but mass produced makes it more affordable]

Wi-Fi @ Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-fi

HTH