Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Autodetecting different hardware unattended?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

goomba_1

goomba_1
  • 4 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
I am making a grand unattended CD and when I get to the unattended $OEM$\install things to get to I have a number of things that need to be installed as driver packages and not just detected as *.infs earlier in the process. Once I am executing things using the INSTALLS.CMD method, how do I detect different hardware? The only one I know for sure is

IF EXIST "%systemroot%\system32\nvaudio.nvu" start /wait %systemdrive%\drivers\nforce\Setup.exe

Which looks if it uses Nforce Audio and installs the driver package manually if its there so the control panel loads with windows and skips installing all the other potential chipset packages (intel/via for instance.)

I'd just like to know if there was a similar way to detect the following (with an "IF EXIST" detect or otherwise)

chipsets: Intel, Via, Nforce
graphics: ATI, Nvidia

I know how to use IF EXIST with a goto statement to only install one package but I need to detect them in the first place. I want this CD to be able to tell the difference between, say, an Intel system with a Radeon and an Nforce system with a Geforce so it only executes two of the appropriate driver packages silently from the potential five. Anyone know how to? Thanks ahead of time

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

jdeboeck

jdeboeck

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Joined 13-October 03
All drivers can be installed from an INF file (yes ALL) placed in $OEM$.
Some (intel chipset drivers for instance) hide these inf files inside a setup program, but they are ALWAYS there.

For intel chipsets there is a switch in the setup program to unpack the complete drivers, so you can use them. Even if a driver can only be installed with the setup program, its likely that the correct INF, will be copied by the setup program, along with the SYS and DLL files. It just takes some time to find them all...

Dont spend time detecting hardware from batchfiles. Spend time finding the driver.

EDIT: this only applies for ''drivers'', not the utilities that come with your hardware... for instance intel netcards have a driver (=inf file) but also a config utility (intel proset) which can only be installed with the exe...

EDIT: also make sure if a driver is worth installing, intel chipset drivers just rename the devices, and keep the generic driver.

Nich

Nich

• 42 posts
  • Joined 21-September 03
I use the following to work out whether or not to install the ATI control panel. with :app being the rest of the script to install other apps.

I assume you could use a similar approach, and, if you're confident that there's an nvidia card if no ATI card is installed, run whatever nvidia installers from, say, :atino
set APPS=%systemdrive%\install\applications

if exist %systemdrive%\windows\system32\atiddc.dll goto atiyes
if not exist %systemdrive%\windows\system32\atiddc.dll goto atino

:ATIYES
ECHO.
ECHO ATI drivers detected.
ECHO Installing ATI Control Panel.
ECHO Please Wait...
start /wait %apps%\ati_cp_3_6\Setup.exe -s -f1"%systemdrive%\install\applications\ati_cp_3_6\setup.iss"
goto app

:ATINO
ECHO No ATI Drivers detected.
ECHO ATI Control Panel won't be installed.
goto app
If you want to worry about chipset driver installation, I'm not sure. I extracted the nforce2 drivers to a bunch of seperate folders, and simply pointed to each one in winnt.sif, under OemPnPDriversPath=
Life is not an option, it is a gift. Death is the option. -- Frank Herbert

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users