Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of User:fail reason/fine:OS:PSU

5QM2****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09105:WUXISG:10/21/08:NOT YET:OEM:bigjimmcbob:CANADA:file:DSN-323(Linux based):N/A

Been using this drive in my DSN-323 acts as a nightly backup server. No issues yet.

Not sure how the Dlink DSN-323 is designed (Bios etc) or how it detects drives and what SATA commands it uses/supports.

Mine failed on jan 15th. I went online to get review to buy another and found the news. Bought Western Digital inseated of another on of these. Never again will I buy another Seagate when they fail to be forthcoming about these issues.

90j13858:ST31000340AS:9BX158:SD15:08527:KRATSG:Aug08:1/15/09:OEM:chrisbkr:USA:FAILURE-BIOS NO-Detect:WinVista:650W pwr suply

For those wanting to scream at someone I suggest you go to the Contact Us page in Seagate.com (http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/about/contact_us/) and click on Media. There are a couple of people you could email:

COMMUNITY RELATIONS

elena.sexton@seagate.com

ian.o'leary@seagate.com

lotus.tan@seagate.com

Consumer Solutions Division / Seagate and Maxtor Retail / Storage Solutions

nathan.papadopulos@seagate.com

siobhan.m.lyons@seagate.com

Desktop and Notebook Storage

michael.hall@seagate.com

I already emailed all them. Make them hear your pain, let's make their mail inboxes get full with our complaints. :realmad:

If they don't want to hear about it so be it. One email per drive dead should be a reasonable punishment!!!

failed this morning in nederland

bought in september

9qm6146s st3500320as 9bx154-303 sd15 09075 kratsg 5000c5000daf4d71

booting takes 10 times longer. no detect in bios.

luckaly only torrents and games where lost.

2 other barracudas are still good. 1 of them is now 1 year old.

the hd that failed was making noise alot with parking or something during windows sessions.

Edited by bertm

Mine failed on jan 15th. I went online to get review to buy another and found the news. Bought Western Digital inseated of another on of these. Never again will I buy another Seagate when they fail to be forthcoming about these issues.

90j13858:ST31000340AS:9BX158:SD15:08527:KRATSG:Aug08:1/15/09:OEM:chrisbkr:USA:FAILURE-BIOS NO-Detect:WinVista:650W pwr suply

Strange thing is: when I enter your serial number in seagates online checker, they say your drivbe is not affected. Wo how much can you trust that tool?

http://support.seagate.com/sncheck.html

Let's share our results here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128793

Thanks a lot for this thread, my 500GB failed a few days ago, showing OGB. Bought last Oktober. Here we go:

Number:Serial N°:Model:Part N°:Firmware:DateCode:SiteCode:PurchaseDate:FailedDate:OEM/RETAIL:UserName:Country of the User: fail reason/fine

XX:9QM68R5A:ST3500320AS:9BX134-505:SD25:09085:KRATSG:2008-10-01:2008-01-03:RETAIL:wirefall:Germany:showing 0GB: Win XP Home:500 W pwr supply

I`ve used it via RAID 1, so no data loss :) *knock on wood*

Now I'm thinking about sending it to seagate for a cahange, but what about my data? What about the possibility of misusing by the people at seagate ...

Hi folks,

I just registered because I have one of those Seagate Drives.

xx:5QJ1****:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:AD14:09127:WUXISG:2008-10-15:2008-01-18:OEM:donnerzusel:Germany:Failed AFTER Firmware Upgrade recommended by Seagate:Linux 2.6.28:Enermax PRO82+ 425W

Strange thing:

I had a chat yesterday with one of those Seagate guys. At that time, I had Firmware SD15 running and the drive was running fine.

He affirmed that my drive (see above) is affected by the firmware issue. He gave me a link to a firmware update and a certificate number to access that page. I asked him if it is safe to "upgrade" the firmware from version SD15 to AD14 because I've read some posts of bricked hard drives. He assured me that the upgrade is necessary and safe to do.

So I created the bootable CD, powered down the computer, disconnected everything except a CD drive and the Seagate HDD and started the upgrade. Everything went fine, I powered down the computer as requested, waited for some minutes and powered it on again.

Well, and with the new firmware the BIOS reports an error while trying to access the Seagate HDD. I tried this hard disk in several other machines, it doesn't work anymore.

Edit:

Strangely, the BIOS still reports the full capacity of the drive, but refuses to boot if the drive is connected and reports "HARD DISK ERROR". If I put the power cable into the drive just after the POST, the computer boots happily from my first HDD (the faulty Seagate drive is just for data). The Seagate drive is unaccessible from Windows (it contains only ext3-partitions, but it is not shown in the Hardware tabs or the Drive Management) as well as from Linux. Linux is able to see and identify the drive and capacity, it reports the new firmware version (AD14) but hangs if I try to access the sectors on it.

If I boot from the Seagate Firmware-Upgrade CD (using the same trick as above: replug the power after POST), the Flash-Tool recognizes the Hard Drive and is able to flash the AD14 firmware again. But it is unaccessible as well.

So maybe I'm doing something wrong here or Seagate has some issues with the "new" firmware.

Oh, and the online tool at the Seagate page where you put in the Serial number, tells me that my drive is affected.

Of course, I backed up the data before flashing, so I don't suffer from data loss.

/Edit

Long story short:

-ST31000340AS with Firmware SD15 (working)

-Seagate support acknowledged that the drive is affected

-Seagate support suggests firmware upgrade to AD14

-upgraded firmware, drive bricked.

Thank you, Seagate.

Edited by donnerzusel

Perhaps it would be interesting to add a column with the "affected" status as reported by http://support.seagate.com/sncheck.html , to get an idea about how good this S/N check actually is. It seems that there are drives that are found by it as "not affected" but have failed with the symptoms that started this discussion. (See also: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=828094 )

My drive:

5QM3****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:09142:?:WUXISG:2009-01-06:N/A:OEM:ciobi:Romania:fine:Linux

(My drive was working OK, but I took it out to avoid bricking it; I'll put it back when this mess gets sorted out.)

failed today

bought in november (Russia, Moscow)

1:5QJ0QHZ7:ST31000340AS:9BX158-303:SD15:09056:2008-10-09:WUXISG:2008-11-01:2009-01-18:N/A:aalexandre:Russia:(no detect in bios):winXP

Noted that before death I fulled totally full disk - luckaly these were only torrents

2 other barracudas are still good (s/n start 9QJ0 ...) and online serial checker says they are not affected. They were bought in june-july

9QK0****:ST3750330AS:9BX156-303:SD15:08495:KRATSG:2008-07-01:2009-08-14:OEM:Gradius2:Chile:POST error (it recognize, but returns error on POST)

9QK0****:ST3750330AS:9BX156-303:SD15:09023:KRATSG:2008-08-10:2009-08-14:OEM:Gradius2:Chile:BSY error

9QK0****:ST3750330AS:9BX156-303:SD15:09023:KRATSG:2008-08-10:2009-08-14:OEM:Gradius2:Chile:BSY error

Gradius

First of all: Thanks to all new members for sharing your 7200.11 data with us!

Second point: Please pay attention to the particular unfortunate experience below, which was reported by donnerzusel:

Long story short:

-ST31000340AS with Firmware SD15 (working)

-Seagate support acknowledged that the drive is affected

-Seagate support suggests firmware upgrade to AD14

-upgraded firmware, drive bricked.

Thank you, Seagate.

We have repeatedly warned for the dangers of "upgrading" your firmware from SD15 to AD14, but now even some seagate support employees appear to be making this mistake.

Edited by DerSnoezie

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=207931 has been updated with links (by drive model) to firmware downloads.

The firmware for some models is still being QA'd.

On a local forum, people are getting errors trying to do the firmware update, one guy tried 3 different PCs without success...

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-repli...1&p=12#r240

Please post your results, good or bad...

EDIT: Looks like Seagate stuffed the release...

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/messag...e.id=5287#M5287

Edited by Karlston

registered just to post this: bought mine durng July of 2008. been running more than 12h 24/7 since then, no problems at all

btw: How do I find out the Part N°? Drive Detect nor Seatools tells me anything

92:5QM25EB6:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08512:WUXISG:2008-07-15:N/A:OEM:cirap:Sweden:fine:Vista X64:Hiper 580W

that's all the info I could find out. if someone can tell me how to find the rest I will update the post, but since my drive is fine I won't bother with it right now

edit: I could find out the rest of the stuff by removing the front cover of my case and peeking in, didn't have to remove the side panel or take out the drive ;)

to clarify: I bought the disc at a retailer, but it says "For OEM Use" on the drive. so I assume I should of put OEM in the data?

Edited by cirap