Seagate 7200.11 fail & fine dataset

How do I find out the Part N°? Drive Detect nor Seatools tells me anything

Isn't it on the label on the top of the drive? "P/N" = Part Number...

edit: took care of it

Edited by cirap

9QM*****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-335:SD15:09085:*:KRATSG:2008-12-15:N/A:RETAIL:Anon-E-moose:USA:fine:

I run linux(gentoo), XP(for games) and testing win7 x64, no problems (yet - fingers crossed)

Power supply antec 500, MB ECS GeForce6100PM

System stays powered on, pretty much 24/7 (powered down 6 times including the seagate install)

Edited by Anon-E-moose

Long story short:

-ST31000340AS with Firmware SD15 (working)

-Seagate support acknowledged that the drive is affected

-Seagate support suggests firmware upgrade to AD14

-upgraded firmware, drive bricked.

Thank you, Seagate.

LOL, you're not alone donnerzusel, the same thing happened to me!

Only the model was different, mine is a ST3750330AS

Gradius

Edited by Gradius2

Oh yes baby !! :ph34r:

I just fixed my ST3750330AS with AD14 firmware (it was SD15 originally). :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

YESSS!! I love myself (hehe).

Now I have just 2 (two) HDs to recovery (both are with BSY problem).

Hey donnerzusel, I have the solution. :ph34r:

Your drive is a ST31000340AS with SD15, and now it have a AD14, right?

If so, just burn this ISO (at 4x max), disconnect every drive (except the bad one), config your BIOS to IDE or IDE Extended (don't use it as RAID or AHCI), then boot the CD and follow the simple instructions.

Keep in mind this will ONLY works for those with SD15, SD16, SD17, SD18, SD19 and AD14 drives and those models:

ST3500320AS, ST3640330AS, ST3750330AS, ST31000340AS

Fixed SD1A firmware

Don't forget to unrar with WinRAR (.iso inside) before to burning.

Gradius

Number:9QM3****:ST3500320AS:9BX154-303:SD15:08411:KRATSG:2008/07/15:2009/01/16:OEM:Verdilith:UK:fail :Windows XP SP2:

This is actually my second drive - the first was DOA, I returned it and got the one above. Unfortunately, I didn't make a note of what the f/w or anything was, assuming it was just "one of those things". It was a 500GB ST3500320AS though, and like the second one, wasn't being detected in the BIOS.

Edited by verdilith

Number:9QJ03****:ST31000340AS:9BX158-335:SD15:08461:KRATSG:2008/07/15:2009/01/19:Microcenter:MinneapolisMN:US:fail :Windows XP SP3:

How or were to you buy the unlocking BSY stuff? This is a major video editing drive that is only a temp drive were I put files on to be edited before saving the master catalogs to several other drives.

This has really hosed me big time and I just bought a 1.5 TB drive last week that I'm going to be backing up to a 1tb Western Digital Drive now.

I was in the middle of backing up data from the 1TB SeaBrick last night and shut the computer down to power the system down and swap USB drives to back up data. Powered it back up and NADDA. Not even showing up in the bios. After pullling it out of the computer I put it in a SATA docking station to try it on several other computers and nothing. Even the copy of Ontrack could not see this thing.

How do I fix the BSY issue

Using a repair kit I purchased online (not cheap!) I was able to connect to the drive through a special serial connection that I did not recognize in my 15+ years of PC experience. With the included software I was able to clear the BSY (busy) lock on the HDD and also the 0GB detect issue. Full functionality was restored and the data intact. The kit was expensive so if the data is not valuable then I recommend RMAing it in.

Where did you buy the kit, I want one.

Gradius2 did u apply the fixed SD1A firmware to the ST3750330AS ?

Yes, but since it was a ST3750330AS and originally a SD15.

I have been flashed with AD14, and got error after POST (drive not ready), it was like that for days, until $eagate put SD1A on site and managed to flashing correctly.

Gradius

Gradius was your hdd bricked before you upgraded the firmware or not ?

No it was working fine, but I got scared by the others two begin bricked (SD15 from August), so I decided to flash to AD14 and was a big mistake.

I have 4 (four) 750GB, all them are SD15, the only difference are the Date Code (2 from July, 2 from August).

I have 2 (two) 1TB too with CC1F, so far those are working fine, but the problem is the cache bug on HD Tuner it reports them all (750GB & 1TB) as N/A on buffer, this worry me.

Gradius

i do not know for sure but i doubt it?

if the drive cannot be detected then it is pretty hard to apply firmware....

It detected fine on BIOS, but at the end of POST, it returned "drive not ready", and I couldn't access my datas anymore.

I knew all along if I managed to firmware again with the right fw, I could recover my drive.

Gradius

Where did you buy the kit, I want one.

No need to buy any kit, except RS232 to TTL, or USB>RS232>TTL adapters.

They costs $15 or less.

The entire solution is here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807

Gradius

Edited by puntoMX

i do not know for sure but i doubt it?

if the drive cannot be detected then it is pretty hard to apply firmware....

It detected fine on BIOS, but at the end of POST, it returned "drive not ready", and I couldn't access my datas anymore.

yep that was my point - the drive you applied the new firmware to was not in the BSY state, like others have been

yep that was my point - the drive you applied the new firmware to was not in the BSY state, like others have been

I have two drives on BSY state, I'll fix them as soon the RS232 to TTL adapter arrives here.

Gradius