Welcome to MSFN Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account

Photo

Can't access repair my PC option via F8 startup

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,066 posts

Is this because of cloning from an "old" drive or just normal. Does Windows emulate 512kb-sectors

I thinks it depends on the actual drive and if there is a "translation mode" in it's firmware set to "on" (via jumper or through OS driver :unsure:) , but I don't really have any detailed experience with these new 4 kb sector drives.

jaclaz

How to remove advertisement from MSFN

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts

Is this because of cloning from an "old" drive or just normal. Does Windows emulate 512kb-sectors

I thinks it depends on the actual drive and if there is a "translation mode" in it's firmware set to "on" (via jumper or through OS driver :unsure:) , but I don't really have any detailed experience with these new 4 kb sector drives.

jaclaz

Never Mind.... I ´ll find out some day :angel

Is there any way to get a larger upload-storage... or do i have to remove all the pictures?

Here is another Problem, which is really annoying to me.. I´m pretty sure that this is a LOL-Problem for Tripredacus mentioned in his signature ^^:
  • I installed Vista SP2 on this Notebook without unattended-answer-files or any other XML (no experiences since Vista, as i dont own a PC/Notebook at the moment, which is runnable for Vista (sometimes i ask myself why I always have to handle with this old crap or any other celeron-low-cached systems)
  • at OOBE i went to AUDIT-MODE
  • I pre-configured the system AND ACTIVATED IT!
  • But when i boot to OOBE again, i have to activate again, which i am not able to accept :angry:

2. Is there a way to ACTIVATE vista before running OOBE, not nessecery to activate at OOBE again?

If I have to use a unattended.xml, syspref.xml or anything like that, can I just put the information for the activation in it? I´ve read something about \Windows\Panther, but do not want to do all the steps through Windows System Image Manager!

I´ve been looking around but didn´t find a solution, just for the inverted problem:
Windows_welcome_may_not_prompt_for_product_key.doc
i guess, that should be OOBE

In this article of TechNet:
http://technet.micro...514(WS.10).aspx
it says:

Activating Windows before Shipping to a Customer

Most customers can easily manage activation after receiving their computers. But if you prefer, you can activate the software on behalf of your customers, making it easier for them to start using their new computers. After activation is completed, most users will not need to activate their installation again.

To activate Windows for your customer, use the unique Product Key from the certificate of authenticity (COA) label that is affixed to the specific computer, and activate the computer on behalf of the end user. Run the sysprep /oobe command to prepare the computer for delivery to the customer.
noteNote
You cannot make an image of an activated Windows installation and duplicate that image to another computer. If you do, Windows fails to recognize the activation and forces the end user to reactivate the installation manually.

But how... for me that doesn´t work. Always have to enter the VLK (without imaging or applying between AUDIT and OOBE)
And there are only about 3 times remained. I read somewhere that i can only activate online 10 times :angry:

Tripredacus, the HTML/VBS/JS-Problem has to wait. Is there a way to get a larger up-box? Or do i have to delete all these funny, little screenshots?

Edited by Schiiwa, 10 February 2011 - 08:31 PM.

The only good system is a sound-system !

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

Here is another Problem, which is really annoying to me.. I´m pretty sure that this is a LOL-Problem for Tripredacus mentioned in his signature ^^:
// snip //
But when i boot to OOBE again, i have to activate again, which i am not able to accept :angry:
// snip //
Tripredacus, the HTML/VBS/JS-Problem has to wait. Is there a way to get a larger up-box? Or do i have to delete all these funny, little screenshots?

:lol: first the "lol probloms" is a memory of a past user... :angel

You shouldn't be activating in Audit mode, as Sysprep resets activation. Listed as a benefit of sysprep. I'm not certain of a way to activate in Audit Mode. The systems I work with are activated in Audit Mode but sysprep still resets the activation. Anyways, never had a reason to activate Disty Windows since it is not allowed per the license I am bound by. :ph34r:

MSFN isn't meant to be anyone's personal storage. Even us staff have unlimited space for uploads I think, but I do not upload anything large here, because web space takes more money and potential to slow the forum down. You should check out Microsoft Live SkyDrive. I don't know a link to go to set one up, but here is the link to mine. I'm sure there is a way to set them up that way.

What specifically do you need to upload?
MSFN RULES | GimageX HTA for PE 3.x | lol probloms
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
Storage:
You missunderstood. I don´t want to use it as a storage or up large files. For this, there are 1000s of filehoster available like sendspace and all the others. But i wondered, why I can´t attach any screenshot anymore (the one with the script-error when trying to recover from DVD) I also wanted to attach the scripts. i think i have to remove the legacy screenshots. The problem is, that i often related my text to those pics. I realized that MSFN is not meant to upload any screenshots afterwards, because there is just 1 MB. This is a little bit confusing, because there was a popup of max-file-size of 64 mb!
1MB ... makes me feel like in 90s. Grafic-cards with 1 MB were premium :lol:

Activation:
There are 2 Keys. One on the sicker at the bottom, and the other one i extracted from the preinstalled OEM-version (Because I know such MS-related problems). Maybe i took the OEM-Key which is not compatible to the untouched, standard DVD. I´m not sure, which key i took for the last installation.

I will reinstall Vista now... And find out. But for sure, the last time! :angry:

i will take a raw-image before booting to oobe
Try if the key is asked about again (the one on the sticker)
If no, i will enter audit mode
then try again, if key is wanted.

If No --> Everthing is fine (just took the wrong key)
if Yes --> Sysprep will reset the activation like u said and I will have to find out in which file to put the activation-information (the key)
if it even is possible without an unattended.xml and all the stuff (XMLs) around there!

or i won´t be able to prepair the system for the owner (which SYSPREPair should be able to).... and sue MS for the complete waste of time :ph34r:

I am such glad that i backed up the \windows\softwaredistribution\download - Folder before deleting it!

Hope u will help me with the script-problem later ^^

P.S.: An installation of windows always end up in a reinstallation-party! :lol:

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts

You shouldn't be activating in Audit mode, as Sysprep resets activation. Listed as a benefit of sysprep. I'm not certain of a way to activate in Audit Mode. The systems I work with are activated in Audit Mode but sysprep still resets the activation. Anyways, never had a reason to activate Disty Windows since it is not allowed per the license I am bound by. :ph34r:

It was not a wrong key.... CTRL + SHIFT + F3 resets the activation as u said, tripredacus. For me the problem isn´t the activation @ all. But I just do NOT want to get prompted for the key. Can i put it in a file where windows will have a look @ or before oobe. If i do not enter audit-mode, i do not get the popup: "Enter your License key".
But then, for me, the system isn´t PREPaired.

now just remaining the problem with the java- and visual basic-scripts, which must have a little mistake (i think there is a line missing or something like that).... the error-output is:
'document.getElementById(_)' is zero or no object! Line 139

Bye.... Shiva

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

You need to add ProductKey to Windows-Shell-Setup in Specialize pass. Read about it here.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts

You need to add ProductKey to Windows-Shell-Setup in Specialize pass. Read about it here.

The problem i have is, that i do not think it will grab the unatted.xml from now. I would have to reinstall it with all the entries in this XML-File. For registration this is the setting:
<settings pass="specialize">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" >
<ProductKey>xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx</ProductKey>

The Installation is already done (not unattended).
I do not want to reinstall it. It is installed and configured through AUDIT-mode (pressed CTRL+SHIFT+F3) ... (This deleted the Information about the Key entered at the beginning of the installation, although i did not mark the GENERALIZE option)

Will an unattend.xml on UFD will be picked up NOW, if i put these lines shown above in it.... I don´t think so.... Thats why i thought about OOBE.XML.... maybe there is a way!? Or any other...
Maybe "sysprep /unattend:key.xml", with these 3 lines in it????

http://technet.micro...993(WS.10).aspx
Here in the Grafik specialize is before Audit, so it will be deleted as well.

But just realized a nice reg-path ... Maybe this could solve my problem ^^:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SL

Edited by Schiiwa, 22 February 2011 - 08:06 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

When you use Ctrl+Shift+F3 to enter audit mode. After you boot to the desktop, close the sysprep box. Then from start -> run you type:

c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /oobe /reboot /unattend:path_to_unattend.xml.

You probably should make sure your XML is validated, or else you may have to reinstall again if Setup/Sysprep doesn't like the file, or if it isn't built properly.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
Thank ya ... I will rearm and try some other things first.

I found a vbs-script (SLP1.vbs) and another interesting XML (SLP20Input.xml) in the orginal Factory.wim ... Will have a look at it first. Maybe the VBS can simply be executed ...

Also I will try the REG-Key mentioned in my last post.
Edit: Didn´t Work as expected!

Edited by Schiiwa, 24 February 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
The script SLP1.VBS and the Digital License-File (XrML) worked well!

Cheers!

Edited by Schiiwa, 24 February 2011 - 10:01 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

I found a vbs-script (SLP1.vbs) and another interesting XML (SLP20Input.xml) in the orginal Factory.wim ... Will have a look at it first. Maybe the VBS can simply be executed ...

I find it disheartening that Fujitsu would leave these files in their image... whatever happens, these files are non-redistributable, so you cannot share them or even post their code. Just an FYI.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts

I find it disheartening that Fujitsu would leave these files in their image... whatever happens, these files are non-redistributable, so you cannot share them or even post their code. Just an FYI.

They leave it on the Image, because the script will be executed after recovery, so it has to be there.

Did I post a code? I don´t think so. I use this file just for this notebook.... no worries please :angel:

An standard end-user won´t look into a image-file on an hidden partition... Thats the point... It was really funny to get through the whole costumized installation-prozess with lots of CMDs, VBSs, EXEs, UNATTEND.XML, OOBE.XML and so on. But finally with success :ph34r:

But now the Recovery-Partition is nearly up-to-date. One thing, which I don´t like is the standard-keyboard-layout in the drop down. When I boot into it, it shows always US, but i want DE. There is no Lang.ini. I think, the BOOT.WIM´s metadata is responsable for that:

imagex /info boot.wim --> <defaultlanguage>en-US ... i couldn´t figure out if there is a way to edit this one... i already tryed
Intlcfg.exe /image:Bla:\BLA.wim /defaultlang:de-de --> no Lang.ini

I think i have to use another boot.wim for last cosmetically modification. Or any better ideas?

Edited by Schiiwa, 24 February 2011 - 09:55 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

I'm not sure how to use an unattend on the boot image (from a partition), you could try rebuilding the boot wim but there is a problem. The Vista WinRE really isn't anything besides a WinPE and the recovery front-end. That was the problem with Vista, MS made you write the recovery software.

Anyways, about the Fujitsu files, there is no reason those actually need to be there to run a recovery. :unsure:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
For sure, there are other ways, too. But FSC choose the integration with SLP1.vbs ... And lotz of other CMDs and REGs ... It´s really a transparent install-routine.... unfortunately with some bugs.

I already mentioned the thing, when you cancel the recovery hta-script, there is a massage: System reset to default succesfully :wacko:

I´m not that fimilar to VBS, though i will leave the bug in there (and as it is not my Notebook :sneaky: )

I could attach it, if you would like to have a look at it (also the DVD-Burning is still not working :realmad: )
But it is really a huuuuuuge vbs, so be warned

I tryed to modify the BCD of the WinRE partition, but still it is US-Standard:
bcdedit -store bcd -set {bootmgr} locale de-DE
bcdedit -store bcd -set {default} locale de-DE

Yeah... I know... i would have to compile a oem????.exe... do not remember the whole name, but i got a compiled one somewhere in this forum ^^ ... But if i build my own one, it will be a Win7-one....

You can win a washing-machine if you answer these questions:
  • 1. Is it the reason, that the WINRE-Part. is the first one, so that it can still accessed if I would quickformat C: because it is located in front of it?
  • 2. How many spare-sectors do HDD-manufactures include regulary?

Have a nice day... Schiiwa

Edited by Schiiwa, 28 February 2011 - 02:21 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

Ha my HTA does things like that too because I do not have good error handling in it.

Anyways, you cannot post any files found within the recovery partition.
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

standingbear

standingbear

• 27 posts
yay... barracuda 7200.11 bsy problem fixed and got all the data back. Ran into many troubles during the process and hadn't it been MSFN and jaclaz, I probably would've thought the disk is FUBAR and tossed it away.

Posted Image

Edited by standingbear, 09 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Tripredacus

Tripredacus

K-Mart-ian Legend

• Super Moderator
  • 9,710 posts

Donator

Seems like a misplaced post. Oh well the happy bunny says it all! :lol:
msfn2_zpsc37c7153.jpg

jaclaz

jaclaz

The Finder

• Developer
  • 14,066 posts

Seems like a misplaced post. Oh well the happy bunny says it all! :lol:

Yep :thumbup , It is a (cute :)) "thank you bunny" connected to:
http://www.msfn.org/.../page__st__4296

jaclaz

Schiiwa

Schiiwa

Junior

• Pip
  • 77 posts
I have here an Acer Aspire 5720G from another Girlfriend.

I was able to boot to WinRE, but there where just the Standard-Options (no Recovery-Option)! ALT+F10 didn't do its job. To WinRE i bootet with F8-->Repair Computer. In the Root of the PQSERVICE-Partition (X:) there was a D2D32.EXE but i wasn't sure if this EXE should be executet through a routine (with switches for example)!

So I went to RYTOOLS-DIR and restored the Factory-MBR with the following command:
MBRWRWIN INSTALL RTMBR.BIN

Now ALT+F10 works fine again and eRecovery will be shown ;)

Cheers.... Schiiwa

EDIT:
Posted Image

Edited by Schiiwa, 21 January 2013 - 06:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to remove advertisement from MSFN