Can't play wmv

Octopuss

I got BusinessN Vista, which means there is no WMP (hooray), but despite the fact I got FFDShow installed I cannot play win. media stuff at all.

What shall I do?

not a matter of worry go to control pannel open program and features then click on turn windows features on or off then select media player from the list and wai for some time you'll get the media player installed in your system and you'll be able to play all windows media stuff :rolleyes:

Tried what you suggested anyway and there is no WMP support in that tab at all. So I don't know. I vLited my installation of course, but didn't spot anything that'd have anything to do with compatibility or support for this...

Wmp9 is the BEST of the series

That's very much like saying "the BEST Vanilla Ice album" or something -- it's not saying much, at all! Even "least bad" is an understatement here. Not that I think v9 is actually any better than all the others.

While I don't like nor use WMP, I see no real point to get the N version. Just don't use the player, it doesn't get in your way, start by itself or anything... Just like IE: worst POS ever, but there's nothing forcing me to use it either.

Codecs won't help, I need to install support for the format first... Is it called splitter? Well I might just install the non-N version anyway... It's just that I like to have as little crap in the system as possible (even if it's not used).

The EU wanted WMP and all it's input into the OS removed, thus Windows "N". Removing the windows media player binaries also removed the .dlls responsible for the runtime, and like the others said to get it back you must install the runtimes. However, I've heard of many instances of people complaining the runtimes don't install on the N version due to the expectation that certain WMP .dll files will exist (and don't on N), thus the failure. If you need the WMP components (even if you're simply using them to play WMx in another player), I would strongly suggest the full-blown version of Windows. I believe you save less than 15MB of disk space with the removal of WMP versus full-blown versions of Windows (and you can always tell XP to remove the traces of the app from the shell/menus and still leave everything behind).