Windows 7 Beta + WAIK 7

fizban, I was expecting your response from MaxXP. He's been going on about $OEM$ extinction since Vista beta which is why I posted on this thread. You're preaching to the choir... :P

That being said, I am just diving into Win7 and would like to know more about datawim. Quick rundown? Is it part of DSIM? Because I just started poking at it yesterday.

Verification code and what have you - I do not mind. I agree with you there on time taken. However, if you're running a slower processor it seems like a mindless waste and you find yourself wondering exactly what the **** thing is doing. You don't notice the expanse on say, a quad core. As long as it works, I'll wait.

From latest and greatest unattend.chm

For details on creating a data image, see the topic Create a Data Image in the OEM Preinstallation Kit or Windows Automated Installation Kit. WAIK.chm

Although $OEM$ is still supported, it is no longer the preferred method of adding data.

I still use $OEM$ folders cause it's second nature since started doing this back with XP. Using my UA App to just copy things to appropriate folder then as far as SEVEN, mount image and move/copy everything where it need's to be. simple... no extra work and all is contained within 1 .wim

Right on MaxXP. I'm having issues with V7UA saying pkmgr missing? - I'm assuming you have not added DISM command? Looking forward to it Sir.

If $OEM$ works and since it is second nature to me also then it truly is difficult teaching a dog new tricks. Although I am open to learning something new. :)

• 1 month later...
for Windows7 use DISM to mount the Image!
Thanks I'll look at it but the old imagex does still work also and faster than the new one

@ChimeraDev

2 xmls you are trying to do Audit passes?

That I don't have working yet but with single FULL xml I checked with WAIK 7. I placed on floppy but you can put on floppy/usb/%DVDroot% I had a near flawless UA installion and didn't ask for key :whistle:

I have been having trouble booting from my USB drive and have it see/launch my Autounattend.xml

It works fine from a DVD just not when I boot from the usb drive

My question is does anybody have any experience with aplying unattended file to the image?

dism /image:c:\mount\ /apply-unattend:c:\unattend.xml

I have tried applying it to Vista Ultimate in Install.wim but it does not take, my other question is: do I have to apply it to one of the Boot.wim images?

Edited by ricktendo64

Good question ricktendo64...

I'm making my bootable USB to try an unattended install of Win7 but i didn't apply the XML. I will try it just the way i always do with Vista to see if it works.

Did you use the new WAIK to update your XML file and point it to the new WIM image? I already did so.

The thing that your XML is working from DVD but not from USB is weird. It should get applied.

but the old imagex does still work also and faster than the new one

:blink: imageX is just a compatibility app which calls DISM, so it can't be faster :wacko:

Perhaps you don't understand. I am using my one application that I am running and creating Win 7 dvd's on XP, Vista and from Seven so I see all the different things. I am still in debug mode right now and trying to find the things that work and don't work

You can mount with imagex and then call dism if you want.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have downloaded windows7 and WAIK ; I have windows7 rc running already on this machine ; I want to create an unattend install with waik (I haven't used waik before) ; can you please guide me on how to start on this one ?

I have installed WAIK for windows7 and I have the ISO for windows7 ?

Whats next ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards

Hi All,

I have downloaded windows7 and WAIK ; I have windows7 rc running already on this machine ; I want to create an unattend install with waik (I haven't used waik before) ; can you please guide me on how to start on this one ?

I have installed WAIK for windows7 and I have the ISO for windows7 ?

Whats next ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks and Regards

To get started, copy the contents of the dvd to a folder on your hard drive, open install.wim (located in sources folder) with WAIK and add a new XML file. You can then read the documentation that comes with WAIK to make you Autounattend.xml file.

But, it would be better to read Firegeier's guide for unattended Vista first, since all the principles are the same for Windows 7.

but the old imagex does still work also and faster than the new one

:blink: imageX is just a compatibility app which calls DISM, so it can't be faster :wacko:

Perhaps you don't understand. I am using my one application that I am running and creating Win 7 dvd's on XP, Vista and from Seven so I see all the different things. I am still in debug mode right now and trying to find the things that work and don't work

You can mount with imagex and then call dism if you want.

That's what I'm doing. I mount wim's with ImageX and then use DISM for servicing them.

DISM can mount but I'm getting used first to its new command-line parameters before I ditch ImageX for mounting/commiting images.

• 2 weeks later...
To get started, copy the contents of the dvd to a folder on your hard drive, open install.wim (located in sources folder) with WAIK and add a new XML file. You can then read the documentation that comes with WAIK to make you Autounattend.xml file.

But, it would be better to read Firegeier's guide for unattended Vista first, since all the principles are the same for Windows 7.

Hi Elajua,

Thanks for your reply, I went on to firegeiers website but its down ; not accessible ; have you got the document you can email me ; digeratimag at gmail dot com

Thanks and regards