Adobe CS4 Silent Install

kenlau

After posting on to silently install Adobe CS3, I finally got around to Adobe CS4.

It would seems that the method to silently install CS4 is exactly the same as that of CS3, with all the usual caveats, i.e., straight quotes, etc. Moreover, it would seem that silent install will also work even if the application.override.xml file does not exist in the relevant payload folder. I forgot to include the application.override.xml file and the silent install still proceed without any errors.

As well, contrary to what Adobe says, a volume license is NOT NECESSARY, as I used normal single retail license, and it works. Nonetheless, a LEGITIMATE product key is prerequisite. Silent install WILL NOT WORK if you create your deployment file by selecting "Trial" installation if you are using download trial software. However, the trial software will silently install if you provide legitimate product keys.

The major difference between CS3 and CS4 is that it is no longer required to activate manually in CS4. Activation is now done automatically in the background in CS4, whether you wanted it to or not.

---------------Updates--------------------

The silent install all failed dismally when burned to a DVD if the original software was downloaded from Adobe website. To successfully silently install from DVD, follow instructions given here. Note that in this example, CS4 was burned to the root of the DVD drive.

If you have different Adobe applications, i.e., Dreamweaver, Flash as separate applications in separate folder in the DVD, you have to change the "Adobe CS4" to your folder name, instead of just deleting it in the setup.xml file. For example, if you have your Dreamweaver as the folder name, just change "Adobe CS4" to "Dreamweaver". Note that you must have the Dreamweaver folder under the root of the DVD. If you have, say the "Dreamweaver" as a subfolder under, say "Adobe", it will not work, even if you change the payload folder location to "Adobe\Dreamweaver".

Finally, just my 2 cents worth, but what the hell was Adobe thinking when they came up with this mess of installers? It is not overly complicated if you understand how it works, but the problem is that almost nobody knows how it works, certainly not Adobe staff. The documentation is a joke, as it deal strictly under ideal scenario. Deviate, and you wonder what the hell went wrong.

Edited by kenlau