Is your Seagate harddrive affected by the BIOS detection bug?

Hello,

I have read the threads about the Seagate BIOS detection bug, and it seems that there is an online check available now in order to check if your specific drive is affected. You have to enter a serial number and the onlie check tells you if your drive is affected or nor.

http://support.seagate.com/sncheck.html

In this thread, I'd like to collect information which drives are affected, and which are not, since it is not yet clear if it is a firmware issue ir something else. Note: the Date-Code can be found on top of your drive. I will start with my ST31500341AS:

Model: ST31500341AS

Firmware version: CC1H

Date Code: 09254

Serial Number: 6VS03***

Seagate-Tool says: NOT affected

Jackie

Edited by Jackie78

Model: ST3500320AS

Firmware version: SD15

Date Code: 08225

Serial Number: 5QM00***

Site Code: WUXISG (Made in China)

Produced: 2007-12-05

Purchased: 2008-01-21

Seagate-Tool says: NOT affected

Edited by Jack_Steel

Model: ST3500320AS

Firmware version: SD15

Date Code: 09132

Serial Number: 9QM7A***

Site Code: KRATSG Made in Thailand

Seagate-Tool says: AFFECTED ... (after typing serial in upper-case letters)....

Date of purchase: November 2008

Edited by Toppits

u can enter any number or whatever gibberish , it will still say your drv is not affected. maybe the db is not online yet

This seems not true, many users have reported that their drive is reported as affected. So maybe the database is incomplete, but I think it is simply faulty, which frightens me, since this could mean Seagate themself don't know which drives actually might be affected.

u can enter any number or whatever gibberish , it will still say your drv is not affected. maybe the db is not online yet

This seems not true, many users have reported that their drive is reported as affected. So maybe the database is incomplete, but I think it is simply faulty, which frightens me, since this could mean Seagate themself don't know which drives actually might be affected.

using Upper-case instead of lowercase letters, it says my drive is affected. yay

@CheshireCat

Really?

SD15 + KRATSG + 2008-08-20 and your serial ist similar to mine......

Did you check your serial in upper-case letters? My first check-result in lower-case letters was "not affected", too...but...

@Toppits

Yes all uppercase. I also talked to two guys at seagate chat support.

One sad that it is affected for sure.. And it's better keep it on 24/7 until update is released.

Second one said that it's NOT affected and it's completely safe to turn it on/off.

But i asked the second guy if he could add my email to a subscription and he did that. He told me that as soon as firmware is available i will be emailed with a link.

They don't know themselves what's going on... I will go later this week and buy 1TB WD to clone my data and forget about the mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Model: ST31000340AS

Firmware version: SD81

Serial Number: 9QJ1****

Seagate-Tool says: affected

not just affected, but already inaccessible and unrecognized by my computer for about a week now.

also the drive is out of warranty, so no chance at free data recovery or replacement.

is there any way of recovering this data without paying hundreds or thousands of dollars?

I'll probably be getting a WD to replace this.

Edited by aXemeXa

SNo Serial number Result Action

1 9VS0SP4G Drive is not affected. No action required.

2 9VS0Q09B Drive is not affected. No action required.

3 9VS0K7M5 Drive is not affected. No action required.

4 9VS0SFQ4 Drive is not affected. No action required.

Sorry, don't have more info than this.